NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Any problems with your NX so far?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-17, 12:18 PM
zkl2003
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1halifax
I also have a ticking sound from that same area, but I thought it was coming from the back door. Now I am starting to wonder if could be the seat belt area. Is it the driver's seat belt?
I know exactly what you mean. At first, I thought it was from back too, and I clear everything and also put tape on the license plate. that didn't fix it. then I thought it was under my seat area which it has way too much wires. Then dealer checked and said it is the seat belt height adjuster which I was not expecting. Then I did trying to shake it and it has rattle sound which very similar what I heard on road. After they fix it, it came back again which I feel like it is loose from somewhere inside and might need a replacement. I will go tell them for next service since it is not major deal but it can get annoy over time.
Old 08-08-17, 01:42 PM
geiger11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have those left side rattles also, the top seat belt adjustment and bottom of belt where its bolted...I don't think we can get around these 2, it needs the space to move..also i think the paint chips like crazy almost like the paint is soft per say...my hood has at least 10 chips from normal highway driving and forget about the grey lower piece on front bottom of fsport ...
Old 08-08-17, 01:48 PM
zkl2003
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by geiger11
I have those left side rattles also, the top seat belt adjustment and bottom of belt where its bolted...I don't think we can get around these 2, it needs the space to move..also i think the paint chips like crazy almost like the paint is soft per say...my hood has at least 10 chips from normal highway driving and forget about the grey lower piece on front bottom of fsport ...
Yeah, I don't think they can just fix it. since it is nothing wrong or not working. I did saw another post where dealer replace it instead. But that really depends on the dealership. However I had a loaner of exactly same car which has no noise. I guess just some seat belt are like that.
Old 08-08-17, 02:32 PM
Yumyum
9th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by acheuk
What were the symptoms, did you get a knock going over bumps?
Symptoms started with a creaking sound when parking the car at slow speed. When you would steer to the hard right there was a creaking sound that got worse if additional passengers were in the car. They fixed the first mount and then 5k miles later it started very slightly when turning to the left. So they replaced the other mount.
Old 08-08-17, 02:35 PM
Yumyum
9th Gear

Originally Posted by zkl2003
Do you have rattle sound from drive's left area? I have it too as i hear things rattle and super close to my left ear. I thought it is from under seat, but dealership said it is seat belt adjuster area. They fixed but it came back after like a few days.
No rattles close to my left ear. Mine are in the back seat, rear door, dash, console, and nobody knows where else...
The following users liked this post:
zkl2003 (08-09-17)
Old 08-09-17, 11:54 AM
pittcj17
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 nx turbo knocking

The NX has been out since 2015, and so far I don't see that many problems reported by owners on this forum. It might be a good idea to start a thread on common problems to give other owners a heads-up.

Problems:
- Engine vibration at idle
- Nav screen coating deteriorates

Recalls:
- Auto parking brake
- ABS actuator
my nx makes a knocking noise when stopping and putting into gear. Driving one as a loaner and doesn't make same noise. Lexus dealership says they don't hear it but it's there all the time. They heard it on Friday but now in Monday can't hear it Any suggestions?
Old 08-09-17, 02:13 PM
vkliem21
Driver School Candidate

2015 NX 200t - Defective Vaccum Regulator Valve - causing buzzing/humming noise from engine.
Old 08-10-17, 09:45 PM
acheuk
Rookie

Originally Posted by vkliem21
2015 NX 200t - Defective Vaccum Regulator Valve - causing buzzing/humming noise from engine.
Thanks vkliem21 for providing the part number (25819-0W010) from the other thread. This VRV is controlled by the ECM to open and close the wastegate valve. The default position for the WGV is open, which happens when the engine is initially started and during light loads. During heavy loads the WGV closes to create more boost.

I suspect the humming noise is a result of the WGV unable to close completely leaving a small gap, which is similar to the whistle effect, causing the noise. I believe it will cause a bit of power loss as well. The price for this VRV is around $1xx and is located at the back of the engine near the valve cover.
Old 08-11-17, 07:46 AM
vkliem21
Driver School Candidate

Thanks vkliem21 for providing the part number (25819-0W010) from the other thread. This VRV is controlled by the ECM to open and close the wastegate valve. The default position for the WGV is open, which happens when the engine is initially started and during light loads. During heavy loads the WGV closes to create more boost.

