NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Nx350 door handle button frozen

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-23, 09:00 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 550 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
Did Lexus get that many complaints that bike riders were crashing into their front doors when opening? To be honest I never hear of that happening
I found this article snippet which seems to generally sum up what info is available (not a whole lot given what seems to be insufficient category reporting):Statistics on the topic are rather scarce, as the police in most countries usually classify this kind of accident simply as a non-specified collision of a cyclist and a car. In some places, however, dooring’s been brought into focus, and it’s turned out that it can’t be shrugged off. In 2011, for example, Chicago registered 344 injuries of cyclists who crashed into a sudden obstacle created by an unexpected opening of a car door. Dooring thus made for 19.7%, or almost a fifth of all cycling injuries.

In 2003, dooring was the cause of 11.9% of all cycling injuries registered in Toronto, while 8% of all serious injuries of London cyclists were the result of a collision with a car door. Dooring claimed the same percentage of victims also in Victoria, Australia, between 2006 and 2010. According to experts, dooring injuries rank among the less dangerous ones compared to other kinds of accidents, but they shouldn’t be ignored. Dooring can kill too. In New York City, dooring accounted for the deaths of 7 (i.e. 3%) out of the 225 cyclists killed in total from 1996 to 2005. In London, dooring claimed the lives of 3 people between 2010 and 2012.
I still don’t get why Lexus felt the need to totally abandon the traditional door handles.
Preventing dooring is all about the inside door release, not the outside, so initially I could agree they should have just continued to use the touch sensor of the old handles Toyota and Lexus have used with the smart keys for many years, I think perhaps the issue is on those handles the touch sensors only unlock the door (does not release the latch, you need to mechanically pull them), Since they are subject to accidental triggering (as anyone who has ever washed their car with the keys in their pocket knows), I guess Lexus figures this new system requires a specific button push to unlock AND release the latch so your door doesn't open by itself (too often, anyway).
Old 12-21-23, 06:43 PM
Droynick
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusTor
Only in the cold, it sucks
I have the same issue on my 2023 Rx 350h. The dealer’s “solution” is to rub my fingers back and forth on the driver side rubber switch cover to try to warm whatever is not working. It took 50 seconds to get it to work and only with force.
The following users liked this post:
Nachum (01-17-24)
Old 12-22-23, 06:00 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Droynick
I have the same issue on my 2023 Rx 350h. The dealer’s “solution” is to rub my fingers back and forth on the driver side rubber switch cover to try to warm whatever is not working. It took 50 seconds to get it to work and only with force.
This is hilarious, so the owner has to remove there glove, freeze there hand rubbing it back and forth in the freezing temps to warm the rubber pad? What about folks in Canada that have below zero temps for days and days on hand. I’m sure they’re going to love this idea.

Seriously, this is not a fix and is asking a lot for owners to do this. Thank goodness I don’t live in the cold climate.

I’m sure Lexus is working on a permanent solution but it just makes me think why didn’t they just use standard pull door handles on the outside like previous model and then incorporate the digital latch on the inside.
Old 12-22-23, 06:55 AM
Droynick
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

This is hilarious, so the owner has to remove there glove, freeze there hand rubbing it back and forth in the freezing temps to warm the rubber pad? What about folks in Canada that have below zero temps for days and days on hand. I’m sure they’re going to love this idea.

Seriously, this is not a fix and is asking a lot for owners to do this. Thank goodness I don’t live in the cold climate.

I’m sure Lexus is working on a permanent solution but it just makes me think why didn’t they just use standard pull door handles on the outside like previous model and then incorporate the digital latch on the inside.
I just called Lexus at 1-800-265-3987 to register this problem. The woman who answered said that Lexus had responded by email to my initial written complaint by asking me for new Information on total mileage and when the problem first occurred. I have not received this email from Lexus. She took the required information from me to add to the case number that she created. She could not say if this frozen driver side door handle was a common problem. Her suggestion was to go back to the dealer and to speak to the Service Manager and to ask that person for a diagnostic appointment. She said that the dealership, in my case Belair Lexus in Ottawa, did not have access to the Case Number that she created so I would have to repeat all the information that I gave her. She would or could not confirm who would be responsible for the cost of the diagnostic appointment, me or the dealership.
Old 12-22-23, 07:41 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 770 Likes on 479 Posts
Arrow

Totally agree with you. Seems like manufactures continue to add complexity to an already working solution but think adding more is better... Seriously never had an issue with door handle on any vehicle I've owned but adding an electronic switch now makes it "high tech"... just seems silly to me.
It would be nice if manufactures would solve the issue of people driving without their headlights on, and or indicating to the driver that lights are not on. But either the gauge cluster is always bright now, or the DRL are so bright people assume the headlights are on... I'd much rather see that implemented somewhere than electronic door handles. I don't think I've ever said "I wonder how I could open my door in a cooler way". Manual door handles have worked now for me and I've been driving for 26 years.

-Nigel
The following 2 users liked this post by nigel821:
weaver483 (01-02-24), Xanadu350 (12-22-23)
Old 12-22-23, 12:57 PM
fieldrt
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello

A small update for those that have experienced the frozen door lock issue; I just picked my 2022 NX350h from the dealer today from its 24K service and the service manager mentioned that new door handles are now available to address the problem. He told me I am number 5 on his list of customers with the issue. He told me that the dealership had fixed their first NX about 10 days ago and that he was hopeful that the new handles have addressed the problem. We just had a rain/ice storm about 2 days ago and the customer that got the new handles had no issues. I, on the other hand, had 3 of my door handles completely frozen.

I would recommend any one that has had the issue of frozen door handles to reach out to their local Lexus dealership.

