NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

One key fob :-( (Merged single key fob issue threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-23, 05:44 AM
Itsmeoscat
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi all, just like to share some updates on the 2nd key fob.

My 350h was delivered with 1 key fob on Nov 6, 2022. The vehicle was built in Oct 2022. Last Friday (15th) I noticed 2 service campaigns on the Lexus app, One is L76 for the LSS+ update, and the other is L78 for the 2nd key fob. And yesterday, I got 2 mails from Lexus for these 2 campaigns. Before this, I have never received any email/notifications/mail from Lexus regarding the 2nd key fob. I have scheduled an appointment with a local Lexus dealer and was told it will take about 7 days to get the key. Looks like Lexus is following their schedule to deliver the 2nd key fobs.

Check your Lexus app or mail box, if your vehicle is on the 2nd key fob delivery schedule list.

Finally, no more yelling in the house: where is the key? put it back on the shelf after driving the car.
The following users liked this post:
Billst (09-19-23)
Old 09-20-23, 04:54 PM
AtomicLexus
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Itsmeoscat
Hi all, just like to share some updates on the 2nd key fob.

My 350h was delivered with 1 key fob on Nov 6, 2022. The vehicle was built in Oct 2022. Last Friday (15th) I noticed 2 service campaigns on the Lexus app, One is L76 for the LSS+ update, and the other is L78 for the 2nd key fob. And yesterday, I got 2 mails from Lexus for these 2 campaigns. Before this, I have never received any email/notifications/mail from Lexus regarding the 2nd key fob. I have scheduled an appointment with a local Lexus dealer and was told it will take about 7 days to get the key. Looks like Lexus is following their schedule to deliver the 2nd key fobs.

Check your Lexus app or mail box, if your vehicle is on the 2nd key fob delivery schedule list.

Finally, no more yelling in the house: where is the key? put it back on the shelf after driving the car.
Wow, almost a year to get a second key! I still have 9 more months of listening to my wife complain. I sure hope I don't lose or misplace our sole precious key. First thing with my previous cars is to make extras, lol. Funny how the Rav4 model (same as NX and others) outsold the previous year in units sold in the US every year for the last 5+ years. That is tens of thousands of unique parts and hundreds of computer chips contained in each car. Yet they STILL claim a key shortage? And they are unwilling to provide any compensation for the inconvenience. Lexus Customer Service is the new oxymoron. Shame on Lexus.

Oh, I can't use the rear cabin light for the switch will not turn off once pressed. Part is backordered till November now.

Last edited by AtomicLexus; 09-20-23 at 04:58 PM.
Billst (09-21-23)
Old 09-20-23, 05:15 PM
Sounds
Advanced

Received 173 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicLexus
Oh, I can't use the rear cabin light for the switch will not turn off once pressed. Part is backordered till November now.
I wrote this on other threads…, front windshield cracked with no commitment for a replacement shipping date. Fun is gone. The love is lost. …. But they understand my frustration
Old 09-20-23, 06:04 PM
Geopoz
Intermediate

Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Sounds
I wrote this on other threads…, front windshield cracked with no commitment for a replacement shipping date. Fun is gone. The love is lost. …. But they understand my frustration
If they are still building that model than there is no reason you should not be able to aquire your windshield.
romer (09-20-23)
Old 09-20-23, 08:33 PM
Sounds
Advanced

Received 173 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Geopoz
If they are still building that model than there is no reason you should not be able to aquire your windshield.
I'm speechless. Shortages> No shortages of shorting the owners.
Billst (09-21-23)
Old 09-21-23, 01:22 PM
SeismicGuy
Pit Crew

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Just today got an email finally from Lexus about the second Smart Key. This was for our NX350H that we bought in July and was led to believe (by the dealer) that we would get the second key in a few weeks. The email today claims chip shortages are still impacting delivery and that we would get the second key "as soon as possible" and would notify us by mail when it becomes available and with info how to get from the dealer. Again, not a big deal for us since we also have the card key if we need it and/or wife and I just keep swapping the Smart Key. Still this chip shortage thing sounds fishy to me.
Billst (09-21-23)
Old 09-21-23, 01:40 PM
CangrejoCT
10th Gear

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Just today got an email finally from Lexus about the second Smart Key. This was for our NX350H that we bought in July and was led to believe (by the dealer) that we would get the second key in a few weeks. The email today claims chip shortages are still impacting delivery and that we would get the second key "as soon as possible" and would notify us by mail when it becomes available and with info how to get from the dealer. Again, not a big deal for us since we also have the card key if we need it and/or wife and I just keep swapping the Smart Key. Still this chip shortage thing sounds fishy to me.
Ditto, got my email yesterday for the NX350h I got in June. Have the card key and digital key so no rush for the 2nd key fob. My sister got her NX350 last month with only one fob, told her to expect a long wait for the other one.
Billst (09-21-23)
Old 09-21-23, 01:49 PM
romer
Intermediate

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

I have one fob, the card key, and the app. I have no angst about a second fob. I’ll get it when they have it for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by romer:
Billst (09-21-23), Dkaplan (09-21-23)
Old 09-21-23, 04:28 PM
Dkaplan
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by romer
I have one fob, the card key, and the app. I have no angst about a second fob. I’ll get it when they have it for me.
And the Lexus app is another option
romer (09-21-23)
Old 09-21-23, 06:06 PM
Billst
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Good to hear the truth from you guys about card key and app both reducing the impact of single key.
It seems that Lexus U.K. (and possibly Europe) do not know what the truth is.

