NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Visibility Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-23 | 06:53 AM
Phatboy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LindyLu
For those of you who already have a 2022 or 2023 NX, are you concerned with any visibility issues; i.e. blind spots when trying to change into the right line? I have an NX on order but saw where Consumer Reports had this on their "lows". I appreciate any feedback on this. Thank you.
Did you not test drive the car before you place an order? I don't have the issue plus mine has blind spot detection.
Old 03-09-23 | 08:54 AM
Dkaplan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Phatboy
Did you not test drive the car before you place an order? I don't have the issue plus mine has blind spot detection.
I have not test driven a car for over 20 years, starting with the 1999 M3! I purchased all the cars new but knew what I wanted.

Last edited by Dkaplan; 03-09-23 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-09-23 | 10:34 AM
Phatboy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dkaplan
I have not test driven a car for over 20 years, starting with the 1999 M3! I purchased all the cars new but knew what I wanted.
Me either. But the OP seemed to need to test drive the car, instead of asking if other owners have a visibility issue.
Old 03-09-23 | 10:48 AM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Me either. But the OP seemed to need to test drive the car, instead of asking if other owners have a visibility issue.
When we ordered ours last spring, there were no 2022's on the lot to be driven, just older used ones, so it really is conceivable that someone would buy one without driving it. Quite honestly, had we been able to drive a 2022 model we likely wouldn't have bought it. Nothing to do with visibility, though.
Old 03-09-23 | 11:07 AM
redhot47fl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Randyp1234
When we ordered ours last spring, there were no 2022's on the lot to be driven, just older used ones, so it really is conceivable that someone would buy one without driving it. Quite honestly, had we been able to drive a 2022 model we likely wouldn't have bought it. Nothing to do with visibility, though.
Because...?
Old 03-09-23 | 11:51 AM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Originally Posted by redhot47fl
Because...?
Way too long of a list but a lot is based on the "Lexus Interface" system and almost everything being on the touch screen.
Old 03-09-23 | 11:54 AM
Phatboy
Driver School Candidate

Way too long of a list but a lot is based on the "Lexus Interface" system and almost everything being on the touch screen.
Do enlighten us please. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-09-23 | 11:56 AM
LStoneX
Intermediate

That's interesting, I think.

I did test drive one in January 2022 when I ordered, and the biggest thing that sold me on the purchase, apart from being a great hybrid, was the vastly superior and improved infotainment. I had put off getting a newer Lexus from my 2IS simply because of that hellish trackpad and lack of Apple Carplay/ Android Auto.

Some of the biggest pluses for me and I use them so much every single time.

Wait... @Randyp1234 are you indirectly showing your age?😜🤣😂
Old 03-09-23 | 12:04 PM
Phatboy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LStoneX
That's interesting, I think.

I did test drive one in January 2022 when I ordered, and the biggest thing that sold me on the purchase, apart from being a great hybrid, was the vastly superior and improved infotainment. I had put off getting a newer Lexus from my 2IS simply because of that hellish trackpad and lack of Apple Carplay/ Android Auto.

Some of the biggest pluses for me and I use them so much every single time.

I was given an option for the 2022 RX hybrid (available now) or 2022 NX hybrid (need to wait) while both were at a comparable price. I opted to wait because I sat in the interior of the 2022 NX350 (not hyrbid) and loved the infotainment / center screen layout and all.

Is it because people are expecting the Android Auto or Apple CarPlay should allow people to cast the screen on the display? That's why they don't like it?
Old 03-09-23 | 12:09 PM
LStoneX
Intermediate

I was given an option for the 2022 RX hybrid (available now) or 2022 NX hybrid (need to wait) while both were at a comparable price. I opted to wait because I sat in the interior of the 2022 NX350 (not hyrbid) and loved the infotainment / center screen layout and all.

Is it because people are expecting the Android Auto or Apple CarPlay should allow people to cast the screen on the display? That's why they don't like it?
Completely agree with you on the infotainment. Probably the biggest plus feature on The 2NX.

