NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Nx350 door handle button frozen

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-23, 01:11 PM
LexusTor
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow ok, this is where my car currently is sitting, who was your service agent.
Old 01-10-23, 01:12 PM
LexusTor
Rookie

Was the problem actually corrected or just reported?
Old 01-10-23, 01:14 PM
Sam835
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusTor
Wow ok, this is where my car currently is sitting, who was your service agent.
lol my agent is called Ming Man, he's awesome.. it's just reported, I don't think they are capable of fixing it at this time, they are waiting for Lexus to come up a solution
Old 01-10-23, 01:40 PM
LexusTor
Rookie

Thanks, got a call into the service rep and will talk to him. Pretty sure the calls are going into Lexus Canada now about this design flaw
Old 01-10-23, 02:46 PM
genadi
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Was at the dealership today. They do not have a solution at this point but, admitted the problem exists and they have had a lot of open cases since new years only at their dealership.
Will wait for a solution. Hope we’ll have the fix before summer
The following users liked this post:
Sam835 (01-10-23)
Old 01-10-23, 07:45 PM
LexusTor
Rookie

Yes, dealership told me the same, the problem has been documented and Lexus will need to figure out a fix and will either issue a recall notice or service bulletin. So no washing the car until spring. LOL
Old 01-11-23, 08:30 AM
Lead Lap

Received 787 Likes on 534 Posts

Looks like the NX was insufficiency Road tested. Lexus used to drive their cars 1 million miles in all sorts of conditions before release. I guess not so with the NX.
Old 01-11-23, 12:09 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

Simple fix, go back to regular door handles and locks that have worked fine for many many years. I still think this was a design change just for the sake of change. It adds confusion for the customer and now not friendly in winter climates.
The following 2 users liked this post by Xanadu350:
bt10 (01-30-23), Randyp1234 (01-11-23)
Old 01-11-23, 02:13 PM
genadi
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
Simple fix, go back to regular door handles and locks that have worked fine for many many years. I still think this was a design change just for the sake of change. It adds confusion for the customer and now not friendly in winter climates.
The old design had a little tiny flaw. It was quickly discovered by car thieves if you pull a door handle, drill a small hole in one particular spot then, insert a long screwdriver or something alike, you could easily unlock the car. That’s how numerous Lexus RXs, Toyota Highlanders were stolen.
Old 01-11-23, 02:28 PM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Received 238 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
THIS!!! 1000%

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. I think the reason for the whole electronic door latch thing is just so they could implement that nanny system that won't let you open your door until the car deems it safe.
Old 01-11-23, 02:31 PM
mbezzo
Pit Crew

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

It is, and it's a GREAT feature. I know SEVERAL people who've been car-doored while riding a bike. This features solves for that, and I'm here for it. Should the handles work when frozen? YES. And Lexus/Toyota had better figure it out and fix it for us.

unrelated - took NX to dealer for 10k checkup, fuel door part is on backorder...
Old 01-11-23, 05:41 PM
dc88
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dc88
I am scheduled to have a service appointment at Lexus Downtown on Wednesday to address my concerns about my frozen door handles and my faulty fuel door. Unfortunately, based on the comments I have read here, I am not expecting a positive resolution to these issues. Will follow up.
I had my NX looked at this morning, due to the cold weather the night before, I knew the driver-side handle would be frozen. I park outside fully exposed to the weather. Went out early morning, and sure enough, the driver-side handle was frozen, and could not open the door, the other 3 doors were fine. I drove to the 9 am service appointment without turning on the heat in the car in order to preserve the frozen handle. Upon arriving at the Lexus service center, the technicians were quite surprised at the frozen handle and they commented that they had never encountered this issue before. The technician wrote it up and said they would share it with Lexus Canada.
As for the fuel door, he confirmed it’s not opening. Not sure if this fuel door issue is winter related but it started happening to me during the colder temperatures.
As for next steps, they will replace the (single) faulty handle assembly and replace the faulty fuel door assembly. Besides reporting this and replacing parts it’s all they can do for now, though I’m not 100% convinced this will be the end of my frozen handle issues, we’ll see. It’s about a one-month back order on these parts. Here’s the service paperwork

Last edited by dc88; 01-12-23 at 06:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
lsft (01-11-23)
Old 01-11-23, 05:52 PM
NXinMTL
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wd40?

Originally Posted by dc88
I had my NX looked at this morning, due to the cold weather the night before, I knew the driver-side handle would be frozen. I park outside fully exposed to the weather. Went out early morning, and sure enough, the driver-side handle was frozen, and could not open the door, the other 3 doors were fine. I drove to the 9 am service appointment without turning on the heat in the car in order to preserve the frozen handle. Upon arriving at the Lexus service center, the technicians were quite surprised at the frozen handle and they commented that they had never encountered this issue before. The technician wrote it up and said they would share it with Lexus Canada.
As for the fuel door, he confirmed it’s not opening. Not sure if this fuel door issue is winter related but it started happing to me during the colder temperatures.
As for next steps, they will replace the (single) faulty handle assembly and replace the faulty fuel door assembly. Beside reporting it’s all they can do, though I’m not 100% convinced this will be the end of my frozen handle issues, we’ll see. It’s about a one-month back order on these parts. Here’s the service paperwork

Should we put WD40 into the handle to prevent freezing (just like for Tesla 3)?
Old 01-12-23, 02:46 AM
Lead Lap

Received 787 Likes on 534 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyp1234
THIS!!! 1000%

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. I think the reason for the whole electronic door latch thing is just so they could implement that nanny system that won't let you open your door until the car deems it safe.
It’s just a fad, I bet the next Gen of the NX wouldn’t have it. Lexus will feel the pain of replacing lock actuators.

Last edited by 703; 01-12-23 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-12-23, 04:45 AM
LexusTor
Rookie

Had my NX at dealership in Ajax for 3 days, and yesterday they experienced the frozen handle syndrome. 3 NX owners so far this week to this dealership with this issue. Lexus/Toyota Canada now fully aware and hopefully hard at work for a fix. I wouldn’t use any lubricants as you will be touching and transferring to your clothing. I thought of using those pocket warmers as a heat source, last for hours just leave in your pocket.
You can buy a box at Costco.

On a side question, has anyone received their 2nd key Fob yet and how long did you wait??

Quick Reply: Nx350 door handle button frozen