Old 09-21-23, 06:28 PM
Billst
Driver

Is the USA receiving the latest model MY24?
I note Lexus ignore our disabled App that will not allow our cars to be driven, in this email.

Last edited by Billst; 09-21-23 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-21-23, 08:32 PM
43sbest
Pit Crew

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Billst
Good to hear the truth from you guys about card key and app both reducing the impact of single key.
It seems that Lexus U.K. (and possibly Europe) do not know what the truth is.

Note in the reply the Lexus rep. states " whereas the USA produce their own Lexus vehicles for their market". The entire reply is garbage, the Lexus rep. doesn't even know where there cars a built. The only Lexus built in the USA is the ES which is a glorified Toyota Camry, both are built at the same plant in Kentucky. In 2025 ES production will move back to Japan. In 2024 Lexus will come out with the TX which is a glorified Toyota Grand Highlander produced at the Highlander plant in Indiana.
The problem with the supply of key FOBS and now card keys is tech. over kill---------to much tech. required from the fob/key card resulting in more complicated chip/chips. I have a 2022 NX350 Luxury picked up in late August of 22 and there was never a question of only one FOB---------received 2 FOBS and a key card. I'll gladly sell both FOBS and the key card----------------------but you also have to buy the NX!

Billst (09-22-23)
Old 09-22-23, 04:04 AM
Billst
Driver

Default Truth or Lies?

Originally Posted by 43sbest
Note in the reply the Lexus rep. states " whereas the USA produce their own Lexus vehicles for their market". The entire reply is garbage, the Lexus rep. doesn't even know where there cars a built. The only Lexus built in the USA is the ES which is a glorified Toyota Camry, both are built at the same plant in Kentucky. In 2025 ES production will move back to Japan. In 2024 Lexus will come out with the TX which is a glorified Toyota Grand Highlander produced at the Highlander plant in Indiana.
The problem with the supply of key FOBS and now card keys is tech. over kill---------to much tech. required from the fob/key card resulting in more complicated chip/chips. I have a 2022 NX350 Luxury picked up in late August of 22 and there was never a question of only one FOB---------received 2 FOBS and a key card. I'll gladly sell both FOBS and the key card----------------------but you also have to buy the NX!
The problem over keys is one of Respect and Truth.
It seems Lexus have no respect for their customers and it now appears no respect for their own staff.

Too many discrepancies in what they say.

I suspect that the key issue is actually one of security. Perhaps someone thinks they can Lie their way out of a major problem.
Old 09-22-23, 09:43 AM
romer
Intermediate

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

The part that doesn't make sense to me when people say Lexus is doing the FOB thing for all kinds of nefarious reasons is that the only things they derive from such a scenario (too much to intimate conspiracy theory?) are unhappy customers, poor public relations, distrust among owners, etc. Why would they not simply provide the keys if it were so easy for them to do? They get nothing but the downsides from all this. Another explanation might be they are being honest. They have a production problem. A chip problem. Not unique to Lexus/Toyota.
Old 09-22-23, 10:18 AM
Billst
Driver

Originally Posted by romer
The part that doesn't make sense to me when people say Lexus is doing the FOB thing for all kinds of nefarious reasons is that the only things they derive from such a scenario (too much to intimate conspiracy theory?) are unhappy customers, poor public relations, distrust among owners, etc. Why would they not simply provide the keys if it were so easy for them to do? They get nothing but the downsides from all this. Another explanation might be they are being honest. They have a production problem. A chip problem. Not unique to Lexus/Toyota.
They also have a major theft problem.

If 10% of cars are stolen, as in some areas with the RX, then the media will soon trash Lexus reputation.
Customers will soon desert if they are unable to insure their new car.

Removing half or more of the keys means less liable to key cloning.
Lower theft and better insurance rating sells more cars.

Chip supply problems seem to be engineered.
With 3000 chips in a car, why is the particular key chip selected?

Chip fabrication is well understood now. Once they have a successful run, it is very easily repeated.
Yes, they have introduced a new key with some added security but that does not lower the fabrication rate.
The rate is something decided well in advance. It is not happenstance.

Quick Reply: One key fob :-( (Merged single key fob issue threads)