NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Nx350 door handle button frozen

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-23, 07:33 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 589 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
This makes sense that water or condensation is dripping or forming on the door handle and then runs down around the button. It must be getting under or sitting around the rubber button and then temps drop and freezes it.

One would think Lexus would have tested this in the cold climates of Canada before they implemented this new door latch feature.
They may have tested it and it's working fine. All 4 door handle on mine survived last winter and I haven't seen any problems with mine. I think there is a manufacturing problem or certain usage causes the rubber to crack allowing condensation/water to enter the handle.

Old 12-24-23, 07:46 AM
Droynick
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DC05
I also called Lexus and the woman who answered the call just told me that there were no recalls on my vehicle and got to the dealer to get them to diagnose the problem. She was very rude and kept interrupting me. I go to the same dealer Belair Lexus in Ottawa. Funny enough the Service Rep was on the telephone when I arrived and they were discussing the exact same problem. I now keep track of the date and temperature and which door I cannot opened. It is very frustrating that a company like Lexus who are renowned for their reliability can't even seem to fix a problem like many of us are experiencing. This has been going on since the NX 2022 model, 2 years now.
It is great to hear that Belair is in touch with Lexus as I was not sure whether the service representative was being accurate or not when I was told that they were awaiting a fix from Lexus. We bought a Lexus, instead of another Genesis, in large part due to its reliability reputation. I know that, in the big scheme of things, it is not a big deal to have the door handle freeze up but it is sure annoying to have many interactions with the vehicle to start with frustration. I am sorry that you had a poor experience with Lexus when you called. During our conversation, the woman who took my call was quite civil and to the point. Her suggestion to return to the dealership for a diagnostic inspection may not have been terribly helpful, as the problem does not exist when the door is warm, but at least she tried.

Last edited by Droynick; 12-24-23 at 08:03 AM. Reason: To add information.
Old 01-02-24, 06:56 AM
LexusTor
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Happy New Year all. I bought my NX350h in November 2022, model year of 2023. So we had the frozen door issue winter of 2022/2023. Visited the dealership and I wasn’t the only owner there complaining. No fix at this time. Made it through the winter until this past weekend.
Temps have been above 0 in most of Ontario until this past weekend. Saturday could not get into the car, after letting the car warm up rear doors worked but the drivers still would not work. Today I find out there is a fix, I wonder how long this has been available but no recall, I guess there is no safety issue here. The fix is on back order. This should be a safety recall issue!!!!.
So reach out to your dealerships.
At this point not sure if another Lexus is in my future.
The following 2 users liked this post by LexusTor:
lsft (01-03-24), weaver483 (01-02-24)
Old 01-02-24, 08:08 AM
Droynick
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusTor
Happy New Year all. I bought my NX350h in November 2022, model year of 2023. So we had the frozen door issue winter of 2022/2023. Visited the dealership and I wasn’t the only owner there complaining. No fix at this time. Made it through the winter until this past weekend.
Temps have been above 0 in most of Ontario until this past weekend. Saturday could not get into the car, after letting the car warm up rear doors worked but the drivers still would not work. Today I find out there is a fix, I wonder how long this has been available but no recall, I guess there is no safety issue here. The fix is on back order. This should be a safety recall issue!!!!.
So reach out to your dealerships.
At this point not sure if another Lexus is in my future.
I was just at my Dealer this again this morning to seek a solution to my driver's frozen door handle issue. By happenstance, there was another customer immediately in front of me raising the same issue on his RX though, in addition to the driver's door, he had a passenger door that would not open. I spoke to Belair's Service Manager and he acknowledged that the frozen handle is a well known problem to the dealer and Lexus. As I stressed that I have a handicap parking permit due to having had severe back issues in the last couple of years, and that I did not want to risk re-injuring my back by climbing in the passenger side and reaching across to open the driver's door, he agreed to order a replacement part in the hope that that part would be of a new design or that even a replacement part of the problematic design would resolve my problem. I will update this thread once that repair has been accomplished.
It is good that you discovered that Lexus has a fix though disappointing to hear that they are not treating it as a fleet recall issue. I hope that your repair is done before the winter is out.
The following 2 users liked this post by Droynick:
K8lexus (01-08-24), lsft (01-03-24)
Old 01-08-24, 03:06 PM
K8lexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 30 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Scheduling Another Service Appt

