NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

1 Year Ownership Impressions - 2015 NX 200t F Sport Series 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-15, 03:45 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts
Cool 1 Year Ownership Impressions - 2015 NX 200t F Sport Series 2

Exactly one year to this day, we replaced our RX F Sport ($58K Cdn) for the NX 200t F Sport Series 2 ($53K Cdn) with initial impressions posted in this thread. For those not aware, in Canada, this model for MY 2015 is the top-of-the-line F Sport offering which includes AVS, DRCC/pre-collision, LDA/LKA, BSM, HUD, NAV, premium sound, heated seats, memory seats, power sunroof, and other goodies.

So after 1 year of ownership and exactly 18 456 km, how is it holding up? What do we like and dislike? What do we feel can be improved? Read on...

WHAT WE REALLY LIKE
Interior and Exterior Styling. Especially with larger wheels and rubber, this car stands out!

Fuel Economy. YTD ave of 11.1 L/100km or 21 mpg. This seems poor but 80% of it is due to short city trips and 5 months has been in cold temperatures. In comparison, the RX averaged around 13.5 L/100km (17.4 mpg)

Size. At under 183 inches, it's "right-sized" for maneuvering in parking spots. It also fits in perfectly in our garage with no clearance issues while opening the power rear hatch.

Interior room. Plenty of leg room for my family of four. And cargo room, at a real-world 28 cu feet has been just enough to meet our road trip needs.

F Sport Seats. Despite my initial gripe with the bolstering, they have softened somewhat over time and fit like a glove. For my wife, she's loved them from Day 1.

Material Quality, Fit, and Finish. With the exception of the hard plastic bottom door halves, the interior looks premium thanks to quality materials, tight stitching, and narrow gaps.

Smooth powertrain. Smoothest four cylinder (and transmission) ever owned, but not without its fault (below).

Good Ride Quality. Thanks to the Adaptive Variable Suspension, this rides better than our previous RX F Sport, especially in colder temps.

Fun Drive and Handling. Especially in Sport S+ and in M-Mode, I enjoy the paddleshifting and taking occasional corners somewhat aggressively.

Reliability. Mechanically and electrically, 100% bullet proof reliable. This is an amazing feat considering this is a brand new model in its first year with an all-new Lexus-first 2L Turbo 4.

HUD. Once you experience the convenience of a Heads Up Display, it's hard to go without. Had it with the RX, and love it more on the NX thanks to the larger color display and useful navigation, engine, speed, and music information.

Winter AWD Traction. Critics will say how superior the competitions systems are and in certain extreme situations, they are better in the way power is transferred to each of the wheels, but the up-to 50:50 f/r power split and manual diff lock of the NX never got me stuck in Canadian wintery roads and parking spots. And that's with all-season rubber.

Available Power. Once boost is built, the NX pulls effortlessly, even when loaded with 4 people and cargo.

Solid Feel. Front doors still close with a nice solid thump 99% as good as Day 1.

Bluetooth Connectivity. No issues with various phones and tablets connecting and playing sound over Bluetooth.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _

WHAT WE'D LIKE TO SEE IMPROVED
Infotainment and Remote Touch Interface Touchpad. Although it's better with the force feedback disabled, at times it does not feel very precise as I occasionally "miss" my intended selection. In Canada, we don't even get Enform or any app-connectivity services making for a very basic-Toyota-like experience.

Overly Aggressive VSC. Even fully disengaged (Hold the Trac Button for 4+ seconds), the NX's stability control is intrusive and pulls back turbo boost hindering acceleration in a sometimes erratic fashion when most needed during quick intersection turns.

Turbo Lag. At a standstill, hit the pedal, count 1.5 seconds, then it lunges. Turbo power only really comes in at around 2800 rpms. I have never felt anything near the claimed 258 ft-lb torque at 1650 rpm. At highway speed, lag is less prominent thanks to some boost already built while at cruising speed.

Low-RPM Engine Vibrations. 750-800 rpm engine vibrations felt under certain conditions.

Some Squeaks and Rattles. More details here, but the rear armrest, and a recent tapping rattle in the driver's side is among the worst offenders.

Wind Turbulence Noise. Heard above 45 mph, can be reduced if Lexus upgrades the side glass to acoustic Lamisafe glass as they did with the first 2010 MY RX's.

Power Rear Hatch Speed. One Mississippi, Two Mississippi, Three Mississippi, Four Mississippi, Five Mississippi, Six Mississippi, Seven Mississippi, Eight Mississippi... Opened. Repeat above for Close to complete.

International Features Availability. Send over the 360 Deg Camera, Power Folding Mirrors, ML Sound System, Leather heated and Cooled F Sport Seats, Panoramic Roof to our market please. I'd have bought ALL of these features for say 3-4K more!

This about covers it. If you haven't noticed, I linked various existing threads to provide further information on the item discussed. On this note, would I buy the NX today?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Old 12-29-15, 05:11 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Mark Levinson and 360 camera best features so far.

The biggest negative is the level of premium fuel use which you glossed over. 11l/100kms is just not good enough in a modern vehicle.

I put this down to the cars weight and transmission. Too much Rav 4 not enough Lexus.

No use of aluminium in the undercarriage and its screaming for a 8 speed to improve fuel use.

I shouldn't be forced to buy an underpowered hybrid with Camry tech to get adecent mileage.

I suspect the midlife update will be significant with a different transmission, uprated power and lighter weight materials. Just like the is200t.
Old 12-29-15, 06:34 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

You didn't mention your nav screen display issue.
Old 12-29-15, 07:10 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by miop4000
Mark Levinson and 360 camera best features so far.

The biggest negative is the level of premium fuel use which you glossed over. 11l/100kms is just not good enough in a modern vehicle.
It is pretty good for a crossover vehicle in the N. American market in the use case I stated. If people want several more MPGs and on regular fuel, there's the NX 300h.

Originally Posted by NXOwner
You didn't mention your nav screen display issue.
It doesn't bother me like the rattles do. I also omitted the bottom-door seal for the same reason.
Old 12-29-15, 10:10 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There's one reason which stopped me from buying the NX when it came out and that's the lack of features.

Lexus UK have decided to omit ventilated seats, HUD and most importantly, memory seats!! They had initially removed ML but it's now available

Nevertheless, it worked out great as I think the new RX is a much more complete vehicle (and has much more presence IMO)
Old 12-30-15, 10:35 AM
jayy178
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great review!!