NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

NX 2022 keeps asking for my PIN

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-23, 09:57 AM
djspazz
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jgrnt1
Mine started doing this a couple of weeks ago. It seems to have stopped with the software update. <fingers crossed>
Mine started after I took my NX in for that software recall. I've tried everything and it still popping up intermittently. However, it sometimes doesn't happen at all during a drive, only for it to happen again the next day. I wonder if it had anything to do with the software update?
Old 04-19-23, 08:04 AM
Kenasch
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by djspazz
Mine started after I took my NX in for that software recall. I've tried everything and it still popping up intermittently. However, it sometimes doesn't happen at all during a drive, only for it to happen again the next day. I wonder if it had anything to do with the software update?
Have you tried to delete your profile and start over again. As I wrote earlier in this thread, that is the only thing that finally worked for me and it is still working after the software update. I needed to completely delete my profile on the car and "forget" the car on my iphone bluetooth settings.
Old 04-19-23, 10:22 AM
djspazz
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenasch
Have you tried to delete your profile and start over again. As I wrote earlier in this thread, that is the only thing that finally worked for me and it is still working after the software update. I needed to completely delete my profile on the car and "forget" the car on my iphone bluetooth settings.
Thanks, that is something I still need to do. Will update if it works. I'm assuming it will!
Old 04-25-23, 04:02 PM
Kenasch
Driver

After several weeks of not getting the popup pin request it reappeared today. Ironically, I was on the way to the dealer for my first maintenance visit. The drive was about 20 miles and the popup appeared four times. The technology rep at the dealership had me reset the pin in the Lexus app on my phone. It is under my account and is one of the security settings. While driving home the pin request immediately popped up on the screen. They said this was normal. So I inputted the Pin was again and was able to drive home without it appearing again. Hopefully this solves the problem.
Old 05-02-23, 08:31 AM
Kenasch
Driver

Default continuing PIN pop ups

After several weeks of not getting the popup pin request it reappeared today. Ironically, I was on the way to the dealer for my first maintenance visit. The drive was about 20 miles and the popup appeared four times. The technology rep at the dealership had me reset the pin in the Lexus app on my phone. It is under my account and is one of the security settings. While driving home the pin request immediately popped up on the screen. They said this was normal. So I inputted the Pin again and was able to drive home without it appearing again. Hopefully this solves the problem.
Problem is not solved. I am continuing to get the annoying PIN requests. Even on short local drives, it happens several times. Each time I cancel the request and I am able to reopen Carplay seconds later. I contacted the dealer and they are going to open a "ticket" with Lexus.
Old 05-09-23, 02:28 PM
Gbobst
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default PIN pop, what are they and how to resolve them

PIN pop ups.
So here are reasons why, and how to input the PIN and or change it if you need to.
The PIN is a security measure in the Lexus INTERFACE systems which are Generation 21MM (multi-media) They are created when you first link a vehicle to your profile (which is an account you create by downloading the Lexus app).
They will prompt for you to enter under certain conditions that are all tied to Lexus's servers, which the vehicles are now reliant upon.

To create a PIN or reset it, you will do the following:
Go into the Lexus app, top right corner tap the profile icon, Account>Security settings> Account PIN. Tap Reset/Set PIN to make a new one or create one.
(note, if you forgot the one you did at the dealership, like the most guests, you can use the exact same one, it does not have to be different like when you re-set passwords)

Here are some of the following reasons:

*Inactivity in the vehicle over a period of time. Usually 7-10 days or more. The vehicles will go into a "sleep" mode to conserve the battery. The PIN will prompt.

*Software downloads. In the first generation of NX, (2022's to be exact), the prompt for the software downloads were very quick in the start up of the vehicle, and did not let you know ever again...(because of the software version LOL). In this case, to stop the PIN from popping, you have to go into:
settings>software version>software update and then tap the "model info" to get the update to prompt. Wait for the update to go through with the vehicle on.
Once done, it will prompt for a PIN usually one more time, and then it will not show anymore. These were versions 1005, 1020, and 1025 software.
Once you get to 1040, it will have most of the fixes, and the next software updates prompt will be longer and at each key cycle to let you know you have one.
(2022 Model years are due for a major OTA ( over the air ) update at the end of the summer for profile loading issues, but that is another story all together.)

*Account issues. The best way to get these fixed are to go to Lexus.com and log in at the top. There you can check if your email, and mobile phone number are correct. Legacy guests ( long time Lexus owners with older accounts ) have been experiencing the PIN prompts recently because of account migrations to a newer system. They will have land lines still in the account information, and possibly old or duplicate emails. Once in the account, you can make the necessary changes and your account will jive with your vehicle.
You can also go in the app to make account changes, but the Legacy guest will NOT see the land lines. These will be in the optional phone numbers spot. I would take out all optional phone numbers, as we have been seeing a lot of account issues with them also.
That is the best way to make sure your account is good is by going to the website.

