NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Steering wheel buttons

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-22, 02:04 AM
CRZCTRL
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering wheel buttons

Got a question for the owners of those with the capacitive buttons on the steering wheel. Do you have to lay your finger on the button (so that it can sense it) then press the button in order to register the action or can you just press the button straight away to register the corresponding action? Been watching videos and I see alot of people touching the button first to bring up the menu on their HUD then pressing it for their selected action.
Old 12-11-22, 12:24 PM
mbezzo
Pit Crew

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Yeah - it's a kinda double press scenario. One to bring up the menu, second to make a selection.

I enjoyed this feature in the beginning as I was learning the system, but I don't really enjoy it now that I'm familiar with it lol...
Old 12-11-22, 02:02 PM
CRZCTRL
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mbezzo
Yeah - it's a kinda double press scenario. One to bring up the menu, second to make a selection.

I enjoyed this feature in the beginning as I was learning the system, but I don't really enjoy it now that I'm familiar with it lol...
That kinda sucks…it’s lengthening the process of what really should be something simple. What would happen if you immediately press the button?
The following users liked this post:
Sounds (07-05-24)
Old 12-11-22, 02:42 PM
Kimberly88
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Nothing happens when you immediatly press the button. You need to lay your finger over the buttons for the HUD to register then you can press the buttons. If the buttons were already there, then obviously the process would be quicker. Honestly, it's just a slight delay and not really an inconvenience to me since the purpose is to keep your eyes on the road anyways.
LilyTiger (01-15-23)
Old 12-11-22, 04:34 PM
clmk
Driver

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

They really need to find a way to fix this. It's quite frustrating once you know what the buttons do.
Old 12-11-22, 05:04 PM
CRZCTRL
Driver School Candidate

Yeah…hopefully a software update helps with things. I got used to the touchpad in the LC so this shouldn’t be a problem, then again plenty positives in the LC helped to balance out the negatives. With a daily driven car, you mostly want convenience so hopefully the positives balance that out and a software update comes
Old 12-12-22, 09:24 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 600 Likes on 403 Posts

I'm not sure if the slight delay is going to impact what you are pressing. The button is dual purposed so depending if you are on first screen or the more screen that button could mean different - especially when you customized it yourself. I don't see that it slows me down at all.
Dkaplan (12-13-22)
Old 01-15-23, 03:46 PM
SaraLvsLxs
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lsft
I'm not sure if the slight delay is going to impact what you are pressing. The button is dual purposed so depending if you are on first screen or the more screen that button could mean different - especially when you customized it yourself. I don't see that it slows me down at all.
does it happen when you are not at a complete stop? Meaning stopped but foot not completely engaged on the break? I have gotten a warning when I do that indicating that the battery is not charging because the break pedal is not completely engaged.

I can’t make out what your picture says.
Old 01-15-23, 07:53 PM
LilyTiger
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SaraLvsLxs
does it happen when you are not at a complete stop? Meaning stopped but foot not completely engaged on the break? I have gotten a warning when I do that indicating that the battery is not charging because the break pedal is not completely engaged.

I can’t make out what your picture says.
I think you may be referring to the auto stop start feature, which will automatically stop the engine when the car is stopped at a traffic light, stop sign, etc., and then restart the engine when you take your foot off the brake. This feature won’t work unless you’re firmly pushing down on the brake and also won’t work if your battery is not sufficiently charged.
Old 01-15-23, 07:56 PM
LilyTiger
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

Yep, I noticed the same thing with the buttons when I first got the car. It’s frustrating at first but then I got used to it. Being able to change the second menu functions for the buttons is convenient though.
Old 01-16-23, 06:57 AM
Dkaplan
Intermediate

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Kimberly88
Nothing happens when you immediatly press the button. You need to lay your finger over the buttons for the HUD to register then you can press the buttons. If the buttons were already there, then obviously the process would be quicker. Honestly, it's just a slight delay and not really an inconvenience to me since the purpose is to keep your eyes on the road anyways.
I agree, not a big deal at all!
Old 07-05-24, 01:08 AM
nezumiixus
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

This might not be a serious problem until you want to change the speed while cruising. A workaround involving a double press causes a potentially dangerous one-second delay. Toyota engineers should really provide an update to allow changing these buttons to a one-press method.
Old 07-05-24, 05:05 AM
Sounds
Advanced

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Horrible cruise control set up.