I suspect the humming noise is a result of the WGV unable to close completely leaving a small gap, which is similar to the whistle effect, causing the noise. I believe it will cause a bit of power loss as well. The price for this VRV is around $1xx and is located at the back of the engine near the valve cover.
Yep! This is exactly how my tech explained the issue. As mentioned in the other thread, Lexus corporate is aware of the issue with this valve and is currently monitoring the complaints/incidence.
Old 08-11-17, 08:58 AM
1halifax
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I noticed that it sound a little rough sometimes when I pull into the garage. This does not happen all the time.
Old 08-11-17, 01:32 PM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by kent2174
2016 NX FSport, 17 months, 7000 miles, no issues what so ever. Tightest car ever owned, no rattles (except the woofer, fixed license plate with weather strip tape).
Yes some vibration upon start up, when rpms settle down to normal, but once driving, not vibration detected.
Mine is a 2016 FSport, just short of 15 months and 7000 miles. If your's is Nebula Gray, I'm gonna think this is weird!

I have 1 1/2 rattles. The easy one is the woofer, which I fixed the same way kent2174 did. The other rattle is pretty rare, but I'm pretty sure it's the center seat shoulder belt holder in the roof over the back seat. It only happens when I'm on a poor surface, and even then it's unusual. The start up sound isn't pretty, but it's due to the higher RPM for a few seconds, and direct injection rattle. Every DI car I've had (4) rattled obnoxiously at startup.There is a slight vibration at idle after the car warms up and in gear. It feels like the idle is set just a touch high (7 or 800 RPM, as I recall). I notice it occasionally, but don't care. I HATE the exhaust note, but I only hear it at idle when outside the car. It sounds like a Honda. I actually like the engine sound inside the car. Unless I turn on that stupid sound generator. Dumbest thing ever put in a car! I turn it off, and try to forget it's there.

My biggest complaint is the transmission. Apparently I'm the only one that ever notices a hesitation when getting back on the throttle after coasting. Like getting back to the throttle after a slow turn, or after coasting to slow in traffic, then back to the throttle to accelerate back up to speed. It is impossible to drive smoothly, and worse in sport mode. The service guy said "so don't use sport mode, like that's a real solution! They tell me nothing is wrong and it's working as designed, Unless something surprising happens, this will be the reason for a different car at the end of the lease. If this is the way it's intended to drive, I won't be getting another Lexus.

Other than the trans, I really like the car. It handles well for an SUV, and looks great. The seats are comfortable, and I love the lighting. Especially the LED triple headlights and door handles. I can't help it
Old 08-11-17, 04:16 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I almost didn't buy the car because of this problem. However, is it the transmission or the overactive traction control system?
Accelerating out of a turn the car often stalls and lurches as the traction control system cuts fuel or brakes wheels.
The car's always in sport mode.
Old 08-11-17, 06:37 PM
acheuk
Rookie

Originally Posted by Woodrow

My biggest complaint is the transmission. Apparently I'm the only one that ever notices a hesitation when getting back on the throttle after coasting. Like getting back to the throttle after a slow turn, or after coasting to slow in traffic, then back to the throttle to accelerate back up to speed. It is impossible to drive smoothly, and worse in sport mode. The service guy said "so don't use sport mode, like that's a real solution! They tell me nothing is wrong and it's working as designed, Unless something surprising happens, this will be the reason for a different car at the end of the lease. If this is the way it's intended to drive, I won't be getting another Lexus.

Other than the trans, I really like the car. It handles well for an SUV, and looks great. The seats are comfortable, and I love the lighting. Especially the LED triple headlights and door handles. I can't help it
I felt the same when trying to accelerate after coasting. However, mine is a bit different. It felt like the transmission didn't catch onto the next gear and the rpm shot up momentarily. I don't really like it either as I've been driving all manual cars all my life so far, but I have to say it is definitely very smooth. I think a member here complained about that before. The dealer updated the transmission software and it seemed to get rid of the problem.
Old 08-12-17, 10:51 AM
Bdwg22
Driver School Candidate

2 1/2 years old with 22k miles and zero problems it's been solid. My 3 initial dislikes were the torque steer, nav system, and driver's seat bottom left bolster but I've gotten used to them. Being a car guy I've never kept a vehicle more than 2 years, but this one I've decided to hold on to
Old 08-12-17, 05:29 PM
akaido
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also hear rattle on the left side, not sure if its in the rear or front driver seat belt area. I sat in the back while wife drive but just cant pin point it. It sounds like wind noise? Had both the SA and his supervisor sat in the back and they say they can hear it but it is not consistent enough. The rattle only starts when I am going around 45+. The noise occurs on smooth road surface.

Quick Reply: Any problems with your NX so far?