NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Rear Dashcam DIY

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-15, 10:12 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Rear Dashcam DIY

Anyone every try installing a dashcam on the rear hatch of the NX? Or any hatch? I think the idea would be to leave a small loop of wire to accommodate the opening of the hatch, but is that distracting when driving? How big is this loop? Specifically, I am looking at the Blackvue DR650-GW.

Would appreciate any experience and photos if available. Thanks!

Last edited by computerwi; 05-25-15 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-05-15, 10:42 PM
rumpletzer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd first look for a power source already inside the rear door that supplies a constant 12V when the car is on. If you find that, you're golden. Tap in with a 12V to 5V converter and run your cable inside the door trim to the part of the window that you want, and you're done easy.

Otherwise, the obvious 12V would be from the power outlet in the cargo area. Tap into that, up the side and into the ceiling, and join the bundle of wires that enters the rear door to control and power the rear wiper and the lights. They're likely contained in a bundle inside a rubber tube that's hidden when the door is closed. From there, you do what I described above.

I have an extra dash cam. I might look into this in a few weeks if I've got time. If you've not figured it out by then, I'll take pics.
Old 05-06-15, 05:37 AM
wildeklave
Pole Position

What is the rear dash cam used for? I assume it is different from the backup camera that the NX has as standard.
Old 05-06-15, 07:13 AM
cb80923
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the blackvue front/rear camera system. the rear camera plugs into the front camera. I have the camera mounted to center of the rear window, the wire runs over to the right top corner between the plastic and the window.then I do have a "loop" or slack that hangs down over there and the wire runs around the top right side of the vehicle pushed into the head board area.

The key to the loop is to open the rear hatch completely,install the wire to the length you need it, then get in the vehicle, close the rear hatch with the fob, and guide the slack wire down into the loop you want (so it doesnt get caught in the closing hatch on the side etc).

I dont even notice the loop anymore, specifically, in the rear view mirror, it does not stick out, it blends in with the C-pillar.

Last edited by cb80923; 05-06-15 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-21-15, 03:49 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Well my Blackvue system arrived finally. Turns out the rear cam isn't the problem. Rather, the sensors for the Auto high beams and lane departure consume lots of windshield real estate behind the rear view mirror. In my IS, I was able to mount the front cam essentially out of the sight right behind the mirror. This isn't possible with all the tech now. I could mount it lower, but the sight of wires is just ghastly.

cb80923, where did you mount the front cam? Could you post a picture of the setup? Thanks.
Old 05-22-15, 11:27 AM
cb80923
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by computerwi
the sensors for the Auto high beams and lane departure consume lots of windshield real estate behind the rear view mirror.
cb80923, where did you mount the front cam? Could you post a picture of the setup? Thanks.
I dont have that problem here in the US - no lane departure or auto high beams here.

My front cam is behind and to the right side of the rearview mirror... here are pics:

View in the Rearview Mirror:

View from Driver Position (2 wires run beside rearview mirror stem):

View from Passenger Position:

View from Front Bumper (white strip is a Car Wash RF ID Tag):

Rear Camera Wire at back right corner:

Old 05-25-15, 02:04 PM
loahu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how do you "2 wires run beside rearview mirror stem"? hot wire from the rear mirror? is that difficult to do? Thanks
Old 05-25-15, 07:03 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Default Blackvue DR-650GW DIY

I don't recommend tapping into the rear view mirror personally. I have the Blackvue DR-650GW with the PowerMagic unit that allows the dashcam to operate when the car is off without draining the battery dead. Here's the photos of my setup.

Refer to this IS post for more textual instructions: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...tallation.html

Thanks to cb80923 for his photos, which helped a lot with my planning.

