NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

One key fob :-( (Merged single key fob issue threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-23 | 11:05 PM
Billst
Driver

Originally Posted by GXWes
The Credit Card Key works on the 2nd Gen NX. You just need the right one

One key fob :-( - Page 5 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion
I am sure you are right.
Problem is that Lexus deny it.
They refuse to fulfil the contract and supply it.

Hence my belief that my wife has been scammed - she bought the car for my birthday!
Old 08-11-23 | 11:29 PM
romer
Intermediate

I knew when I was waiting for my NX to be allocated that there was a chip shortage and I’d only get one fob initially. I, like almost everyone else I’m assuming, went into the purchase with my eyes wide open. I agreed to everything PRIOR to writing the check. So claiming it’s all been a scam all along doesn’t reflect well on the buyer. No one made anyone buy the NX. Having one fob for a few months is a first world problem.
The following users liked this post:
Billst (08-11-23)
Old 08-11-23 | 11:36 PM
Billst
Driver

Originally Posted by romer
I knew when I was waiting for my NX to be allocated that there was a chip shortage and I’d only get one fob initially. I, like almost everyone else I’m assuming, went into the purchase with my eyes wide open. I agreed to everything PRIOR to writing the check. So claiming it’s all been a scam all along doesn’t reflect well on the buyer. No one made anyone buy the NX. Having one fob for a few months is a first world problem.
I might agree if it were only the one fob. I did not like it but was willing to accept it.
But that was with the understanding that I would get a Card Key.
And manual key that would work.
Old 08-12-23 | 02:31 AM
GXWes
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Billst
I am sure you are right.
Problem is that Lexus deny it.
They refuse to fulfil the contract and supply it.

Hence my belief that my wife has been scammed - she bought the car for my birthday!
Have you tried calling Lexus Corporate? And filed a complaint?

A couple of people have posted here that they found the Credit Card key in glovebox after the car was delivered
Billst (08-12-23)
Old 08-12-23 | 04:41 AM
Tinkertech
Driver

A few months?

I've been waiting over 6 months as of now.
Old 08-12-23 | 04:48 AM
Sounds
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tinkertech
A few months?

I've been waiting over 6 months as of now.
I have a friend with an ES waiting over a year. Nice huh
Old 08-12-23 | 06:28 AM
Billst
Driver

Originally Posted by GXWes
Have you tried calling Lexus Corporate? And filed a complaint?

A couple of people have posted here that they found the Credit Card key in glovebox after the car was delivered
My dealer is trying to argue with them. I mentioned that some in the UK had the card key in the glove box and he asked for the names of the dealers where this had happened.
Old 08-12-23 | 02:34 PM
SeismicGuy
Pit Crew

We received one fob and one of the thin credit card keys when we picked the vehicle up on July 10 and were told the second fob would be available in a month give or take. We checked with the dealer the other day and it sounded like it would be soon and we would get an email about it. I don't think this is a scam since it seems like a pretty lame scam but suspect something else is going on but they are not being entirely honest about what it is.
Billst (08-12-23)
Old 08-12-23 | 03:02 PM
jihui88
Driver

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
We received one fob and one of the thin credit card keys when we picked the vehicle up on July 10 and were told the second fob would be available in a month give or take. We checked with the dealer the other day and it sounded like it would be soon and we would get an email about it. I don't think this is a scam since it seems like a pretty lame scam but suspect something else is going on but they are not being entirely honest about what it is.
I got my car around June and was told second key fob will be available in 3-4 months. People who purchased their NX on march-june are still waiting, so it is very unlikely that Lexus will send you the key in priority. Keep us posted.
Billst (08-12-23)
Old 08-14-23 | 09:08 AM
SdeGat
Driver

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
I wouldn’t mind the wait if they had given me the credit card key. 💁‍♂️
Billst (08-14-23)
Old 08-21-23 | 10:01 AM
Billst
Driver

Originally Posted by NupeLex23
When I purchased my '23 NX FS in Nov, 2023 and I received one fob, a key card and I also have the Digital Key feature. If you have both the key card or the Digital Key feature, you'll hardly miss the 2nd key fob.
But if you do not have the key card OR a working Digital Key feature such as with my ‘24 NX450h+ Takumi, a single fob key is simply not adequate. A spare key is certainly missed, particularly when the so-called Emergency Mechanical key will not switch on the engine either.

