NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

One key fob :-( (Merged single key fob issue threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-23, 04:47 AM
Sounds
Advanced

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Most of us were aware of getting 1 fob. We had the option to buy or not buy. I turned my NX down at showtime until a second fob appeared. I was willing to walk.
Audi is doing the same … 1 fob
I don’t see any discrimination… “shafted” is my one word description.
The following users liked this post:
Billst (08-24-23)
Old 08-23-23, 04:51 AM
Sounds
Advanced

Originally Posted by Freds430
Moderators please merge this 50th post on one key fob or close it.
Hit the TRIANGLE icon to report/request threads or posts be moved or deleted.
Old 08-23-23, 07:44 AM
Kodiak412
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Did the disabled person let Lexus know that they need that second key perhaps more than others? It is not Lexus's responsibility to find out about peoples personal health information, and I would not want them searching for peoples health information either. If someone has specific needs they make others aware of those needs and then decide for themselves if that company is addressing that situation. If not walk. Nobody is making anyone buy a Lexus or anything else for that matter.
Sounds (08-23-23)
Old 08-23-23, 08:04 AM
Sounds
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kodiak412
Did the disabled person let Lexus know that they need that second key perhaps more than others? It is not Lexus's responsibility to find out about peoples personal health information, and I would not want them searching for peoples health information either. If someone has specific needs they make others aware of those needs and then decide for themselves if that company is addressing that situation. If not walk. Nobody is making anyone buy a Lexus or anything else for that matter.
I would think a (seriously) disabled person would seek the proper vehicle from the proper dealer. I would. When prices were not so out of hand I ordered a third fob. I enjoy insurance.
BTW...I took a policy that covers a lost/damaged fob. I wonder how long the fob will be In The Mail to me.
Old 08-23-23, 08:18 AM
SeismicGuy
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

This has got to be an article out of the Babylon Bee--no?
Old 08-23-23, 08:28 AM
Sounds
Advanced

I never met or dealt with discrimination from a car sales person / dealer. They will sell as much as they can for as much as they can to anyone they can. Equal opportunity sellers. Any questions?
Old 08-23-23, 01:44 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 155 Posts

I was told before I signed the dotted line that 1 key fob only. The dealer did not force me to buy. I made the decision and willing to live with it. Such as life I guess.
Sounds (08-23-23)
Old 08-23-23, 03:32 PM
GXWes
Pit Crew

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by lexsc4
I was told before I signed the dotted line that 1 key fob only. The dealer did not force me to buy. I made the decision and willing to live with it. Such as life I guess.
Every Lexus dealer in the country will sell you a key to your car. Today

You just have to tell them. I won't give you this 70.000 dollar check until I have two keys in my hands.

Trust me. You will get two keys. It may be a credit card key. A different style FOB, or an old school Valet style. But they will give you a second key. Before that money walks out the door
Billst (08-23-23)
Old 08-23-23, 07:42 PM
Billst
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

My wife who is disabled and is unable to walk without great pain ordered a Lexus last year specifically including two fobs and a card key.
We also could see on this website that the car could be run with a digital access that came with the wireless phone charger that we also ordered.
So we trusted Lexus to provide for our needs and safety. we paid the deposit and waited a year for delivery.

When we collected the car it was confirmed that one fob was to be withheld for an indeterminate time, we also then found that the card key was not going to be supplied. It was not in the glove compartment.
The dealer told us that he would write to Lexus, explain our circumstances, and ask for a second key.

My wife then signed the papers, we turned over our RAV4 and she drove her new Lexus 450h+:Takumi home.
We foolishly continued to Trust Lexus.

Two days later we are told Lexus has refused that second key.
We also find that the hamstrung U.K. version of the app does not start the car, neither will the so-called emergency mechanical key that was supplied in place of one fob.

My wife now refuses to drive the car without a spare key and I am left either driving her or explaining to friends who will provide her transport. They all now have little opinion of Lexus.

So I am left with few options before we leave for our second home in Spain.
1. Hire a car until Lexus deign to fulfil their contract. (it is almost cheaper to buy one).
2. Buy a new car and dump her Lexus.
. 3. Take the matter to Law under the Equalities act, and indirect discrimination.
4. Pay £591.07 for a second fob (yes I can indirectly buy from Lexus despite the chip shortage.)

I am tending towards number 3.

At least I should get my money back although initially it will be more expensive than 4 for Lawyers.
Also no other elderly disabled person will suffer this, the resultant publicity should ensure that no one will again foolishly trust Lexus.

Do you suggest any other options?
Old 08-23-23, 07:58 PM
Sounds
Advanced

Originally Posted by Billst
My wife who is disabled and is unable to walk without great pain ordered a Lexus last year specifically including two fobs and a card key.
We also could see on this website that the car could be run with a digital access that came with the wireless phone charger that we also ordered.
So we trusted Lexus to provide for our needs and safety. we paid the deposit and waited a year for delivery.

