NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Observations, Lexus NX 450h+ 2022 model

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-23, 01:06 AM
BobMillar
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Observations, Lexus NX 450h+ 2022 model

This is a long post, but I don't want to start a half-dozen new threads. I hope some of you will find it interesting, because some of the items apply to all NX2gen models.Overall, this is a top-class car with modern equipment that makes the car a pleasure to drive. There are, however, some exceptions noted below.

1. The motor is quiet and I don’t experience the loud high-revving problems that the 350 has (and I experienced on test drives). The motor/electric setup is different and that was the reason for ordering the 450h+ in the first place. The motor does in fact rev quite high when the car is stopped at lights etc. Fuel consumption is good, much better than the diesel I had before, but I could wish for a bigger tank.

2. The acceleration is very good and the braking is superb, especially when you get used to the charge/brake functions.

3. The steering is precise and the “radar” driving function is excellent when you are used to it.

4. The camera functions are very good and helpful and the different views are also good for tight spots and reversing in crowded car parks/garages. I like the warnings for pedestrians, cars approaching etc.

5. I really like the HUD and the way it shows navigation instructions. I like also that it shows vehicles approaching from behind and then pulling in in front when the radar functions are activated.

6. No problems whatsoever with charging, but where I live, I can only charge with the 3-phase public type chargers where I get to full charge from minimum in 2,5 hours. However, I would say that normally, if you can’t charge at home, don’t buy a plug-in vehicle. I am waiting for the owners of my home garage to install charge points, then I will get the full benefit.

7. The suspension is stiffer than the 350 and therefore there is less rolling on sharp corners and roundabouts. One reason for choosing the F-Sport model. But read on…

8. As a consequence of stiffer suspension and 20” runflat tyres, there is noise and vibration at higher speeds on typical “non-slip” motorway speeds. This is the kind of surface with rough, small bumps that ensure good drainage. The HUD vibrates/blurs and it is not possible to hold a normal conversation. Winter tyres on 18” wheels (Continental Viking Contact 7 Studless) have made a huge difference to this but not eliminated it completely, leading me to believe that the suspension cannot handle this kind of vibration effectively. I will have the suspension checked with the first service and I will try “Contisilent” tyres next summer to see if that cures it. It’s possible that the suspension, being electronically controlled, can be “tuned” to change the spring damping a bit.

9. The inside door-sill seals (the bottom bit) are poorly designed. They allow mud and dust to gather at the bottom inside of the door which is not washed away in the autowash. I have to do it by hand, which is annoying. I suspect that this design also contributes to the high noise level.

10. Additionally, the car’s aerodynamics deposit quite a lot of road debris on the front and back body behind the wheel arches, which is unsightly and means that I will have to fit mudflaps, which are not so good in snowy or slushy weather because they cause a buildup of ice in the wheel well.

11. The front windscreen wiper driver side (left side) leaves a large part of the left side unwiped. The wiper geometry is wrong, probably because Japan is right hand drive. I will see if an adjustment can be made, but this can also cause a buildup of ice in snow/freezing situations.

12. The fancy pop-out baggage hooks in the trunk just don’t work. I have tried hanging different sorts of bags but real shopping bags just have to stand or fall. How these made their way into the final build I can’t imagine.

13. The NX front winter (rubber) mat driver side does not stop mud and grit going on the under carpet, leaving a stain that will become permanent. I will make a workaround myself with some tape.

14. The Lexus supplied NX baggage room protective liquid proof rubber mat (essential in my opinion) does not fold, as you would expect, to allow the small cable compartment to be easily opened when there is shopping or other things being carried. Look for a flexible alternative.

15. The car was delivered without wheel lock bolts or a puncture repair kit. Probably because the runflat tyres were specified. I will buy both.

All that said, the most difficult problem is the suspension. I hope it can be cured and then the car will be how I expect a Lexus to be!
The following users liked this post:
mangust (01-28-23)
Old 01-28-23, 08:50 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 600 Likes on 403 Posts

Very detailed points in your comments.

#10. Most cars nowadays with the aerodynamics do make the back extremely dirty. Even with mud flaps, my back is still dirty and full of road dirt. The snow that is left with the mud flap typically will go away or you'll have to kick it a bit to loosen and let it fall.

#12. I've been able to use those 2 bag hooks with my bags and it hasn't moved around when hanging there. You have large bags in Sweden?

#15. Without wheel locks - In Canada, mine came with wheel locks as standard.

Hope they figure out what is wrong with the suspension as it's not a problem with my F-Sport even with the run-flat tires. In fact, with my Michelin X-Ice 18" winter tires, I don't feel that big of a difference. I'll to observe it more when I do the switch over in the spring.
The following users liked this post:
Htrain (01-28-23)
Old 01-28-23, 11:13 AM
shiftD7
Driver

Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm in same boat as LSFT. I don't have any suspension issues with my 450h+ F Sport in Canada. It's very smooth and quiet. I only hear wind noise from the Cross Bars.

When I tighten it up with S+, I feel the suspension is firm with very little body roll in sharp corners but noise and vibration is little to non-existent.
Old 01-29-23, 09:23 PM
gcskoor
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I found the mudflats to help a bit on side dirt and also door still area. Not perfect, but relatively easy, cheap add-on. Maybe ceramic coatngs helped also.

On wipers, I saw that on review before purchase and it is true- quite a large swath left on windshield. It is odd. Guess no car is perfect. LOL I did put a cermic glass coating on from/back windows to let it flow off better. So far, it has not bothered me, but the NX is not my daily really bad weather driver--yet.

I have a 350h. Getting rid of the run-flats is a major upgrade on ride and noise- esp 20in wheels. On tire kit, I added a Milwaukee M12 inflator in hidden truck panel. It is compact, light weight, accurate auto shut-off and relatively fast. One can do the winter/summer top-off in 5 mins. Not as fast as my home Milwauke M18 inflator, but much lighter and bulk. Considering adding a can of Slime for the day when just air will not get me home.

I did add the wheels locks and ordered an extra key.

I also have the Lexus OEM all weather floor mats. They are ok, but just added for winter us the Weathertech front liners with the much higher side walls. However, they make the NX look more like a truck and quite noisy. The OEM are a litter quieter and more refined looking. WT has a new premium line that is probably more like the Lexus rubber, but not made yet for the NX. But both really let a lot of dirt around the accelerator pedal- likely all mats now are very cautious for the runaway accleration/mats lawsuits issues of the past.

Last edited by gcskoor; 01-29-23 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-30-23, 06:28 AM
Dkaplan
Intermediate

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

9. The inside door-sill seals (the bottom bit) are poorly designed. They allow mud and dust to gather at the bottom inside of the door which is not washed away in the autowash. I have to do it by hand, which is annoying. I suspect that this design also contributes to the high noise level.

I keep microfiber cloths in the car and clean/dry the bottom inside of the door when necessary. Do I like having to do that, no. That’s said, it’s not a big deal for me.

Last edited by Dkaplan; 01-30-23 at 09:04 AM.