Rear Fog Lamps

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-16, 05:38 AM
satlawyer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Fog Lamps

Hello All,

So I got myself into a bit of fog the other night and while the front LED fog lamps worked perfectly well, I was surprised to notice that my NX is not equipped with rear fog lamps. Is that the case for the U.S/Canadian variants aswell? Disappointed.
Old 02-21-16, 05:43 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Lexus does not include rear fog lamps in its North American models.

For those who are ignorant of such, "rear fog lamps" are one or two bright red rear lights (approximately as bright as brake lights) that can be switched on by the driver [hopefully only] in foggy conditions. Required in Europe (and other places), they are typically only found in North America on European-branded cars, such as Jaguar, Porsche, etc.

Last edited by 15RC350F; 02-21-16 at 06:51 AM.
Old 02-21-16, 05:11 PM
Mr645
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

European cars have it. Volvo, Mercedes, BMW etc
Old 02-21-16, 06:24 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

sw disabled or hw level
Old 02-21-16, 09:52 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Hardware.

My NX has rear fog lights, and it replaces one of the reversing lights. So I only have one reversing light instead of two.
Old 02-22-16, 12:48 AM
satlawyer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TeaAholic1
Hardware.

My NX has rear fog lights, and it replaces one of the reversing lights. So I only have one reversing light instead of two.
Interesting...and you NX came equipped with it? Or was it an option that you had specifically asked for?

Some months in Dubai can be especially bad when very thick fog settles in and around most freeways. I am surprised that Lexus did not even give rear fog lamps as an option.

My Mercedes before this came equipped with front and rear fog lamps.
Old 02-22-16, 03:35 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by satlawyer
Interesting...and you NX came equipped with it? Or was it an option that you had specifically asked for?

Some months in Dubai can be especially bad when very thick fog settles in and around most freeways. I am surprised that Lexus did not even give rear fog lamps as an option.

My Mercedes before this came equipped with front and rear fog lamps.
I believe it's standard here in Australia. We usually get UK/European spec cars here so whatever the Europeans have (like the 300h in F Sport) we also get here.

Dubai usually gets the US based versions.

Here is my car with the reverse light and the rear fog lights. The rear fog lights are 3 LEDs. And they are super bright and blinding at night. They are brighter than the brake lights.

Old 02-22-16, 06:53 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Our U.S. spec Audi has two rear fog lights. I've used them only once in a heavy summer storm. Even though they are on the bumper below the taillights, to me they look like you are resting your foot on the brake pedal. Just because they are an uncommon sight in the U.S.I guess.
Old 02-22-16, 08:11 AM
satlawyer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TeaAholic1
I believe it's standard here in Australia. We usually get UK/European spec cars here so whatever the Europeans have (like the 300h in F Sport) we also get here.

Dubai usually gets the US based versions.

Here is my car with the reverse light and the rear fog lights. The rear fog lights are 3 LEDs. And they are super bright and blinding at night. They are brighter than the brake lights.

Thanks for the picture. It looks just about right. I was asking because I was having trouble trailing the car in front of me because it had no rear fog lamps and the standard tail lights were just not bright enough...until I saw a Mercedes with its fog lamps on and it made a world of a difference.
Old 02-23-16, 03:13 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Our U.S. spec Audi has two rear fog lights. I've used them only once in a heavy summer storm. Even though they are on the bumper below the taillights, to me they look like you are resting your foot on the brake pedal. Just because they are an uncommon sight in the U.S.I guess.
Huh, that's interesting. I know that some cars (like your Audi) has 2 rear fog lights, but cars usually have one, on the side of the driver so in the US that would be on the left bumper so people don't confuse it as a brake light.

Originally Posted by satlawyer
Thanks for the picture. It looks just about right. I was asking because I was having trouble trailing the car in front of me because it had no rear fog lamps and the standard tail lights were just not bright enough...until I saw a Mercedes with its fog lamps on and it made a world of a difference.
Yeah I would imagine so in thick fog. Now that I think of it, it can be quite dangerous.

Interestingly, we don't get much fog in Australia to really need fog lights. A lot of people on the road have them on anyway and it annoys everyone on the road.
Old 03-02-16, 05:30 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts
Default Compact aftermarket rear fog light on eBay Germany

This thread is a little stale but maybe some of you will be interested.

I installed very nice compact rear fog lights on two of our vehicles that didn't already have them - purchased on eBay Germany. it might work well on the NX and maybe other vehicles. It is marketed for use on U.S. specification cars imported into Europe. Unlike some of the poor quality aftermarket rear fog lights sold on eBay and Amazon, this one has an E-mark (E4/Netherlands) and is intense and focused.

Its current draw is extremely low - I powered it from the front fog light circuits without using relays via aftermarket switches I installed on the dashboards of our vehicles.

Here is an image from eBay Germany, an image of it unlighted on our Prius v wagon and an image of it when lighted on our Prius v.

I attached it to the bottoms of the rear bumper covers of our vehicles using L-brackets that I cut and painted black. I've had OEM rear fog lights on European cars I've owned and have installed aftermarket fog lights - usually Hella - on other Japanese cars. This LED rear fog light is the best I've seen.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Fog Lamps-rear-fog-light-on-ebay-germany.jpg   Rear Fog Lamps-prius-v-rear-fog-light.jpg   Rear Fog Lamps-prius-v-with-aftermarket-rear-fog-light-on.jpg  

Last edited by Kansas; 03-03-16 at 07:48 AM.