*Changing the profile on the screen. If you have multiple profiles in the vehicle ( you can have only up to 3 ) when you tap on one to change it, the PIN will prompt and the person loading the new profile will have to use the PIN that they created in their app.

*Poor Cellular signal. The vehicles communication runs on mobile towers. At times you may be driving through areas that are low/poor and when the vehicle picks the signal back up, it may prompt for the PIN. Usually this does not happen unless it is for an extended period of time without signal. With short periods, the vehicle will let you know with a message that Network communications are not available at this time, without the PIN interruption, but resume communications eventually.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Gbobst; 05-16-23 at 09:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
harper7 (05-10-23)
Old 05-09-23, 02:38 PM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Received 236 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbobst
PIN pop ups.
So here are reasons why, and how to input the PIN and or change it if you need to........
Nice set of directions However, you can make an in-car profile with the required PIN and never have to involve the Lexus app. That's what I've done in my wife's NX.
Old 05-09-23, 03:39 PM
Gbobst
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Randyp1234
Nice set of directions However, you can make an in-car profile with the required PIN and never have to involve the Lexus app. That's what I've done in my wife's NX.
You can only add profiles via the Lexus app with a registered account. There is no way to do it in the vehicle without a smart device with the Lexus app on it and a registered user. That is the whole security aspect of the profiles.
Old 05-09-23, 04:07 PM
Gbobst
Driver School Candidate

Doing the software update will solve this, it is one of the reasons why the PIN is prompting. Message me if you are still having issues, please refer to my recent post for other reasons why the PIN is popping for you!

Last edited by Gbobst; 05-09-23 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-09-23, 04:11 PM
Gbobst
Driver School Candidate

Problem is not solved. I am continuing to get the annoying PIN requests. Even on short local drives, it happens several times. Each time I cancel the request and I am able to reopen Carplay seconds later. I contacted the dealer and they are going to open a "ticket" with Lexus.
Doing the software update will solve this, it is one of the reasons why the PIN is prompting. Message me if you are still having issues, please refer to my recent post for other reasons why the PIN is popping for you!
Old 05-10-23, 09:19 AM
Kenasch
Driver

Originally Posted by Gbobst
Thanks for posting all of the reasons for the PIN popups. I have the latest software update (1040) and have not had the PIN popup for the last week. When I was getting them, they would appear after I started driving and usually in the same areas so I suspect it was due to a low cell signal. As soon as I hit cancel, I could get back into Carplay. Definitely annoying and a potential safety issue as I tended to the screen while driving. I did try something else that might be helping. In the phone app, under the security settings, I changed the required authentication to immediately. I hope I never see that popup again.
Gbobst (07-21-23)
Old 05-10-23, 04:04 PM
Kenasch
Driver

As usual, I spoke too soon. On my local drive today the PIN request popped up often, about 10 times. Each time I was able to quickly get back into Carplay by cancelling the request and one time actually putting in the PIN number. I have used every suggestion in this thread and what was recommended by the dealer. I have also heard nothing back about the "ticket" that the dealer placed with Lexus. I am very frustrated.

Last edited by Kenasch; 05-10-23 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-14-23, 08:46 PM
Plgomez89
10th Gear

It started popping up on me today. Lots of times. I would hit cancel and it would go back to carplay. I finally remembered the number I had chosen when first setting up the car, I entered it, and it went away. Didn't pop up after but if it comes back I'll let y'all know.
Gbobst (07-21-23)
Old 05-16-23, 09:46 AM
Gbobst
Driver School Candidate

See my post above for details on account issues.
Old 05-16-23, 09:47 AM
Gbobst
Driver School Candidate

As usual, I spoke too soon. On my local drive today the PIN request popped up often, about 10 times. Each time I was able to quickly get back into Carplay by cancelling the request and one time actually putting in the PIN number. I have used every suggestion in this thread and what was recommended by the dealer. I have also heard nothing back about the "ticket" that the dealer placed with Lexus. I am very frustrated.
Sorry for the delay! This has to be an account issue with your scenario. Glad they have a ticket in for you. It usually takes a few days for corporate to check on your account, but if I were you, I would go to lexus.com and make sure you have everything correct in there, and especially take out the optional number. ( see my directions above )
You could possibly have a duplicate account with different email or phone numbers that you are not aware of (possibly owned a toyota and didn't know about an old account). That does indeed require someone to cross check. It's not unusual.

Quick Reply: NX 2022 keeps asking for my PIN