NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Nx350 door handle button frozen

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-23, 06:41 PM
Kurapat
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Also experiencing frozen button on driver door, as well as frozen fuel tank door. Not the first time that weather has dipped below 0 C in Ontario, Canada, but my car had been washed twice in the last two weeks at the dealership following service appointments.

I park my car indoors, but froze while grocery shopping/at the gas station. was able to open the door after holding it for 4-5 seconds.

Can hear some moisture “squish” noises when depressing driver latch button in my garage. I also found some ice buildup in the fuel door hinge that might have glued it shut.

Additionally— the auto tilting passenger side mirror had some frozen ice under the mirror and between the casing causing it to get stuck. Didn’t notice it was in the angled down position until after I started driving. Had to manually adjust it in a semi circular motion while driving to fix this. Melted the ice and dried it off at home.
Old 01-18-23, 05:25 AM
fieldrt
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

A small update. I have my 2022 NX 350h at the dealership in Nova Scotia. When I walked in I told them that the issue is not present today since the temperature was around 3 degrees this morning. The service manager said not to worry that since I had booked the appointment 2 weeks ago, they had 5 NX's come in with the same issue. He said Lexus wanted some details about the incident (date/time weather at the time, other details some related some not). He indicated that Lexus has a cold weather team looking at the issue but that they were not aware of what the final fix will be. The service manager also indicated that all 5 (and now mine) were all late 2022 production models from the Cambridge plant (not sure this means anything but thought I would share).

Hoping Lexus figures out a solution to this soon. The service manager did show me the process to unlock the door via the manual process and the physical key.

Toby
Old 01-18-23, 06:35 AM
Sam835
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fieldrt
A small update. I have my 2022 NX 350h at the dealership in Nova Scotia. When I walked in I told them that the issue is not present today since the temperature was around 3 degrees this morning. The service manager said not to worry that since I had booked the appointment 2 weeks ago, they had 5 NX's come in with the same issue. He said Lexus wanted some details about the incident (date/time weather at the time, other details some related some not). He indicated that Lexus has a cold weather team looking at the issue but that they were not aware of what the final fix will be. The service manager also indicated that all 5 (and now mine) were all late 2022 production models from the Cambridge plant (not sure this means anything but thought I would share).

Hoping Lexus figures out a solution to this soon. The service manager did show me the process to unlock the door via the manual process and the physical key.

Toby
some reported Japan-made Nx (European owners) also have this issue, but I guess the chance is smaller
Old 01-18-23, 07:43 AM
genadi
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam835
some reported Japan-made Nx (European owners) also have this issue, but I guess the chance is smaller
Yes, Japan made are also affected. If you take a look at the thread, all PHEV’s 450h+ are made in Japan and, some of them have the same issue, mine too.
Old 01-18-23, 03:48 PM
babilonian
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem. Came here when this thread was just opened and I read that you had this problem. Knew that its going to be an issue. Only the doors used often for me got the problem. Driver's door and rear one where my son uses. The other 2 doors work fine no matter the weather is cold and I get a car wash. I was lucky close by the dealership when this issue was happening during a day where I made multiple stops and my son had to keep opening the door for me! Drove right into the service area and called the service guy and asked him to open the doors. He couldn't. called his boss and they both couldn't open either one. Then of course it only took few minutes and they were working again because it was indoor.
The said that they'll open a service call for it. But when I went for my 1500km service, they said that lexus is aware of the problem and that once they figure out what to do, they'll reach out. There is definitely water getting inside and freezing. Mostly a seal problem.
Old 01-18-23, 04:02 PM
LexusTor
Rookie

I wonder how long this fix will take. We have 2 cars so not a huge issue, just can’t use our 2 month old car when it is below 0 degrees. What about those who have no other vehicle to use??. Obviously not a problem for those who own a 2023 Lexus in Florida.
Had a thought so I wrapped each handle with Saran Wrap and secured with scotch tape, lets see what happens over the weekend as temp falls again.
Old 01-19-23, 06:46 AM
Driver School Candidate

