NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Nx350 door handle button frozen

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-23, 04:41 PM
fieldrt
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I am also experiencing the frozen door issue. The temperature was -5 celsius and 3 of the four doors were stuck. It seems if I hold my fingers and squeeze the sensor/handle it will eventually release. Only the front passenger door seems to be working without issue. Mine is a Canadian made NX 350h. I am going to call the local dealer this week.

Toby
Old 01-08-23, 05:57 PM
Sam835
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fieldrt
I am also experiencing the frozen door issue. The temperature was -5 celsius and 3 of the four doors were stuck. It seems if I hold my fingers and squeeze the sensor/handle it will eventually release. Only the front passenger door seems to be working without issue. Mine is a Canadian made NX 350h. I am going to call the local dealer this week.

Toby
Good luck, and remember to take a video before going to the dealer. Last time I didn't and they deny there was any issue with the door
Old 01-08-23, 06:05 PM
LexusTor
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I will be taking my Lexus to dealer tomorrow, Today I used a hairdryer to open the doors. I will update the outcome of my visit.
Old 01-08-23, 06:11 PM
LexusTor
Rookie

Canadian made
Old 01-08-23, 08:23 PM
dc88
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I own the 450h+ made in Japan and park it outside in an uncovered area. Unfortunately, I have encountered the same issues with the driver's door freezing in temperatures around -8°C. While keeping my warm fingers on the sensor eventually allows the door to release, I usually just use the passenger side door instead. Fortunately, the passenger side door has not frozen yet.

I have also been experiencing issues with the fuel filler door becoming frozen and now the fuel door is not springing open on a regular basis. This now requires a two-person operation, with one person holding the button while the other manually opens the fuel door.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the fuel door issues? Will these issues be covered under the Lexus warranty?
Old 01-08-23, 08:33 PM
Sam835
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexusTor
I will be taking my Lexus to dealer tomorrow, Today I used a hairdryer to open the doors. I will update the outcome of my visit.
Good luck. Hoping to hear some good news!
Old 01-08-23, 08:36 PM
Sam835
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dc88
I own the 450h+ made in Japan and park it outside in an uncovered area. Unfortunately, I have encountered the same issues with the driver's door freezing in temperatures around -8°C. While keeping my warm fingers on the sensor eventually allows the door to release, I usually just use the passenger side door instead. Fortunately, the passenger side door has not frozen yet.

I have also been experiencing issues with the fuel filler door becoming frozen and now the fuel door is not springing open on a regular basis. This now requires a two-person operation, with one person holding the button while the other manually opens the fuel door.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the fuel door issues? Will these issues be covered under the Lexus warranty?
Damn Japan made has these issues too? mine doesn't have the frozen fuel door, I guess this should be covered by the warranty, but just make sure you have video proof with you, last time I went to the dealer it was too warm and they seem like didn't even bother to check it
Old 01-08-23, 08:49 PM
Sam835
Driver School Candidate

A second thought.. this could be really serious imagine in a car crash and your doors are frozen.. Lexus shouldn't make this kind of mistake
Old 01-09-23, 02:52 AM
SenorValas
Driver

Received 59 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by lsft
Are you all having issues all have NXs made in Canada? I'm not saying Canada made NXs are bad, buy trying to isolate if it's a supplier issue with the Canadian made or Japan made NXs have the same issue.

Mine is Japan made and I haven't seen this issue as if yet.
There have been reports of this issue on the UK Lexus Owners Club forum too. All UK NXs are built in Japan so it looks like a design issue rather than specific to a particular factory or supplier.

I have not personally experienced this problem with my NX350h but the car is garaged overnight so isn't normally subjected to freezing conditions.

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/fo...button-frozen/

Last edited by SenorValas; 01-09-23 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-09-23, 03:01 AM
SenorValas
Driver

Received 59 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by dc88

This issue has also been reported on the UK Lexus Owners Club forum - https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/fo...p-not-opening/

I believe that Lexus are aware of this problem and are investigating the best possible solution and may issue a recall for it.

By the way - if this happens again and you are on your own, there is a way of manually releasing the flap from within the trunk area, as follows:-

Open the trunk - on the same side as the flap you will see a square cut-out in the trunk lining (just above the small netted pocket). Carefully remove this cut-out (using a blunt instrument or a trim removal tool). Put your right hand in the hole and feel for a small lever. Gently pull the lever towards you and prise open the flap with the fingers of your left hand at the same time.

Last edited by SenorValas; 01-09-23 at 03:14 AM.
Old 01-09-23, 06:26 AM
LexusTor
Rookie

Appointment today with Lexus dealership, not where I purchased though, one closer to home, yes this is a warranty issue. Took video this morning because it is suppose to warm up and probable wont be frozen at dealership, 2 out of 4 doors still frozen handles.
Old 01-09-23, 07:13 AM
fieldrt
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Today was more mild here in Nova Scotia (-1 this morning but warming now in the sun) and the doors were a little slow to react (5-8 seconds to open) but they did open. I just booked an appointment with the dealer but I am not going to hold my breath that they will find anything. I more just want it recorded somewhere that I am having the issues to Lexus becomes aware and there is a record somewhere. So far in Nova Scotia we have had a very mild winter and last weekend was the first real cold temperatures for us (lows of -6).

Toby
Old 01-09-23, 09:34 AM
Sam835
Driver School Candidate

Appointment today with Lexus dealership, not where I purchased though, one closer to home, yes this is a warranty issue. Took video this morning because it is suppose to warm up and probable wont be frozen at dealership, 2 out of 4 doors still frozen handles.
Did they mention the cause?
Old 01-09-23, 06:50 PM
LexusTor
Rookie

Took my NX today to the dealership and of course it was warm enough at 11:30 that all doors were normal. I did take a video of the issue which was beneficial. We left the car with the dealer and I strongly encouraged them to wash the car and park outside and we are getting freezing rain as I type, and hopefully the problem will show up in the morning.The service advisor stated the 2023 model year has a new door handle design and all 4 may need to be replaced. Lexus Canada will also be consulted.
I will update further when I receive updates.
I encourage everyone experiencing this issue to go to a Lexus dealership and report this issue.
Old 01-09-23, 07:32 PM
Sam835
Driver School Candidate

Took my NX today to the dealership and of course it was warm enough at 11:30 that all doors were normal. I did take a video of the issue which was beneficial. We left the car with the dealer and I strongly encouraged them to wash the car and park outside and we are getting freezing rain as I type, and hopefully the problem will show up in the morning.The service advisor stated the 2023 model year has a new door handle design and all 4 may need to be replaced. Lexus Canada will also be consulted.
I will update further when I receive updates.
I encourage everyone experiencing this issue to go to a Lexus dealership and report this issue.
I think at this point the door handle issue is likely to be a design problem and most of the dealers don't know how to fix it or they are waiting for Lexus to make a recall? I have a feeling eventually all the doors are gonna freeze on mine one day.

Quick Reply: Nx350 door handle button frozen