When we collected the car it was confirmed that one fob was to be withheld for an indeterminate time, we also then found that the card key was not going to be supplied. It was not in the glove compartment.
The dealer told us that he would write to Lexus, explain our circumstances, and ask for a second key.

My wife then signed the papers, we turned over our RAV4 and she drove her new Lexus 450h+:Takumi home.
We foolishly continued to Trust Lexus.

Two days later we are told Lexus has refused that second key.
We also find that the hamstrung U.K. version of the app does not start the car, neither will the so-called emergency mechanical key that was supplied in place of one fob.

My wife now refuses to drive the car without a spare key and I am left either driving her or explaining to friends who will provide her transport. They all now have little opinion of Lexus.

So I am left with few options before we leave for our second home in Spain.
1. Hire a car until Lexus deign to fulfil their contract. (it is almost cheaper to buy one).
2. Buy a new car and dump her Lexus.
. 3. Take the matter to Law under the Equalities act, and indirect discrimination.
4. Pay £591.07 for a second fob (yes I can indirectly buy from Lexus despite the chip shortage.)

I am tending towards number 3.

At least I should get my money back although initially it will be more expensive than 4 for Lawyers.
Also no other elderly disabled person will suffer this, the resultant publicity should ensure that no one will again foolishly trust Lexus.

Do you suggest any other options?
Never trust anyone. Everything has to be in writing. Your best and cheapest way out is buy a 2nd fob. They still owe you a key.
Try to enjoy the NX.
Billst (08-24-23)
Old 08-23-23, 08:39 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sounds
Never trust anyone. Everything has to be in writing. Your best and cheapest way out is buy a 2nd fob. They still owe you a key.
Try to enjoy the NX.
Exactly my thinking. I know it sucks and my wife only have one key. personally I wouldn’t go through all these hassle for a few hundred $s, my wife also agreed and she seldom does. I have blew money on other crap that costed me a lot more Enjoy the car my friend, life is too short to fuzz over little things.
Billst (08-24-23)
Old 08-23-23, 08:43 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Originally Posted by GXWes
Every Lexus dealer in the country will sell you a key to your car. Today

You just have to tell them. I won't give you this 70.000 dollar check until I have two keys in my hands.

Trust me. You will get two keys. It may be a credit card key. A different style FOB, or an old school Valet style. But they will give you a second key. Before that money walks out the door
You have a valid point. I didn’t make that decision at that time and I am ok with the decision I made. I understand it sucks base on generally principle. Personally I don’t fuzz over a few hundred $s, life is too damn short. The wife is enjoying the car and if I have to buy a key? So be it.
The following 2 users liked this post by lexsc4:
Billst (08-24-23), Sounds (08-23-23)
Old 08-24-23, 06:36 AM
Dblxx
Pit Crew

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by romer
It's curious that some of us got the Wallet Card key and others didn't. I can't find anyplace (e.g. window sticker, etc.) saying I'd receive the Card key. The digital key (phone app) came as part of "Installed Options"--wireless phone charger ($450.00).
It clearly states on my window sticker:

Lexus Digital Key, SMARTACCESS CARD KEY, and Wireless Charger........ FIO........$450.

So... it better be there when I pick up my car on Saturday
Billst (08-24-23)
Old 08-24-23, 06:37 AM
Dblxx
Pit Crew

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

If you accepted the car with one key (meaning took delivery) and didn't get anything in writing - I'd say you are out of luck. Lexus is not discriminating against you - they don't physically have the key and would guess that they are not intentionally targeting you.

Do I like that my wife only has one key, absolutely not - but she's doing just fine with one and if she looses it - well then, she's out of luck.
Old 08-24-23, 07:00 AM
Billst
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dblxx
If you accepted the car with one key (meaning took delivery) and didn't get anything in writing - I'd say you are out of luck. Lexus is not discriminating against you - they don't physically have the key and would guess that they are not intentionally targeting you.

Do I like that my wife only has one key, absolutely not - but she's doing just fine with one and if she looses it - well then, she's out of luck.
That would be the case with direct discrimination but I am considering the indirect discrimination by generally applying a rule (one key only) when it then applies to a person with a protected characteristic (being disabled).
They do have the key - I can purchase it at some £590.

Before we accepted the car, the dealer did commit to writing to Lexus asking for early release of the second key as necessary under our circumstances.
Lexus U.K. have replied and said that they are unable to supply due to edict from TMC.

They promise to replace the key foc if lost “This is because neither you nor the Lexus Centre are in any way at fault or in control of this specific matter”

Loss of key, of transport, is not just being out of luck, not for all.

I am convinced that we have the support of both the dealer and Lexus U.K. but they are constrained by Japan. They suffer from this constraint almost as much as we do. It loses them respect and customers.

Last edited by Billst; 08-24-23 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Addition of Lexus reply and quote

Quick Reply: One key fob :-( (Merged single key fob issue threads)