NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Illuminated Door Sills

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-15, 08:45 AM
CybrRdr
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Illuminated Door Sills

I am considering purchasing Lexus Illuminated Door Sills for the NX. It appears to be an quick DIY project but I can't seem to find installation instructions anywhere. Does anyone know if the NX is pre-wired for the door sills or will I have to wire them myself? I have search the forum but it returns mostly hits for other models.
Old 10-22-15, 09:00 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I previously saw the instructions for this, you will be t tapping into the front of the door seal. There is a wire there. I can't remember which one though.
Old 10-22-15, 11:12 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Sewell used to have the instructions, but since they ceased public operations those are gone.
Old 10-22-15, 11:41 AM
DonnaNX
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to have them. I was told by the dealer that if they were not installed at the port, that they couldn't be added. I called and confirmed this with Lexus. However, I do recall seeing a DIY video on YouTube at one point but it calls for splicing wires and that's not something I'm capable of. If anyone has any success in installing these or having them installed, please post.
Old 10-22-15, 12:33 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DonnaNX
I would love to have them. I was told by the dealer that if they were not installed at the port, that they couldn't be added. I called and confirmed this with Lexus. However, I do recall seeing a DIY video on YouTube at one point but it calls for splicing wires and that's not something I'm capable of. If anyone has any success in installing these or having them installed, please post.
Your dealer is uneducated and simply was trying to push you into an early purchase. All you need to do is tap it into a power supply. I would think the best wire (if Doing it blindly) would be to look for the source wire for your ambient foot lighting so it would dim as well.

I've considered getting these but the price is quite high, so I'm waiting for the price to drop. I'll do a DIY at that time. There is no splicing, not everything is splicing....tapping is quick, effective, and Always reversible.

Don't let dealerships push you around, most have no idea for what they speak.
Old 10-22-15, 12:58 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm pretty sure I have the PDF install at home. If I do, I'll post it here.
Old 10-22-15, 01:17 PM
CybrRdr
Driver

Looking at the Lexus Illuminated Door Sills on eBay and it looks like the wires are set to plug into a harness. I am hoping that the NX is pre-wired for this harness. If so It would be a very easy install.

Old 10-22-15, 01:18 PM
DonnaNX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Swacer
Your dealer is uneducated and simply was trying to push you into an early purchase.
That could very well be but it wasn't a deal breaker for me and I love my NX, which had all the other bells and whistles that I was looking for. I figured that somehow I would eventually get the illuminated door sills installed.
Old 10-22-15, 01:22 PM
DonnaNX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CybrRdr
Looking at the Lexus Illuminated Door Sills on eBay and it looks like the wires are set to plug into a harness. I am hoping that the NX is pre-wired for this harness. If so It would be a very easy install.
From my conversation directly with Lexus, it is not pre-wired and the wires have to be spliced - maybe? But, if this is incorrect and it is a relatively simple install again, please let me know.
Old 10-22-15, 01:43 PM
cripsy
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DonnaNX
That could very well be but it wasn't a deal breaker for me and I love my NX, which had all the other bells and whistles that I was looking for. I figured that somehow I would eventually get the illuminated door sills installed.

I had them thrown in prior to delivery. I assure you that they are definitely worth it, they are amazing. It adds much more appeal to the car at night. They can also be turned off by the panel brightness switch.
Attached Thumbnails Illuminated Door Sills-img_2266.jpg   Illuminated Door Sills-img_2261.jpg   Illuminated Door Sills-img_2267.jpg  
Old 10-22-15, 01:54 PM
DonnaNX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cripsy
I had them thrown in prior to delivery. I assure you that they are definitely worth it, they are amazing. It adds much more appeal to the car at night. They can also be turned off by the panel brightness switch.
I totally agree, they really add ambience. I drove a demo for a couple of days that had them. They did stay on all the time at night while driving.
Old 10-22-15, 02:49 PM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

From looking at the pictures, both door sills have two plugs that look like they will plug together. It could be that you wire one into the car, then plug the door sill into it, making them removable by unplugging that connection. Can anyone confirm this?
The following users liked this post:
MOB561 (07-15-20)
Old 10-22-15, 07:22 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I am considering purchasing Lexus Illuminated Door Sills for the NX. It appears to be an quick DIY project but I can't seem to find installation instructions anywhere. Does anyone know if the NX is pre-wired for the door sills or will I have to wire them myself? I have search the forum but it returns mostly hits for other models.
here you go, had to ZIP up the PDF as it exceeded the attachment size limit
Attached Files
File Type: zip
DoorSills.zip (2.35 MB, 1100 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by typocl:
antonio98 (02-18-18), jhs82 (06-01-19)
Old 10-23-15, 05:22 AM
CybrRdr
Driver

Originally Posted by typocl
here you go, had to ZIP up the PDF as it exceeded the attachment size limit