Rumble upon hard acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-23, 06:48 PM
Dunhill421
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think he’s telling the truth and it makes alot
of sense.
I always said it feels like it starts in the back of the car and travels to the front.

that would make sense that the clutch is slipping or some other issue

hopefully there is a fix. And yes I love my car.
just want it to not do that vibration when I lean into it a little bit.
The following users liked this post:
Datanator (05-30-23)
Old 05-30-23, 07:19 PM
Datanator
Driver

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

@Dunhill421, I agree - I do think there is legitimacy to what he's saying.
Look - in the spirit of being helpful to you, If your dealership needs to know more, have them contact Nalley Lexus in Roswell, Georgia. The service department should be familiar with this topic. Maybe some cross-pollenation with these service departments would be a good thing!

///D
The following 2 users liked this post by Datanator:
Dunhill421 (05-31-23), GregJK1 (07-14-23)
Old 05-31-23, 02:11 AM
Dunhill421
Driver

That’s a great idea. I will let them know when I go in for my next service.
thank you bud.
GregJK1 (07-14-23)
Old 05-31-23, 06:12 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 573 Likes on 404 Posts

Appreciate the update. Just a bit of a side story about the AWD clutch if that is the case. The clutch that handles the rear drive is new design for Lexus NX and RX. Toyota and Lexus have been busy dreaming up new magnetic clutches for the rear drive lately. In the RAV4 Limited (and Highlander), they designed a new AWD system that has clutches that completely disconnect the drive shaft and rear drive. First years (2019-2020) they had a number of issues with noise and vibration (people called it the "Mooo"). Lexus went a completely different way for the NX/RX, instead of a disconnect system they actually took the standard Toyota AWD (which allows for disconnect but only aft, so drive shaft is always spinning), and beefed up the clutch so that NX has full time AWD (no disconnect at all). The clutch regulates power distribution at the rear from 25% to 50% so there is typically some slip occurring depending on circumstance.

Last edited by Droid13; 05-31-23 at 06:18 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Droid13:
Datanator (05-31-23), GregJK1 (07-14-23)
Old 05-31-23, 12:56 PM
Datanator
Driver

Originally Posted by Droid13
Appreciate the update. Just a bit of a side story about the AWD clutch if that is the case. The clutch that handles the rear drive is new design for Lexus NX and RX. Toyota and Lexus have been busy dreaming up new magnetic clutches for the rear drive lately. In the RAV4 Limited (and Highlander), they designed a new AWD system that has clutches that completely disconnect the drive shaft and rear drive. First years (2019-2020) they had a number of issues with noise and vibration (people called it the "Mooo"). Lexus went a completely different way for the NX/RX, instead of a disconnect system they actually took the standard Toyota AWD (which allows for disconnect but only aft, so drive shaft is always spinning), and beefed up the clutch so that NX has full time AWD (no disconnect at all). The clutch regulates power distribution at the rear from 25% to 50% so there is typically some slip occurring depending on circumstance.
thanks. I love learning how these things function. I suppose time will tell as to what the root cause of this is but hopefully they are onto something. Thanks for the info I love this stuff.
GregJK1 (07-14-23)
Old 08-09-23, 11:38 PM
GregJK1
2nd gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Update at 5,000 Mile Service

Originally Posted by GregJK1
I have experienced this with my 2023 NX 350 F Sport and have had it driven by the shop foreman to duplicate. Although I have felt this in all 3 modes, it is most apparent in Sport +. Typically, the "rumble" is noticeable at about 35 - 40 mph and 4-5,000 rpm. As most of you have noticed, this does not occur when you accelerate full throttle to reach passing speed, only from a slight rolling or dead stop. I do not have an answer yet, but they have duplicated the problem and are filing a report with Lexus. I'll post anything I find out. Current mileage 1,100.
Just an update. Service Department Manager/Lead Tech advised that Lexus is aware of the problem due to an increasing number of reports. Unfortunately, I did not get details, but a software fix is supposed to be made available within the next few months to resolve the issue. I will update you when I have anything further.
Dunhill421 (08-10-23)
Old 08-10-23, 03:00 AM
Dunhill421
Driver

Just an update. Service Department Manager/Lead Tech advised that Lexus is aware of the problem due to an increasing number of reports. Unfortunately, I did not get details, but a software fix is supposed to be made available within the next few months to resolve the issue. I will update you when I have anything further.
Thank you for the update. I’ve had no luck with my dealership. Even contacting Lexus Corporate they said it’s a normal characteristic of the car which we know it is not.

im standing by for any other updates as to help
thank you.
Old 12-14-23, 10:35 AM
Dunhill421
Driver

See Above Comment
Old 12-14-23, 10:37 AM
Dunhill421
Driver

can you provide the name of the dealership and the service manager so I can try and reach out regarding his knowledge or stance on this issue?
I have an appointment the week of Christmas with the service manager and diag tech regarding this issue.
Old 02-18-24, 05:21 PM
dcmr1888
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any updates from the dealership visit? My 2024 NX350 F-sport has the same issue. Rumble under hard acceleration, goes away at around 50mph. Only 2,500 miles on the car, but will bring this up during my next visit to the dealership. Thanks!
Old 02-18-24, 08:30 PM
Datanator
Driver

Originally Posted by dcmr1888
Any updates from the dealership visit? My 2024 NX350 F-sport has the same issue. Rumble under hard acceleration, goes away at around 50mph. Only 2,500 miles on the car, but will bring this up during my next visit to the dealership. Thanks!
My service department diagnosed this - see post #30 in this thread where I explained the findings.
Old 02-18-24, 09:38 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 566 Likes on 375 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Datanator
My service department diagnosed this - see post #30 in this thread where I explained the findings.
But you still haven't gotten it fixed ? Lexus should have addressed this problem and fixed it by now. Have you escalated the problem ?
Hope you get it fixed soon.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 02-19-24, 06:15 AM
dcmr1888
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by midcow3
But you still haven't gotten it fixed ? Lexus should have addressed this problem and fixed it by now. Have you escalated the problem ?

YMMV,
MidCow3
What I'm concerned about. Seems like a well documented issue at this point, but Lexus and the dealerships are puzzled, two years into it.
Old 02-19-24, 06:23 AM
Datanator
Driver

Originally Posted by midcow3

YMMV,
MidCow3

Candidly, I all but forgot about the issue. It hasn’t been fixed and I didn’t escalate. I suppose it doesn’t bother me enough to spend more time on it. I own a business and I’m just too busy to chase this thing.

Stepping away from my reasons for not following through, I do have to say I’m disappointed in Lexus for allowing this and other problems to make it to market. This is my first Lexus and I did have high expectations for near perfection. It hasn’t soured me on the brand, but it definitely has lowered my likelihood of a repeat purchase.
Old 02-19-24, 11:07 AM
Dunhill421
Driver

Originally Posted by dcmr1888
my dealership has no idea why this happens. They have had me drive a few different cars 2023 and even a 2024 and it is present on every one of them.
they are saying this is a normal characteristic of this model. And I don’t have a leg to stand on because of this.
I wish whoever had the dealer tell them they knew what was wrong could please post that dealer information with the name of the service advisor. I could have the head technician at my dealership call them to help get this escalated to lexus even further.

Quick Reply: Rumble upon hard acceleration