Lexus U.K. just say that is the TMC instruction. Not what you expect from a quality car or customer service.
Old 08-23-23 | 12:28 AM
Billst
Driver

Default Is Lexus guilty of discrimination?

While my remarks are specific to England, I would be most surprised if there were not very similar consumer protections in most other countries and States.
Source is https://www.gov.uk/discrimination-yo...inated-against

“Discrimination can come in one of the following forms:
  • direct discrimination - treating someone with a protected characteristic less favourably than others
  • indirect discrimination - putting rules or arrangements in place that apply to everyone, but that put someone with a protected characteristic at an unfair disadvantage”
Protected characteristic is also defined quite widely

“It is against the law to discriminate against anyone because of:
  • being married or in a civil partnership
  • being pregnant or on maternity leave
  • disability
  • race including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin
  • religion or belief
  • sex
  • sexual orientation”
So consider a disabled person with only one key who then misplaces that key and loses immediate access to transport. Without disability most can easily walk or find other transportation. Consider an elderly woman who loses her one and only key while at the roadside in an area without cellphone coverage.
There are clearly specific characteristics where a spare key is essential without major distress.
What may be a major inconvenience to some is a major danger to others. An “unfair disadvantage”

For some, an alternative is available, card key, digital key, even a second fob. But for others that is denied by TMC (Toyota Motor Company) edict. I do not blame local dealers for this edict, they are suffering almost as much as us through loss of business and respect, but they do have a responsibility to inform TMC if they are forced to break the law.

Oh … I must go … my wife has misplaced her keys in her handbag … again!

Last edited by Billst; 08-23-23 at 12:47 AM.
Old 08-23-23 | 01:52 AM
spbonzo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Billst
While my remarks are specific to England, I would be most surprised if there were not very similar consumer protections in most other countries and States.
Source is https://www.gov.uk/discrimination-yo...inated-against

“Discrimination can come in one of the following forms:
  • direct discrimination - treating someone with a protected characteristic less favourably than others
  • indirect discrimination - putting rules or arrangements in place that apply to everyone, but that put someone with a protected characteristic at an unfair disadvantage”
Protected characteristic is also defined quite widely

“It is against the law to discriminate against anyone because of:
  • being married or in a civil partnership
  • being pregnant or on maternity leave
  • disability
  • race including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin
  • religion or belief
  • sex
  • sexual orientation”
So consider a disabled person with only one key who then misplaces that key and loses immediate access to transport. Without disability most can easily walk or find other transportation. Consider an elderly woman who loses her one and only key while at the roadside in an area without cellphone coverage.
There are clearly specific characteristics where a spare key is essential without major distress.
What may be a major inconvenience to some is a major danger to others. An “unfair disadvantage”

For some, an alternative is available, card key, digital key, even a second fob. But for others that is denied by TMC (Toyota Motor Company) edict. I do not blame local dealers for this edict, they are suffering almost as much as us through loss of business and respect, but they do have a responsibility to inform TMC if they are forced to break the law.

Oh … I must go … my wife has misplaced her keys in her handbag … again!
They may be guilty of discrimination in the minds of the UK's Guardian reading or legal fraternity but I'd say generally that it's an inconvenience that people just need to live with.
Old 08-23-23 | 04:08 AM
BillUK
Intermediate

I can't see any law being broken here, as that would suggest that it's the manufacturers responsibiliity if an owner loses a key.

Besides, in the first example, a person who buys a new Lexus can probably afford an Uber if they lose their car key. As for the second example, chances are that any spare key would be at home anyway, but one could just as easily point the finger at cellphone companies for creating the "disadvantage". There are many things that might make some cars (or many other products, for that matter) unsuitable for various kinds of disabilities and conditions, but the law doesn't require manufacturers to accomodate them all. Sure, the situation is less than ideal, but I don't think it's breaking any laws.

At best, I think the dealer should inform any prospective buyer that they'll only get one key, and the buyer can decide how essential a second key is for their needs, or whether they should buy something else.
Kodiak412 (08-23-23)
Old 08-23-23 | 04:25 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Moderators please merge this 50th post on one key fob or close it.
tundotcom (08-23-23)

Quick Reply: One key fob :-( (Merged single key fob issue threads)