For reference I am in Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada.

I will post an update once the door handles are replaced.

Cheers

Toby Field
The following 4 users liked this post by fieldrt:
dc88 (01-02-24), Droynick (12-22-23), lsft (12-22-23), Xanadu350 (12-22-23)
Old 12-22-23, 01:08 PM
lsft
Racer

Received 589 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by fieldrt
Hello

A small update for those that have experienced the frozen door lock issue; I just picked my 2022 NX350h from the dealer today from its 24K service and the service manager mentioned that new door handles are now available to address the problem. He told me I am number 5 on his list of customers with the issue. He told me that the dealership had fixed their first NX about 10 days ago and that he was hopeful that the new handles have addressed the problem. We just had a rain/ice storm about 2 days ago and the customer that got the new handles had no issues. I, on the other hand, had 3 of my door handles completely frozen.

I would recommend any one that has had the issue of frozen door handles to reach out to their local Lexus dealership.

Cheers

Toby Field
Good to hear about this news. Keep this group updated when you get yours done.
Old 12-22-23, 03:00 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Hello

Cheers

Toby Field
What did the dealership mean new door handles? Just the rubber part or an entirely new door handle itself?
Old 12-22-23, 04:22 PM
GFC
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hello

Cheers

Toby Field
Wow, I just had this issue from yesterday. Almost 4 doors were not working properly, especially two rear doors.
But last year I did not have this issue at all. And hopefully, solve this issue after replacing its door parts.
Also please share your replacement parts and working well or anything.

You're really helpful and thanks,
Old 12-22-23, 06:13 PM
fieldrt
Rookie

What did the dealership mean new door handles? Just the rubber part or an entirely new door handle itself?
I believe it is the entire handle assemble. The service manager said they had to order the correct colour for my car. He said it would take approx 30-45 min per door. I will post more information once I get my call to go in for the work. I will also see if I can get the part number.

Cheers

Toby
Old 12-23-23, 06:22 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

I believe it is the entire handle assemble. The service manager said they had to order the correct colour for my car. He said it would take approx 30-45 min per door. I will post more information once I get my call to go in for the work. I will also see if I can get the part number.

Cheers

Toby
Maybe this is the fix.
However, how would you know if they’re not just installing the same part? Will you be able to tell the old part# from the new one they will be installing? Sometimes without an official TSB bulletin from Lexus they may just be replacing it with the same part.
Old 12-23-23, 09:27 AM
fieldrt
Rookie

I am optimistic that this is a different part than the original door handle. I have been talking with the service manager for the past year about this and swapping the door handles for the same part was not a solution they wanted to do. He told me early in the spring that Lexus was working on a fix. I have no reason not to believe them.

I will ask when the work is done if he can get me the original part number and the new part number.

Happy Holidays

Toby
The following 3 users liked this post by fieldrt:
dc88 (01-02-24), Droynick (12-23-23), Xanadu350 (12-23-23)
Old 12-24-23, 06:05 AM
DC05
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem. In order to enter the car I use the passenger door and open the driver's door from the inside. Went to the dealer and they seem to think that condensation if forming inside the door handle and freezes when it is below 0 Celsius. That's why you can't open the door. I also contacted Lexus and after provided the VIN I was told that there were no recall on my NX and to go to the dealer. Went back to the dealer and they told me that they have advised Lexus of the situation (many Lexus owners have this problem, one of them all 4 door would not open below freezing) and are waiting on Lexus to take action. You could always use the physical key that comes with the key fob. The only problem with that is that key is made for emergency use, it's so cheaply made along with the little cheap key hole cover that both would break in no time. It would seem that this problem has been around since the 2022 NX model... I guess Lexus are not in a hurry to deal with this situation, I also had other problems with the 2023 NX 350h. So much for reliability and Peace of Mind.

Last edited by DC05; 12-24-23 at 06:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Droynick (12-24-23)
Old 12-24-23, 06:47 AM
DC05
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also called Lexus and the woman who answered the call just told me that there were no recalls on my vehicle and got to the dealer to get them to diagnose the problem. She was very rude and kept interrupting me. I go to the same dealer Belair Lexus in Ottawa. Funny enough the Service Rep was on the telephone when I arrived and they were discussing the exact same problem. I now keep track of the date and temperature and which door I cannot opened. It is very frustrating that a company like Lexus who are renowned for their reliability can't even seem to fix a problem like many of us are experiencing. This has been going on since the NX 2022 model, 2 years now.
Old 12-24-23, 07:27 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Originally Posted by DC05
I have the same problem. In order to enter the car I use the passenger door and open the driver's door from the inside. Went to the dealer and they seem to think that condensation if forming inside the door handle and freezes when it is below 0 Celsius. That's why you can't open the door. I also contacted Lexus and after provided the VIN I was told that there were no recall on my NX and to go to the dealer. Went back to the dealer and they told me that they have advised Lexus of the situation (many Lexus owners have this problem, one of them all 4 door would not open below freezing) and are waiting on Lexus to take action. You could always use the physical key that comes with the key fob. The only problem with that is that key is made for emergency use, it's so cheaply made along with the little cheap key hole cover that both would break in no time. It would seem that this problem has been around since the 2022 NX model... I guess Lexus are not in a hurry to deal with this situation, I also had other problems with the 2023 NX 350h. So much for reliability and Peace of Mind.
This makes sense that water or condensation is dripping or forming on the door handle and then runs down around the button. It must be getting under or sitting around the rubber button and then temps drop and freezes it.

One would think Lexus would have tested this in the cold climates of Canada before they implemented this new door latch feature.

Quick Reply: Nx350 door handle button frozen