NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Body side molding

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-23, 07:53 PM
jlim0930
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Body side molding

Last week my wife was in a parking lot and some lady parked next to her and slammed her door onto the NX and a big dent was made. Kind of sad to see how easily it dented.

thinking about getting the body side molding added to the car. How high or where on the door panel does it need to be installed? Does instructions come with it like x inches from the window or bottom of the door?

Old 02-04-23, 05:19 AM
AlexPi
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats how my dealer installed it for me :

The following users liked this post:
NX350FSP (02-07-23)
Old 02-04-23, 06:41 AM
jlim0930
Rookie

Thanks for the photo.. it looks a bit low? I would have figured it would have been installed on the outter most part?

The dent in ours is in the back drivers side but about in between the door handle and where you molding is... kind of the outter most part of the door

Nice colors and trims btw!

Originally Posted by AlexPi

Last edited by jlim0930; 02-04-23 at 06:54 AM.
Old 02-04-23, 07:36 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 238 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by jlim0930
Last week my wife was in a parking lot and some lady parked next to her and slammed her door onto the NX and a big dent was made. Kind of sad to see how easily it dented.

thinking about getting the body side molding added to the car. How high or where on the door panel does it need to be installed? Does instructions come with it like x inches from the window or bottom of the door?
That's the issue with this. Back in the day EVERY car had it as a dealer added item, remember "trim guard"? As stated, though, unless the offenders door is the same height as the moulding, you'll still get dents. It really doesn't work well hence the demise of that company.

Paintless dent repair works well. Developed by Mercedes years ago there are now lots of small companies around that can massage most dents out. They have several special tools and training/experience to do the job. I've had it done several times. So long as the paint isn't chipped or the dent is in a position where they cant access it (like in a fold or crease), for around $100.00 they can get the dents out and you'll never know it was there.
jlim0930 (02-05-23)
Old 02-04-23, 08:34 AM
blueless
Pit Crew

Received 91 Likes on 60 Posts

From another thread - molding installed higher up:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...l#post11349665
jlim0930 (02-05-23)
Old 02-05-23, 07:04 AM
jlim0930
Rookie

we are getting pdr this week and while we took it in to get an estimate we found another ding on the opposite side of the car!

Our previous cars did not ding as easy.. is the NX dinging so much because of thinner material was used to make it lighter?

Old 02-05-23, 01:36 PM
gcskoor
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I installed the OEM moulding using the height instructions given in the package. It is considerable higher. I also had seen a few with the factory/port, they were also higher. An seemed to match my height also. When I installed it, I looked at the outward radius of the door, it did seem to be the best location or max protection. I doubt it offers much protection, but without adding a very wide strip, it seems a reasonable trade of visual looks vs protection.
Old 02-05-23, 03:48 PM
blueless
Pit Crew

Received 91 Likes on 60 Posts

The main problem is the door shape of the OTHER vehicle. A car door, especially a rear one, has a pointy part and the height varies too much for a single molding to block.
Well . . . a torpedo bulkhead *might* do the job.

gcskoor (02-05-23)
Old 02-05-23, 11:23 PM
gcskoor
Pit Crew

Here is a pic I captured of a factory installed body side molding of a NX on the showroom floor to see if I wanted to install one, when I got mine. I did nstall and instruction seems to be at the same height.

One reason I wanted to install myself, I figured the dealer might just slap it on somewhere on side. I would ask them to reinstall it to correct height, if it was mine.
Attached Thumbnails Body side molding-img_0004.jpg  

Last edited by gcskoor; 02-05-23 at 11:27 PM.
Old 02-06-23, 06:14 AM
littleneil
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This thread has gotten my attention as I've requested side molding on the build I am waiting for. Printed Lexus instructions indicate they should be 409 mm (about 16 inches) in the middle below the chrome window molding. The photo on the official Lexus build your own Lexus web site (add accessories) seems to show them installed even higher. As an aside I've been stressing about door dings for years and go to great lengths to avoid them; such as parking and walking long distances, grabbing an end spot, preferably next to a passenger door, and parking next to a four door car. Some you win and some you lose.
redhot47fl (02-06-23)
Old 02-06-23, 12:34 PM
gcskoor
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by littleneil
This thread has gotten my attention as I've requested side molding on the build I am waiting for. Printed Lexus instructions indicate they should be 409 mm (about 16 inches) in the middle below the chrome window molding. The photo on the official Lexus build your own Lexus web site (add accessories) seems to show them installed even higher. As an aside I've been stressing about door dings for years and go to great lengths to avoid them; such as parking and walking long distances, grabbing an end spot, preferably next to a passenger door, and parking next to a four door car. Some you win and some you lose.
Unfortutnely, the nice Lexus configurator folks seems to think just any resprenation of a cover is good enough to order. On this forum, we are probably just not the norm. If you look at the lower right hand corner of the 2023 NX BSM pic, it shows from a 2019 model. Yeah, that helps. LOL. And the key glove does not match my key fob cover either. They just put in some stock pics, it seems.

If it helps, I took a pic, as similar as possible, of my BSM. It was installed as close as I could to the install instructions. Right before I set it, I did consider my locale- pickup and suv country. I did consider moving it higher, but when I looked at the most outward portion of the door radius, it seemed thei insturioins seem to be spot to protect the most outward point of door.

An it seems to work, while at a Costco gas staton, I pulled up close to the pump. There was a concrete pole right by the driver door. I head a slight bump as I open the door. I got that sick feeling, but the pole did hit the BSM with no damage- thankfully.
Attached Thumbnails Body side molding-img_0638.-2nd-.jpg   Body side molding-img_0636-first.jpg  

Last edited by gcskoor; 02-06-23 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-06-23, 03:03 PM
littleneil
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow I'm impressed with your findings. Shame on the Lexus Webmaster. So... which picture is yours?
Old 02-07-23, 12:07 AM
gcskoor
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by littleneil
Wow I'm impressed with your findings. Shame on the Lexus Webmaster. So... which picture is yours?
Yeah, I worked as an IT Architect (now retired) for a very large computer manufacture. I "learned" to check out the specs before I summited my designs. LOL

Both are my pics. just different angles. I had posetd an outside pic a few days on another post for someone. And also a NX wit the factory/port installed BSM.
Old 02-07-23, 02:36 PM
NX350FSP
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexPi

Mine is the same as yours, slightly lower, but I find it looks better that way.

Old 02-07-23, 05:45 PM
jlim0930
Rookie

Got pdr done on both sides. The pdr guy said that the metal on the nx felt thinner and lighter like on a subaru.

Pdr came out good but paint missing on a small area on one side. Will try to fill and then put bsm.
looking at both dents the height seems to be similar on both sides so will aim for that