Pacific For events in California, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, and Alaska.

Need place to live in socal

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-04, 01:23 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need place to live in socal

I'm moving to SoCal in a week and still need a place to live. I will be working in San Clemente so within 25 minutes of that would be nice. I would prefer to rent a room from the owner of a house, but at this point a condo or large apt. would do. The only thing that I require is that they let a dog live there (I have a 12lb housetrained nice dog). A garage would be very nice, but I'm desperate at this point. Looking to pay $5-$600 a month.
If anyone has anything, please pm me
Thanks,
Tim
Old 05-13-04, 01:49 PM
MrJohnTan
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im curious, what job did you pick up in that area? Must be something real nice to get you to move cross country. Rent in that area generally is more than 5-600, but sometimes you can get lucky. Im looking to live in that area in the near future, but my lease right now doesnt expire till dec. Good luck and hope to see you at the meets!
Old 05-13-04, 04:13 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

www.n-v-t.com

That is where I'll be working.

And I'm on roommates.com, but it's not going as well as I had hoped on there. But, I did find the average rent is about $600 and sometimes that does include utilities.
Old 05-15-04, 02:13 AM
claus44
Driver

hmm, you can stay at my house until you find a place if the following conditions can be met:

1. Your dog is fine with cats. A friend of mine is staying at my place until she finds her next apartment so her 3 cats are here right now.(they are nice and friendly to people, but I don't know how they react to dogs, heck, they are even afraid of rabbits!)

2. You don't mind sleeping on a sofa Can't make the first guest sleep on a sofa especially when it's a girl.

3. If you don't have a problem driving at least 1 hr. to work

4. No more space in the gagrage. My dad's(parents are back in Taiwan right now) beater camry takes 1 spot, mine takes another, and all the stuff that came out of storage takes up the last one.

Of course, if my friend finds a place to stay soon enough, you'll only have to deal with the last 2 until you find a place to live

p.s. Just remembered that our last tenant built a dog cage in the garden. Your dog can stay there if it or the kitties can't stand each other. Just throwing out all possibilities and trying to help

edit: forgot to say that you can stay @ my place for free

Last edited by claus44; 05-15-04 at 02:31 AM.
Old 05-15-04, 10:33 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

TGRich, Here in Socal $500-$600 is just for your Gas for the Lex .........Rent is twice as much as that
Old 05-15-04, 10:55 AM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by claus44
hmm, you can stay at my house until you find a place if the following conditions can be met:

1. Your dog is fine with cats. A friend of mine is staying at my place until she finds her next apartment so her 3 cats are here right now.(they are nice and friendly to people, but I don't know how they react to dogs, heck, they are even afraid of rabbits!)

2. You don't mind sleeping on a sofa Can't make the first guest sleep on a sofa especially when it's a girl.

3. If you don't have a problem driving at least 1 hr. to work

4. No more space in the gagrage. My dad's(parents are back in Taiwan right now) beater camry takes 1 spot, mine takes another, and all the stuff that came out of storage takes up the last one.

Of course, if my friend finds a place to stay soon enough, you'll only have to deal with the last 2 until you find a place to live

p.s. Just remembered that our last tenant built a dog cage in the garden. Your dog can stay there if it or the kitties can't stand each other. Just throwing out all possibilities and trying to help

edit: forgot to say that you can stay @ my place for free
I really appreciate that offer man- very nice of you. I have found one potential place that I'll be looking into further, but I am still open to offers.

lexkost- I know what you mean man, its high dollar. I want a roommate though, so that should bring the cost down. And I have found quite a few places on roommates.com for the price I'm looking for, now it's just a matter of having the clowns reply to messages (probably already filled the room).
Old 05-17-04, 10:06 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Lightbulb

Try a site called "westsiderentals.com". I have had good luck with them. They cover San Clemente and some of the surrounding areas,I think. It cost about $60 bucks to sign up for 3 months, but if you rent a place that isn't listed with them, then you show them a copy of your rental agreement and you get your money back. It's been a couple of years, but that's what I remember. That's how I found the place I live in now. They have listings for apt, roommates, and guest houses. A lot of owners list because it's free for them and I guess they might figure if people are willing to pay out, then they're more serious about finding a place. Good luck.
Old 05-19-04, 01:03 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

You can probably find a room for rent in south Orange County for your range- it will be a smaller, older house, or 1/2 an apartment.

Try San Clemente, Laguna Niguel, Aliso Viejo, Mission Viejo, or perhaps even San Juan Capistrano or Dana Point. (Dana Point will be tough because of its' proximity to the beach, but some of the homes there were purchased 20+ years ago when the property values weren't through the roof- the mortgages people have on them are cheap).

In my city, Aliso Viejo, apartments go from about $1200 (two bedroom) to $2850 (three bedroom penthouse) per month! A 1500 square foot townhouse with a view goes for $600K+ !!!

South OC is not cheap.... but welcome to the 'hood!!!

Last edited by SoCalSC4; 05-19-04 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-19-04, 01:22 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

I found a place! It's in Oceanside. It's a 3/2/2 with a 35 yr old lady as my roommate. She only wants one roomie so thats good. It looks like a nice place, newer too. Rent is $500 a month with all utilities included.
IMO, its a pretty good deal!The only downside is its like 30 mins from my work in san clemente, but that's not too big of a deal. Anyone know how the traffic is between oside and san c?

Only 4 miles from the beach too!

Thanks for everybody's help!

Tim
Old 05-19-04, 07:15 PM
MrJohnTan
Lexus Champion

I live in Carlsbad, right next to Oceanside. I drive up and down to visit my gf in Orange County several times a week. Traffic is not bad at all between san clemente and oside. The only time when there is any traffic is at the border patrol checkpoint and they only have that open once in awhile. The 5 is pretty much straight between those two cities and you can hit speeds up to 100 no prob without any worries. Just watch out for the camaro CHP's who patrol the area near san clemente. As I said previously, I am actually looking into moving to San Clemente and communting down to Carlsbad. The drive is not bad at all.

$500 w/ util. is actually good for Oceanside. I pay $650 in Carlsbad and im 5 min away from the beach.

Good Luck.

Last edited by MrJohnTan; 05-19-04 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-21-04, 02:47 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Lexkost
TGRich, Here in Socal $500-$600 is just for your Gas for the Lex .........Rent is twice as much as that
ha ha, tell him Mike. I've been looking for a place too, but I work in downtown LA and I need to live close because I'm seriously getting tired of the 405 fwy. But I won't pay $1400 a month for a one bedroom either, as that's the going rate in downtown. Heck, I'm considering moving to south central, it's only a few miles further south, and the rent drops drastically. Damn greedy landlords!

But he did say he found a place for $500, congrats! I personally can't do the roommate thing or rent a room...unless I found someone who likes to live as wildly as myself (a single guy staying out until 3 am on a worknight, drinking, smoking, carousing with various women, gambling, all that type of stuff). You guys aren't into that sorta thing are you?

Last edited by mikeloc24; 05-21-04 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-24-04, 09:25 PM
claus44
Driver

Originally posted by TGRich
I found a place! It's in Oceanside. It's a 3/2/2 with a 35 yr old lady as my roommate. She only wants one roomie so thats good. It looks like a nice place, newer too. Rent is $500 a month with all utilities included.
IMO, its a pretty good deal!The only downside is its like 30 mins from my work in san clemente, but that's not too big of a deal. Anyone know how the traffic is between oside and san c?

Only 4 miles from the beach too!

Thanks for everybody's help!

Tim
Congrats!!

Welcome to SoCal