NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-15, 09:59 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Here's a not so good discovery, hoping it would have been "corrected"compared to the RX. :thumbdown:

Closing the power hatch is a longish 8 seconds and you cannot lock the car until it's closed. You cannot force it closed manually, unless you disable the power feature in the multi-information display.
I wonder if the 8 seconds is a safely measure, to give some extra time for people and things to get out of the way?

I checked on our Q5 and it took 4 seconds. I wonder if these settings can be changed?
Old 01-02-15, 11:22 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

^^^ 4 seconds is fast but I'd take that over 8. The delay becomes an inconvenience when the weather is unfavorable and you're forced to wait so you can lock the car. One can always walk away and seek shelter while the hatch is closing, but you'll need to pull out your fob to lock the car, negating the "hands-free" operation.
Old 01-02-15, 04:25 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Default Manuals etc.

For those new to Lexus, these are the typical manuals you will get. Internally, we call it "The Brick" for fairly obvious reasons
For those familiar with Lexus, what's new is the second thinner pouch one gets.

Material: appears to be identical to the soft and padded "pleather/Nuluxe" on the NX's dash above the glove box

Weight: ~5 lbs
Thickness: 3+ inches
Total Manual Pages: ~1300 (Main Owner's and Nav manuals make up 1000+)

If anyone wants to improve their MPGs, you know what to do...
Attached Thumbnails NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-nx_manuals.jpg   NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-nx_manuals1.jpg  
Old 01-03-15, 10:47 AM
Wagnerian
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^
It looks like Canada and USA offer different set of manuals. I got
1) quick guide
2) owner's manual
3) navigation
4) service and maintenance

Maintenance schedule is in service and maintenance booklet and I did not get accident and repair booklet.

A couple of more things I like about NX
1) Wireless charger. It is really convenient to just place my phone on the plate and it starts charging
2) Heated steering wheel. I did not care for this option but I have to admit it's been quite comforting last few days when the temperature was below freezing.
Old 01-03-15, 11:47 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^ Good to know. The ones in common, I believe they are the same manuals? For instance the Owner's Manual I have makes reference to USA and Canada on certain details that are different.

You read my mind about posting on the wireless charger and heated steering.
Just to add some detail that could be useful...

Wireless Charger: Indeed, very convenient just to place the phone and you're done. My Nokia 830 phone though just fits with a couple mm to spare. So for those that require measurements, here they are:

L: 5 5/8" (142 mm)
W: 3 3/16" (81 mm)

Heated Steering Wheel: Starts to warm up quickly within the first 20 seconds, and fully heated in about a minute. It's a nice "warm mug" feeling. Only negative is the heating surface is limited between the 2-5 and 7-10 positions (bound by the leather seams as per the pic).
Attached Thumbnails NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-nx_charger.jpg   NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-nx_charger1.jpg   NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-nx_heat.jpg  
Old 01-03-15, 06:59 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Regarding the wireless charger - it looks like I will have to special order. I have an iPhone and don't see myself wanting to put a special sleeve on it to make the Qi charger work. Plus I always plug in my phone via USB because that way it is charging and you get full options through the screen regarding playlists etc and voice commands. Do you guys think it would just be wise to forego the wireless charger? I know someone will say "resale" but I don't think it's a deal breaker or anything.
Old 01-03-15, 08:10 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by Husker4the
Regarding the wireless charger - it looks like I will have to special order. I have an iPhone and don't see myself wanting to put a special sleeve on it to make the Qi charger work. Plus I always plug in my phone via USB because that way it is charging and you get full options through the screen regarding playlists etc and voice commands. Do you guys think it would just be wise to forego the wireless charger? I know someone will say "resale" but I don't think it's a deal breaker or anything.
Personally for me, it was not a must have. It came with the package and my phone has built in wireless.

I agree with you - I wouldn't want to add the sleeve to add bulk to my phone just for the slight convenience. I'm also not driving in the NX for hours such that my phone needs charging in the car. I charge 99% of the time at home or at work.
Old 01-04-15, 07:32 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Default Cargo Net and Bumper Protector

In person, very nicely made and practical cargo net that has a "base" which is also used as a pouch when you want to fold up the net for storage.

The bumper protector looks great IMO, plus "protects" from scratching. But looks so nicely polished and refined... what will protect it?
Attached Thumbnails NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-nx_rear1.jpg  
Old 01-04-15, 05:57 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Default Turbo Idle Time Requirements

This has been discussed in another thread but for clarity and centralization in this thread, here's a snapshot from the owner's manual that clearly mentions a cool down period for the Turbo.

LexBob2: As a Q5 and 3-series owner, what's the official (manual's) statement from Audi and BMW regarding this topic for their 2L 4-Turbos?
Attached Thumbnails NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-nx_turbo.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by corradoMR2:
cwonglex (01-08-19), tempestv8 (11-20-18)
Old 01-04-15, 06:12 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

This has been discussed in another thread but for clarity and centralization in this thread, here's a snapshot from the owner's manual that clearly mentions a cool down period for the Turbo.

LexBob2: As a Q5 and 3-series owner, what's the official (manual's) statement from Audi and BMW regarding this topic for their 2L 4-Turbos?
When this subject first came up, I looked in the BMW manual and didn't see any mention of cool down. I haven't looked in the Audi OM but will and will report back.
Old 01-04-15, 06:23 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^ Thanks! Just curious what the competition states.
Old 01-04-15, 06:34 PM
Cycleman6
Driver School Candidate

Default Clock

Has anyone discovered a digital clock? I know we have the analog clock in the center of climate controls but my wife is looking for a digital clock???
Old 01-04-15, 07:25 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

^^^ Thanks! Just curious what the competition states.
Nothing in the Audi's OM about cool down. Not to say it's not in the manuals for either car, but I haven't come across any information. I like to peruse the manuals (exciting, eh?) so I'll keep an eye out for anything.
Old 01-05-15, 04:27 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Still not sure how I feel about this turbo spin down time. I'm wondering, is this because Lexus didn't put a big enough cooling system in teh car? Or is that we need a large aftermarket intercooler?

I've personally never seen a boosted car require that.

However, my father's 7.0L powerstroke diesel requires a spindown time (single turbo), but that is only after towing 10,000+ lbs on highway for a long period of time.

hmmm
Old 01-05-15, 07:09 AM
DenM54
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe I started the other thread asking about the cool down thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...cool-down.html

It just seems crazy to me that Lexus requires this type of cool down on the Turbo. Even the 20 seconds, I know that is not long...but just sitting in the car seems odd.

I do notice, when I get out of the car after driving I hear a winding/whirling noise that continues after the car is turned off. I figured this was the fan cooling down the turbo. Is it something else?

Quick Reply: NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)