NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Connection and Android Auto Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-22 | 05:51 AM
OldManToad
Rookie

Default Connection and Android Auto Issues

Loving my NX 350h so far but I'm having lots of issues with my phone connections and particularly with Android Auto.

1. Started the ATT Wi-Fi hotspot trial and locked in the $20 rate for unlimited data. Will probably end up canceling this after first month. When I connect my Samsung Galaxy S9 phone to the Lexus NX Wi-Fi, initially everything is good, but after a short time, the connection name changes to Smartphone_connect_302098 and there is no connection to internet. This has completely baffled me.

2. When my phone is connected to internet and I switch to Android Auto, sometimes I can play music from Pandora and listen to it on the car's speakers. However, most of the time it shows my music playing on the NX but the music comes from the phone itself. When this happens, no matter what I try, I can't get the music back on the car's speakers. Also, when I am in AA and I can't play Sirius radio. I get some error saying there is no audio. Is this not possible to play Sirius while using Google Maps on AA?

That's just two of the issues that are really bugging me. I was ***uming that I could setup the car so that the phone would automatically connect to the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth when I got in the car and I could then play music from any Lexus source (Sirius, AM, FM, Linked Amazon Music) or AA source (Pandora) while using either Google Maps or Lexus Cloud Navigation. Is this possible? And if so, how are people configuring their connections.

I'm a retired IT person and have no issues with new technologies. My other car, an Acura works great with Bluetooth but doesn't have AA. Is the new Lexus Infotainment extremely buggy or is it me?

Thanks
Old 11-09-22 | 06:02 AM
redhot47fl
Intermediate

I’m an Apple CarPlay, but I can tell you that the Lexus software allows use of either CarPlay or AT&T hotspot, but not both simultaneously, rendering my AT&T subscription useless and on the brink of being cancelled (though I think that AT&T refuses to provide refunds, meaning that cancellations must be done shortly before the next renewal date).

Can’t provide much help regarding your other AA issues, but the CarPlay/AA/Lexus handshake protocols and results are mind-bending. Sooner or later, you’ll find some workarounds.

Old 11-09-22 | 07:47 AM
OldManToad
Rookie

Thank you redhot. After seeing your post I did more searching for AT&T hotspot and Android Auto and it seems no vehicles can use these together. Based on this information, I went out to my car without my phone to see if the hotspot would work with media streaming (Amazon music). Every few seconds I got pop-ups that my Connection failed or the Hotspot wasn't available (forget the exact wording of these messages). Does this mean if I use the car without my phone I need to unpair it or get these nagging messages?

On the bright side, I went and got my phone to play with settings some more. I disabled the AT&T hotspot in the car and turned off Bluetooth and Wi-Fi on my phone. Both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi automatically turned on when I got in the car. Wifi connected to the car (Smartphone_connect_302098). I turned on Mobile data on the phone and now I could use Android Auto while switching between Pandora, Sirius, and FM radio.

The phone cannot connect to two wifi sources (car and hotspot) simultaneously. So it seems AT&T hotspot is totally worthless except to allow passengers to use their phones.

Thanks again for pushing me in the right direction. I still have some playing to do.
The following users liked this post:
redhot47fl (11-09-22)
Old 11-09-22 | 08:34 AM
nitrolada
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by OldManToad
Thank you redhot. After seeing your post I did more searching for AT&T hotspot and Android Auto and it seems no vehicles can use these together. Based on this information, I went out to my car without my phone to see if the hotspot would work with media streaming (Amazon music). Every few seconds I got pop-ups that my Connection failed or the Hotspot wasn't available (forget the exact wording of these messages). Does this mean if I use the car without my phone I need to unpair it or get these nagging messages?

On the bright side, I went and got my phone to play with settings some more. I disabled the AT&T hotspot in the car and turned off Bluetooth and Wi-Fi on my phone. Both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi automatically turned on when I got in the car. Wifi connected to the car (Smartphone_connect_302098). I turned on Mobile data on the phone and now I could use Android Auto while switching between Pandora, Sirius, and FM radio.

The phone cannot connect to two wifi sources (car and hotspot) simultaneously. So it seems AT&T hotspot is totally worthless except to allow passengers to use their phones.

Thanks again for pushing me in the right direction. I still have some playing to do.
you could use AA via usb if you want to use the wifi hotspot

but you're correct that it's not possible to be connected to a wifi network and use wireless aa/cp at sametime as phone can't connect to two wifi networks simultaneously
Old 12-03-22 | 05:03 PM
FlaShFTW
3rd Gear

Don't have these issues, but my issue right now is just having my music randomly stop sometimes. The phone is still connected to the screen so my map still works, but music audio just stops. Spotify still shows the song as playing, but the circle that shows the progress of the song doesn't move either, it's almost like Spotify freezes. Not sure if anyone else is noticing this. Doesn't happen all the time, but enough times where it's an annoyance and would like to see if there's anything to do about it. Otherwise, I might have to go back to a corded connection, but I like putting my phone on the wireless charging port and I can't do that if the phone is corded.