The last time I was at a service appt in winter and the temps were under 32 F I told them I keep getting frozen out of my car.
(how embarrassing is it to spend $60,000 some on a car that you can’t enter and have to crawl in through another door anytime it’s cold?!? I live in Cleveland! It’s always cold!)
They said they would lubricate the handles and really didn’t offer much else. Basically a “that’s how it’s going to be” attitude. I asked to be put on a list for any recalls or warrantees for this problem as I’m sure I wasn’t the only one experiencing this issue.
I’m due for my 20k appt so I also asked that they see about getting a warrantee handle ordered while I have my car there. I’m hoping I’m able to get it because the lubrication definitely didn’t fix it.
I either keep a hand warmer packet in my winter coats to use or I will stand and rub the handle button over and over to create friction to thaw it out. I hate it but it’s a better look than clawing and flailing through my side door to pop the door open from the inside.
Old 01-08-24, 03:41 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by K8lexus
The last time I was at a service appt in winter and the temps were under 32 F I told them I keep getting frozen out of my car.
(how embarrassing is it to spend $60,000 some on a car that you can’t enter and have to crawl in through another door anytime it’s cold?!? I live in Cleveland! It’s always cold!)
They said they would lubricate the handles and really didn’t offer much else. Basically a “that’s how it’s going to be” attitude. I asked to be put on a list for any recalls or warrantees for this problem as I’m sure I wasn’t the only one experiencing this issue.
I’m due for my 20k appt so I also asked that they see about getting a warrantee handle ordered while I have my car there. I’m hoping I’m able to get it because the lubrication definitely didn’t fix it.
I either keep a hand warmer packet in my winter coats to use or I will stand and rub the handle button over and over to create friction to thaw it out. I hate it but it’s a better look than clawing and flailing through my side door to pop the door open from the inside.
This is just ludicrous, people who live in cold climates should not buy Lexus vehicles with these electronic button doors. Maybe then Lexus will realize something is wrong.
The following users liked this post:
Droynick (01-08-24)
Old 01-09-24, 05:58 AM
K8lexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 30 Likes on 9 Posts

This is just ludicrous, people who live in cold climates should not buy Lexus vehicles with these electronic button doors. Maybe then Lexus will realize something is wrong.
The service department called me this am and said they are ordering 2 new door handles for me (drivers side front and back where the problem occurs) and will hopefully have them by my appt for an oil change on Friday. I will keep everyone posted on how the new handles go this winter!
Thank you to everyone for their info because no one from the dealer called to tell me they have a potential fix for this. I only learned of that here! So thank you!
The following users liked this post:
Droynick (01-09-24)
Old 01-09-24, 07:22 AM
buhdeh
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

My door handles were fine last winter but they started freezing this year in Ontario despite it being warmer than last year.

My dealer said there was no fix yet but according to this thread, there is a fix? I dunno what’s going on but this whole thing seems kinda shoddy from Lexus. I was told that the dealer had at least 15-20 people calling in about this issue from last week alone.
Old 01-09-24, 07:47 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 589 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by buhdeh
My door handles were fine last winter but they started freezing this year in Ontario despite it being warmer than last year.

My dealer said there was no fix yet but according to this thread, there is a fix? I dunno what’s going on but this whole thing seems kinda shoddy from Lexus. I was told that the dealer had at least 15-20 people calling in about this issue from last week alone.
We will need to see if there is a TBS for Canada for the door handles and if there is one for the US, it would not apply to Canada. It's very odd - but that is how it works. I have not seen a TBS for the door handles yet... but some do claim there is a fix.
Old 01-19-24, 05:00 PM
DC05
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This makes sense that water or condensation is dripping or forming on the door handle and then runs down around the button. It must be getting under or sitting around the rubber button and then temps drop and freezes it.

One would think Lexus would have tested this in the cold climates of Canada before they implemented this new door latch feature.
Heard from the dealer this week where I purchased the car and they told me that Lexus had a solution for the door handle freezing problem. I went to Belair Lexus today and they confirmed that this was the case. The door handles are currently on back order. They did however ordered 4 new handles (all handles will get replaced) and now I just have to wait until they come in. At least it is now moving forward. It took Lexus a while to react since this has been an issue since the NX 2022 model.
Old 01-19-24, 05:09 PM
LexusTor
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am waiting for the parts to come in, the dealer in Ajax, Lakeridge Lexus told me Lexus has only authorized the front doors on the NX350h.
My wife and I are disappointed with the NX350h. We liked our 2013 LX350 much better and at times we wish we kept instead.
Old 01-19-24, 11:38 PM
hintonwood
Pit Crew

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusTor
I am waiting for the parts to come in, the dealer in Ajax, Lakeridge Lexus told me Lexus has only authorized the front doors on the NX350h.
My wife and I are disappointed with the NX350h. We liked our 2013 LX350 much better and at times we wish we kept instead.
Well 4 of my NX350h doors were freezing and 4 handles were replaced. All 4 doors now open fine in -5C. I think your dealer is telling you porky pies about only authorising front doors.

Last edited by hintonwood; 01-19-24 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Spelling