As per request, a photo of the fuse box connections is shown below. The ground was wrapped around a nearby screw that holds the plastic footwell light assembly up. It was difficult to get photos of the ground connection, but essentially any metal contact point of the vehicle will suffice. The fuse box connections are bit crude as I basically just shoved the wires in with the fuse, but for such a low powered accessory, this should be fine. I inserted the wires on the "protected" side of leg of the fuse, which will protect the camera by cutting power off should the fuse trip. You can determine this using a multimeter. The wires are thin enough that the fuse box lid will still securely shut.

Last edited by computerwi; 10-27-15 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-16-16, 01:19 AM
LINSTEFAN
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't recommend tapping into the rear view mirror personally. I have the Blackvue DR-650GW with the PowerMagic unit that allows the dashcam to operate when the car is off without draining the battery dead. Here's the photos of my setup.

Refer to this IS post for more textual instructions: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...tallation.html

As per request, a photo of the fuse box connections is shown below. The ground was wrapped around a nearby screw that holds the plastic footwell light assembly up. It was difficult to get photos of the ground connection, but essentially any metal contact point of the vehicle will suffice. The fuse box connections are bit crude as I basically just shoved the wires in with the fuse, but for such a low powered accessory, this should be fine. I inserted the wires on the "protected" side of leg of the fuse, which will protect the camera by cutting power off should the fuse trip. You can determine this using a multimeter. The wires are thin enough that the fuse box lid will still securely shut.
By any chance are you willing to make a video on where you installed the ground wire to and what fuse number you wired the red and yellow wires to the fuse box if you don't mind? Not really a verbal type of guy, but more of a visual when it comes to installation. In addition, how did you wire the cigar jack socket to?

Thank you.

Last edited by LINSTEFAN; 05-16-16 at 01:35 AM.
Old 05-16-16, 02:25 AM
tomtom74
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Blackvue DR-650GW with the PowerMagic on 2016 RX 350 F-sport.
Rear camera was attached with bracket and 3m double sided tape.

Last edited by tomtom74; 05-16-16 at 02:37 AM.
Old 05-18-16, 06:28 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Originally Posted by LINSTEFAN
By any chance are you willing to make a video on where you installed the ground wire to and what fuse number you wired the red and yellow wires to the fuse box if you don't mind? Not really a verbal type of guy, but more of a visual when it comes to installation. In addition, how did you wire the cigar jack socket to?

Thank you.
LINESTEFAN, the video is probably a no.. It's just a lot of effort and I don't have that time nowadays. You can attach the ground to any unpainted metal part. Once you take off the plastic cover with the footwell light, there are a number of screws that are available. You can test this with a voltmeter by connecting to any of the fuses and testing the potential locations out for a positive connection.

The fuses for the ACC and PWR are detailed in the photos of the original post. They are the last ones nearest the driver's door (if you have a left-hand drive model).

I hid the power socket and extra wiring for the PowerMagic module behind the carpeting in the footwell area

Hope this helps. You may also want to refer to @BassMech's post here in the IS forums for some additional details: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post8280761
Old 05-18-16, 06:37 PM
computerwi
Advanced

@tomtom74, the metal bracket you have is a great idea! What did you use for that?

Originally Posted by tomtom74
Blackvue DR-650GW with the PowerMagic on 2016 RX 350 F-sport.
Rear camera was attached with bracket and 3m double sided tape.

Old 05-18-16, 06:58 PM
tomtom74
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

@tomtom74, the metal bracket you have is a great idea! What did you use for that?
I just went to Lowe's and found this double L shaped bracket.
Old 09-14-16, 10:27 AM
NXFan
Rookie

Hey Computerwi,
i have the same setup on the front as you do with the lane departure alert and rain sensing wipers but was wondering since you put the camera upside down, is the recording upside down also? For the rear camera, was there a way to put the coax wiring into the factory harness that goes from the body to the hatch so the wires are not exposed?
Thanks!
Old 03-19-17, 06:28 AM
wu01ok
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am actually in the process of doing this install. You can run the wires though the rubber garment just detach it. Once you detach and run the cables though you will need to remove the white plastic cover to install the garment back on.