NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

One key fob :-( (Merged single key fob issue threads)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-23, 05:03 PM
GXWes
Pit Crew

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Sounds
My friend lost an Audi key fob. Dealer wants $800 to replace it. Is it gouging or supply and demand blackmail…. Regardless where I come from we call it robbery.
Replacement key fob

Cut the metal to fit the car

Program the key to the vehicle

Thats like 500 with a Lexus
The following users liked this post:
Billst (08-24-23)
Old 07-31-23, 05:04 PM
GXWes
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Sounds
Our NX did not come with the “card”
and the app is worthless
Couple people have posted here saying they found a thin credit card key in the glove box after delivery
Billst (08-07-23)
Old 07-31-23, 06:52 PM
Sounds
Advanced

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by GXWes
Couple people have posted here saying they found a thin credit card key in the glove box after delivery
I think mine disappeared.
Billst (08-24-23)
Old 08-06-23, 05:39 AM
Billst
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Default The Chip scam

Dealers (and customers) are given the story that cars get only one key due to shortage of chips.
Restrict the number of keys and they can build more Cars.

But let us consider that with some logic.
A Lexus car has something in the region of 3,000 chips.
The key has ONE.

So saving one key per car needs 3000 keys to make one extra car ???

Is this a particularly rare and expensive chip?
it does have an Id and the only other reference I quickly find is in Medical ID tags. Expensive Not
They have been produced for years so production costs are now very low.

But they cost us some $500 to replace ….

So why the extremely restricted supply. A restriction that does a great deal of damage to the reputation of a very expensive luxury car manufacturer.

I have only come up with one easy explanation. Security. A toe rag can easily carry 999 $2 chips in their pocket and drive off with any Lexus they fancy.
But unlikely if they are $500 for each combination. (We know that the number of different combinations is small due to the key replacement tag- 5 digits that must include a checksum). It is easy to foil combination rotation with timing.

Can anyone come up with a better explanation?

Last edited by Billst; 08-06-23 at 05:43 AM.
Old 08-06-23, 06:47 AM
Sounds
Advanced

deleted …..

Last edited by Sounds; 08-23-23 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-07-23, 06:09 AM
Tinkertech
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Just to repeat what I wrote about in a earlier thread:

Time to get real.

Auto manufactures could get as many chips as they need or want but don't want to pay the premium price point due to limited supply of some chips at the present.

They are waiting for the price of the chips to come down and supply catches up and the chips are cheaper due to them being in less demand and also due to them already being second generation designs. These simple chips have a very low profit margin thus semiconductor manufactures use their production lines to produce more profitable chips. Manufacture low production = limited supply = higher price. Remember Price Point.

I've been in the semiconductor industry for over 40 years, I know what I'm talking about.

Chips or as known in the industry as 'Dies' cost pennies to manufacture in
quanity for such a simple chip. On these simple chips you can get thousand of them on one wafer. And the chips used in keys are very simple chips.

Plain and simple, this is a scam $$$.

When a major module was left out of the car durning assembly and promised latter, as some manufactures did, it was because the module used numerous microprocessors and the specialized custom chips ($$$$). Remember price point. There is a major difference between these two different items (key / module). And please note that they were not going to hold up the auto production line due to missing a module.

No key, no problem the customer can just wait until we make it available and then let your car sit at the dealership until they decide to program the key or in case of a module program it and install it. No extra profit to be made, you already paid for it when you bought the car.

Some specialized chips are hard to come by at a price point the manufacture is willing to pay, so they won't, and then they make up excuses.

Also a lot of the cars will not be owned by the original buyer when the key becomes available and the second owner is gonna be out of luck. Dealers respond "we don't know anything about that, that car came with both keys" after 6 months or a year latter but our parts dept will sell you a new one for $$$$$. Amazing they had them in stock to sell, lucky you.

I remember when the auto manufactures also did this with spare tires years ago, same oh, same oh.

Missing items will become more prevalent if the buying public puts up with it.

Sorry for the rant but I really hate dishonesty.

Last edited by Tinkertech; 08-07-23 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Shortened and more concise.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tinkertech:
Billst (08-07-23), SgtLip (08-08-23), weaver483 (08-07-23)
Old 08-08-23, 02:06 PM
Smooth2o
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinkertech
Just to repeat what I wrote about in a earlier thread:

Time to get real.

Auto manufactures could get as many chips as they need or want but don't want to pay the premium price point due to limited supply of some chips at the present.

They are waiting for the price of the chips to come down and supply catches up and the chips are cheaper due to them being in less demand and also due to them already being second generation designs. These simple chips have a very low profit margin thus semiconductor manufactures use their production lines to produce more profitable chips. Manufacture low production = limited supply = higher price. Remember Price Point.

I've been in the semiconductor industry for over 40 years, I know what I'm talking about.

Chips or as known in the industry as 'Dies' cost pennies to manufacture in
quanity for such a simple chip. On these simple chips you can get thousand of them on one wafer. And the chips used in keys are very simple chips.

Plain and simple, this is a scam $$$.

When a major module was left out of the car durning assembly and promised latter, as some manufactures did, it was because the module used numerous microprocessors and the specialized custom chips ($$$$). Remember price point. There is a major difference between these two different items (key / module). And please note that they were not going to hold up the auto production line due to missing a module.

No key, no problem the customer can just wait until we make it available and then let your car sit at the dealership until they decide to program the key or in case of a module program it and install it. No extra profit to be made, you already paid for it when you bought the car.

