NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Will.i.Am's Custom NX looks... Pretty Cool!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-14, 05:39 PM
John Coyle
CL Editor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will.i.Am's Custom NX looks... Pretty Cool!

Last night, Will.i.Am unveiled his customized Lexus NX F SPORT in Paris. Now, I realize there's not a lot of love for the Black Eyed Peas member on ClubLexus. And when I saw "not a lot of love" I really mean, "fanatical, unadulterated hatred."

But I think his concept looks pretty good! Check out the blog for a bunch of pics! >>
Old 09-25-14, 06:30 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Interesting exercise I guess, but really overdone. IMO.
Old 09-26-14, 04:48 PM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think it's not too bad. maybe its one of those things again where you have to see it in person. quite frankly though there are some things i wish were left out for instance: 1) the stupid icon/logo/badge on the fender and all over the inside cabin, 2) the carbon fiber clothe material on the dash and the rear of the front seats seem a little gimmicky, 3) the front and rear fenders are a nice touch but need to be blended in better with the car, 4) i don't understand why they put those dumba$$ reflectors on the rear fenders. other than that though, if you squint your eyes and look at your computer from five feet away it doesn't look too bad lol
Old 09-26-14, 09:22 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Overall, it works for me

I like many of the elements:
- Blacked out roof, window trim
- CF accents
- Wheel design + size + lower profile tires
- Dropped suspension/reduced wheel gap
- Red calipers
- White with all the contrasting elements works

Elements I'm not too fond of:
- Rear fender square design elements
- Will i Am emblems inside

Last edited by corradoMR2; 09-26-14 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-30-14, 06:16 AM
Nights
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely like the wheel size and design. Suits the NX's character quite well. I feel the NX could definitely do with slightly larger wheels to better fill the arches.
Old 10-17-14, 12:40 AM
8901alex
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

any one knows what kind of wheels those are and size they look much better then the ones that come with the car.....
Old 10-17-14, 08:53 AM
bunka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 8901alex
any one knows what kind of wheels those are and size they look much better then the ones that come with the car.....
Of COURSE hey look better but then again how many of us would be WILLING to sink an ADDITIONAL $5K into wheels ... like they did here for the marketing purposes?
Old 10-17-14, 07:02 PM
Nights
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bunka
Of COURSE hey look better but then again how many of us would be WILLING to sink an ADDITIONAL $5K into wheels ... like they did here for the marketing purposes?
A lot of people wouldn't have any problems with putting 5k into individualising their wheels. That would be pretty cheap actually when comparing to the German rivals. Personally if Lexus made an OEM wheel like that at a 19-20" size, I'd be happy to stump up the cash.

One of my friends wanted to put OEM M5 wheels onto his 535 a while back, and the BMW dealership quoted him 20K AUD for the rims and tires at the usual inflated Australian prices.
Old 10-17-14, 07:43 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

I love it!
Old 10-17-14, 09:49 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nights
A lot of people wouldn't have any problems with putting 5k into individualising their wheels. That would be pretty cheap actually when comparing to the German rivals. Personally if Lexus made an OEM wheel like that at a 19-20" size, I'd be happy to stump up the cash.

One of my friends wanted to put OEM M5 wheels onto his 535 a while back, and the BMW dealership quoted him 20K AUD for the rims and tires at the usual inflated Australian prices.
Yea, I guess I just don't "get" that mentality of sinking 20% additional cost into a vehicle with perfectly good wheels already but then again there ARE people with "stupid" free cash but I don't think you will find many of them riding in a $40K mini-RX as those types are typically riding in $100K Land Rovers that get about 8MPG.

At least with the German rivals, you are talking about people sinking $5K into a $120K car. THAT actually makes sense as it's less than 4% of the vehicle's price. However, I know that there are people that will spend those $'s for shoes for their car and that is why Vossen and others stay in business. There was a time in my life I had bought nice wheels but I think the most I ever spent was $2K on a set for my $38K Acura TL so I may just be too cheap to fully understand it
Old 10-18-14, 01:37 AM
Nights
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bunka
Yea, I guess I just don't "get" that mentality of sinking 20% additional cost into a vehicle with perfectly good wheels already but then again there ARE people with "stupid" free cash but I don't think you will find many of them riding in a $40K mini-RX as those types are typically riding in $100K Land Rovers that get about 8MPG.

At least with the German rivals, you are talking about people sinking $5K into a $120K car. THAT actually makes sense as it's less than 4% of the vehicle's price. However, I know that there are people that will spend those $'s for shoes for their car and that is why Vossen and others stay in business. There was a time in my life I had bought nice wheels but I think the most I ever spent was $2K on a set for my $38K Acura TL so I may just be too cheap to fully understand it
Actually, your %s are a little off - a 5k set of wheels/tires is a little over 10% of the vehicle price (and if you're changing wheels on a 120k - which isn't particularly expensive in Australia - car, you're definitely going to be spending more than 5k on them hence my point above about the 20k rim/tires), but the main thing is no matter the price range of the car, some people are going to want to individualise them, rather than ride stock. Whether its rims, paint, engine mods, exhausts etc. It's not for everyone, but I think diversity is always a good thing.