That said, I don't think people should be trying to cast their screens to the large infotainment screen (for example to watch a video) even if you can, especially while driving. That's just wrong and a very good recipe for an accident waiting to happen.

I don't live in my car, so when I'm not driving, I'm very likely in a place where I can access an actual large screen to watch any videos. Where, I can't, my phone screen and my earphones would do just fine.

I don't think Lexus is trying to compete with the Tesla and make the infotainment an extension of your workstation; and I don't think it should be. You wouldn't try to be working on your computer if you're driving a forklift.
Old 03-09-23 | 01:15 PM
Droid13
Racer

Completely agree with you on the infotainment. Probably the biggest plus feature on The 2NX.
I don't think Lexus is trying to compete with the Tesla and make the infotainment an extension of your workstation; and I don't think it should be. You wouldn't try to be working on your computer if you're driving a forklift.
Me too. A colleague of mine got his NX350h in December and he absolutely loves the touch screen technology. He showed me and, yup, I ordered an NX too. I was a very big Tesla fan, but as much as they have really cool technology in general, I really and absolutely hate the way they implemented it all as just one big touch screen in the 3 and Y and nothing but a barren wasteland in the rest of the interior.

While the 14 screen looks awesome, I'm actually not a huge fan of touch screens though, but I guess its better than the hated touch pad. My current RX has the feedback enabled mouse system with a non-touch screen and it is absolutely superb. Sad it never caught on. When driving on bumpy roads getting your finger to land in the right place on a touch screen can be annoying. My RX the mouse control is so precise regardless of bumps and with the feedback system I could often select things on screen without even looking at it. Lots of people complained about it, but I guess they don't use computers much. I've been using a mouse professionally since Windows 1.0 (yup, the very first version) so its second nature.

These comments remind me a bit of CCN's recent Youtube review of the Toyota Tacoma. He just gushed over how everything was so old school, zero tech even for 22 (or 23, can't remember which year he was reviewing) - except for the old gen smart key system as the one token tech feature) perfect for people that hate technology, like it was a time machine. Only thing missing was the cassette player. LOL.

Last edited by Droid13; 03-09-23 at 01:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LStoneX (03-09-23)
Old 03-09-23 | 02:00 PM
Randyp1234
Advanced

LOL - I probably am!
The following users liked this post:
redhot47fl (03-09-23)
Old 03-10-23 | 04:28 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Here is a video where at about 11:15 time frame he talks about what he doesn’t like and he mentions the blind spots are bad on the new NX.

Wouldn’t fixing your mirrors correctly remove most of these? But he mentions the A pillers.

He also says at 9:10 the interior noise levels are loud in the NX. Is this true? I thought this was one of the things they changed and added more sound proofing?

Last edited by Xanadu350; 03-10-23 at 04:48 AM.
Old 03-10-23 | 05:24 AM
redhot47fl
Intermediate

The mirrors, the blind-spot monitoring system (that I believe is standard on all NXs) and just good driving techniques render any visibility issues moot. It's simply a non-issue, imo.

I can't speak for F-Sports, but on "regular" NX350 turbos, interior noise levels are well within normal specs. Another non-issue, imo.

(And I'm coming from high-end BMWs)

Old 03-10-23 | 05:25 AM
Phatboy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
Here is a video where at about 11:15 time frame he talks about what he doesn’t like and he mentions the blind spots are bad on the new NX.

Wouldn’t fixing your mirrors correctly remove most of these? But he mentions the A pillers.

He also says at 9:10 the interior noise levels are loud in the NX. Is this true? I thought this was one of the things they changed and added more sound proofing?

https://youtu.be/ocJhgTxrz0U
My Gen2 is the 350h. In terms of the interior noise level, I would say it is noisier than Gen 1 (NX200t/NX300), but it doesn't really bother me as it is still a very quiet cabin. I found that when motor was kicking in to charge the battery, it is the noisiest. When you are driving under battery, it is quieter than Gen 1 (below 30km/h or 55-70km/h). Highway (100-120km/h) low-level of elevated road noise. But for most city driving, they are about the same noise level

Quick Reply: Visibility Issues