Some specialized chips are hard to come by at a price point the manufacture is willing to pay, so they won't, and then they make up excuses.

Also a lot of the cars will not be owned by the original buyer when the key becomes available and the second owner is gonna be out of luck. Dealers respond "we don't know anything about that, that car came with both keys" after 6 months or a year latter but our parts dept will sell you a new one for $$$$$. Amazing they had them in stock to sell, lucky you.

I remember when the auto manufactures also did this with spare tires years ago, same oh, same oh.

Well, there’s probably another reason too. That’s wafer capacity. It’s limited by the fab you have and if you want another larger one, well, wait 5 years. There are plenty of cars available now which means that these fabs are possibly at capacity. If so, you choose to build more expensive chips rather than the cheap, small, inexpensive fob chips. I see no reason that the dealer wouldn’t provide a 2nd fob, either. To what advantage? Small amount of profits for early fob purchases vs pissed off customers? But even if you had a shortage of fobs or chips, as a manufacturer, you would solve that problem quickly, not 2 years from now…. Something doesn’t add up.
Billst (08-09-23)
Old 08-09-23, 04:51 AM
Sounds
Advanced

I thank everyone that posts here (entire forum)... I learned a lot before I purchased our NX. I got my 2 at showtime
Billst (08-24-23)
Old 08-09-23, 12:29 PM
jihui88
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If you pay additional $500 for wireless charge that comes with wireless card key, etc, there is never a chip shortage. Assuming the chip for a key fob and wireless card key are the same exact chip.
Billst (08-10-23)
Old 08-11-23, 03:09 AM
Billst
Driver

Originally Posted by Tinkertech

And the chips used in keys are very simple chips.

Plain and simple, this is a scam.

Originally Posted by Smooth2o
Well, there’s probably another reason too. That’s wafer capacity. It’s limited by the fab you have and if you want another larger one, well, wait 5 years. There are plenty of cars available now which means that these fabs are possibly at capacity. If so, you choose to build more expensive chips rather than the cheap, small, inexpensive fob chips. I see no reason that the dealer wouldn’t provide a 2nd fob, either. To what advantage? Small amount of profits for early fob purchases vs pissed off customers? But even if you had a shortage of fobs or chips, as a manufacturer, you would solve that problem quickly, not 2 years from now…. Something doesn’t add up.
I have now lost all trust is Lexus.
First they claim lack of chips.
Then they delete the Card Key saying it could not carry the new security upgrade.
They say instead we should use a cellphone app - is that supposed to be more secure?? Or do they just want to shift the blame?

They place a connector behind a piece of plastic so thieves can connect in, open the car and drive it away.
It is reported that 10% of RX in areas of London and of Canada are being stolen. That is a lot of chips if there are ~3000 in each car.

Do they want cars stolen so they can sell more?
How can we trust Lexus or anything they say?
Old 08-11-23, 06:16 AM
Sounds
Advanced

Have a friend that just picked up an ES300.... came with 2 fobs and a card..... it's all business and no shortage of bull.

Last edited by Sounds; 08-11-23 at 07:59 PM.
Billst (08-24-23)
Old 08-11-23, 05:41 PM
Skedadle
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Not sure why anyone calls it’s a scam.

Lexus made a decision based on the number of keys available so that they could ship vehicles. They would really rather give everyone two keys and have to go through a warranty process at the dealer that probably cost them $100 every time they deliver one of the second keys.

Lexus ended up setting up an entirely different website for the second key distribution because it was too confusing to do the one penny charge back when the dealers ordered it through the regular parts system. This turns out to be a pretty expensive proposition distributing the keys later.
The following 2 users liked this post by Skedadle:
Kodiak412 (08-11-23), romer (08-11-23)
Old 08-11-23, 07:37 PM
Sounds
Advanced

Originally Posted by Skedadle

Lexus made a decision based on the number of keys available so that they could ship vehicles. They would really rather give everyone two keys and have to go through a warranty process at the dealer that probably cost them $100 every time they deliver one of the second keys.

Lexus ended up setting up an entirely different website for the second key distribution because it was too confusing to do the one penny charge back when the dealers ordered it through the regular parts system. This turns out to be a pretty expensive proposition distributing the keys later.
Wouldn't call it a scam.... But I'll gladly call it being short changed along with no spare.
Old 08-11-23, 08:59 PM
Billst
Driver

Originally Posted by Skedadle

I notice that you did get your card key. I did not. It was on the spec. when I placed the order.
Only confirmed no key when I picked up the car. They claim it does not work with new security.

They also do not tell you the mechanical key is useless for starting the car. Only to open it.

One reason that has been put forward is that you cannot sell a car with only one key fob. So you cannot gain from the price held while you waited for delivery.

Anyone with knowledge of chip fabrication knows that it does not take over a year to ramp up production. The excuse for no card key is also an indication of scam. How can it possibly be that buttons on the fob make it more secure? Again it makes us believe it IS a Scam.

How can one Trust anything that Lexus tell you?
Old 08-11-23, 10:35 PM
GXWes
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Billst
They claim it does not work with new security.
The Credit Card Key works on the 2nd Gen NX. You just need the right one

One key fob :-( - Page 5 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion
The following 2 users liked this post by GXWes:
Billst (08-11-23), romer (08-11-23)

Quick Reply: One key fob :-( (Merged single key fob issue threads)