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

This must be limited to just some cars, as I've driven mine through a full Alaskan winter now with no problems at all with the door handles. Everything from freezing rain to -29 temps. Now the gas filler cover, yes. Every car I've owned with a locking cover has given me problems at times during the winter. Pro-tip: Take a credit card or drivers license and quickly run it around the edge. Won't damage the car, it breaks the ice and the door pops open.
The following 2 users liked this post by 907:
lsft (01-19-23), nx450plus (01-19-23)
Old 01-19-23, 07:26 AM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by 907
This must be limited to just some cars, as I've driven mine through a full Alaskan winter now with no problems at all with the door handles. Everything from freezing rain to -29 temps. Now the gas filler cover, yes. Every car I've owned with a locking cover has given me problems at times during the winter. Pro-tip: Take a credit card or drivers license and quickly run it around the edge. Won't damage the car, it breaks the ice and the door pops open.
I wonder if the rubber part of the switch cover has a little vent hole and some got installed upside down causing water to leak in?
Old 01-20-23, 01:14 PM
AzX
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2023 nx350h

I have a 2 month old 2023 NX350H. Same problem, with mine all 4 doors are impacted. Dealer (DV Lexus) has contacted Lexus and opened a case and confirmed Lexus knows about it and is working on issue.

This is a big pain. One key given (no idea when second key being given), doors don’t open when cold out. Class action law suit needed.

I’ve been leaving the cap of the door handle off so I can manually open door with key. It’s difficult to that also in the cold. I’ve also noticed the gas cap hasn’t been opening every so often when cold out. Really disappointed.

Forgot to mention that Lexus said if you leave your auto start on for 5 min it will help with opening the door. Haven’t tried it so can’t say if true.
Old 01-20-23, 06:04 PM
Sam835
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AzX
I have a 2 month old 2023 NX350H. Same problem, with mine all 4 doors are impacted. Dealer (DV Lexus) has contacted Lexus and opened a case and confirmed Lexus knows about it and is working on issue.

This is a big pain. One key given (no idea when second key being given), doors don’t open when cold out. Class action law suit needed.

I’ve been leaving the cap of the door handle off so I can manually open door with key. It’s difficult to that also in the cold. I’ve also noticed the gas cap hasn’t been opening every so often when cold out. Really disappointed.

Forgot to mention that Lexus said if you leave your auto start on for 5 min it will help with opening the door. Haven’t tried it so can’t say if true.
As for now, all we can do is to park in a garage and try not to wash the car that often. been doing this for 2 weeks now, and my doors seem fine as I was having dinner outside and the current temperature is -3. It was supposed to freeze before in weather like this... so I guess keep out of water as much as you can Lol
Old 01-20-23, 06:06 PM
AzX
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam835
As for now, all we can do is to park in a garage and try not to wash the car that often. been doing this for 2 weeks now, and my doors seem fine as I was having dinner outside and the current temperature is -3. It was supposed to freeze before in weather like this... so I guess keep out of water as much as you can Lol
Unfortunately I don’t have the option to park in the garage, but agree that would be ideal. I think it’s one of the reasons there aren’t more complaints about this issue. A lot of drivers are likely parking indoors.
Old 01-29-23, 11:05 PM
lightzen
10th Gear

2022 NX450h+ here. The issue happened to me today.

I don't think this will happen right away for newer vehicles. Here in Vancouver, we had -15 degrees Celsius weather during Christmas, I had absolutely no issues during that time. However, today was the first time the issue happened to me (outside temperature was only 0 degrees Celsius). I noticed that when you try to click the door handle, it seems like there's definitely frozen water inside. I'm not sure how bad this is, but my temporary fix was to just press harder on the door handle (with both hands) and it seemed to open. Definitely going to get this checked.
Old 01-30-23, 04:31 AM
bt10
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

We've had this same issue on the drivers door for a week or so now. Yeah, I guess holding your hand on it awhile does melt it, but just wish it had regular mechanical door handles. Scheduled to go in Wednesday, was worried about no symptoms when in the nice warm shop, but this thread is a big help to back this up.

Some asked how long for the second fob, I asked the next day, thinking I might have lost it, but didn't remember getting it. Got it in about 3 days. '23 received approx 12/20/22 from Japan.
Old 01-31-23, 02:53 PM
LexusTor
Rookie

Maybe Mr. Pat Foran from CTV news Toronto could do a consumer piece about this flaw, highlighting the potential safety factor here.
I’m sure Lexus would not like the publicity. Waiting for a warm up to drive my new Lexus
Old 01-31-23, 04:40 PM
Sam835
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexusTor
Maybe Mr. Pat Foran from CTV news Toronto could do a consumer piece about this flaw, highlighting the potential safety factor here.
I’m sure Lexus would not like the publicity. Waiting for a warm up to drive my new Lexus
Reminds me of this, https://globalnews.ca/video/9407387/...-asks-for-help

Quick Reply: Nx350 door handle button frozen