NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Noises, Squeaks, Rattles and Solutions Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-16, 12:10 PM
DeanDohert
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked the tools and tire jack which are all secure. The back compartment cover just seems to vibrate in place when i hit bumps in the road even though it is hooked down at one end. Checked tire pressure and dealer says it is normal.
Old 07-28-16, 12:53 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by DeanDohert
I checked the tools and tire jack which are all secure. The back compartment cover just seems to vibrate in place when i hit bumps in the road even though it is hooked down at one end. Checked tire pressure and dealer says it is normal.
If you've ruled out the tonneau cover, lower the center armrest and test.
Old 07-28-16, 01:00 PM
DeanDohert
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I will try that.
Old 07-28-16, 01:17 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Thanks, I will try that.
You're welcome. A few owners have had the same rattle including myself, also documented in this thread.

I don't mind keeping it down and when we have the rare 3rd rear passenger, it goes back up and the weight of the middle person prevents the rattle.

Btw, welcome to the forum!
Old 07-30-16, 04:55 AM
dCota
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Double-check that tonneau cover! I had the most obnoxious rattle right after I bought my NX and it turned out to be the tonneau cover. On the side of it that meets the back seats, there are two "notches" on each side that the tonneau "latches" into. If it's not pushed securely into those notches, it will actually slide an inch or two when you accelerate and brake. Once I noticed that, problem solved!

dCota
Old 08-04-16, 04:46 PM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

I have my cover stored above spare tire. Takes up valuable space. Ok on RX however noisy.
Old 08-11-16, 01:19 PM
RRedline
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kent2174
My NX is the most solid sounding car I've ever owned.
And mine is the least. Car has more rattles and squeaks than any car I've ever owned. Dealer trips are massively inconvenient, so we live with it. My neighbor just picked up a new RX and it is silent inside -- wish my NX was like that. Overall, as my first Lexus, not a great impression for build quality.
Old 08-12-16, 03:12 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RRedline
And mine is the least. Car has more rattles and squeaks than any car I've ever owned. Dealer trips are massively inconvenient, so we live with it. My neighbor just picked up a new RX and it is silent inside -- wish my NX was like that. Overall, as my first Lexus, not a great impression for build quality.
My sentiments exactly.
Old 08-12-16, 07:32 AM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

wonder if difference is that mine is 2016 model?
Old 08-28-16, 05:57 PM
aztr0
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Ever since picking up the NX I was not able to turn the muaic up due to the license plate rattle. Turns out it was the frame, and not the plate itself. But I did not want to take a chance. Anyways there are different ways people have fixed it, this is what I did. 2 Dynamat Xtreme that sold on Amazon 10" x 4" cut. Dr. Scholls moleskin and molefoam. I doubled the Dynamat on the plate. Then used moleskin around the edges of the Dynamat to make sure none of that tar like adhensive might leak in heat. I used molefoam on the corners of the plate frame and then 4 pieces surrounding the frame sides. The factory came with 4 foam pieces on the plate area already, so after screwing the license plate and frame back on, the plate has a slope to it due to the added gurth. Fixed it but adding a spacer on the top screws so it balances the lower frame. The rattle from the license plate area is gone. I can finally listen to music normally. The liftgate subwoofer is still a bad design though, no way to fix that unless I do foam like Corrado. But I don't turn up my music that loud anyways.

Old 08-28-16, 07:47 PM
alfaromeo3
Pole Position

Worst car I have ever owned. Wife and I got tired after owning the NX for almost a year and had been in the dealership with all this crazy noises. Noises just keeps coming back.
Old 08-29-16, 08:49 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

I get a rattle after my NX sits in the hot sun. It's in the area just below (and maybe left or right of) the nav screen, somewhere around the flat area between the air vents and the nav. On days where the NX is not sitting in direct sunlight, there is no rattle.

Anyone else experience this?
Old 08-29-16, 09:22 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 716 Likes on 524 Posts

It does seem odd that some of you have had so many issues with rattles. This vehicle has no rattles of any sort after about 8 months. Ours is a 16 model year and a hybrid. How does that compare with those of you noting a high number of rattles?
Old 08-30-16, 06:52 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

I've had my NX for 20 months now and with the exception of some minor ones I posted about in this thread early on in my ownership (and majority reduced or eliminated), it's been very solid ever since. Very happy with it.
Old 08-30-16, 08:10 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by alfaromeo3
Worst car I have ever owned. Wife and I got tired after owning the NX for almost a year and had been in the dealership with all this crazy noises. Noises just keeps coming back.
This is an entry level car and a new model. It could be argued it was somewhat rushed as its underpinnings are Rav 4 and much of the switch gear and even the dash LED screen is pure Toyota. And don't get me started on those plastic fenders stuck on with tape.

However, given these facts, its likely to be a safe and reliable family car with few problems that can be kept for 10 years with minimal hassle.

If you wanted 'absolute quality' then you should have purchased an RX. In North America the difference in price is not huge. Unfortunately, in Australia, a decent loaded RX is US $100 000 plus.

Quick Reply: NX Noises, Squeaks, Rattles and Solutions Thread