Pacific For events in California, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, and Alaska.

Silkiechic's SC300 Speaker Replacement Adventure!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-06, 03:31 PM
Royicus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silkiechic's SC300 Speaker Replacement Adventure!

A couple of weeks ago, silkiechic and I decided that we'd try to go for a speaker upgrade in her car (SC300 for all of you that forget :P ). Well, we went to some website where it said the fronts were 4" and the back was 6.5." So we went out to cartoys and bought some Infinity Reference series speakers. We weren't going for anything extravagent, just something that would sound better than the muttled speakers that come stock with the car.

Gosh the people that work at car toys are jerks. They all try to pressure you into getting some Focal $800 speakers and crap. In the end I just basically turn my back to them, and silkiechic just looks around aimlessly. They usually leave when we do that :P

So we get the front speakers in no problem. Have to take the door interior apart, but no biggy. But then we get to the back speakers. Hark! They aren't 6.5"! They are actually 4" speakers. Silkiechic and I thought for a bit and decided that we'd try to make them fit. To give credit to all who deserve it, we used this thread to develop ideas: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=109384

In the end, we made them fit, and they sound decent! Here are some pics! You all can hear it at the next car meet that we go to. Not sure when that will be. The car looks 100% stock though. You can't tell that they have been replaced. I wonder if the newer cars will still sound better though. I think Lexus has probably improved their audio since 93.

We had a bit of a hairy moment during the install. You have to take the driver's and front passenger's seatbelt off to get to the rear speakers. Well, in my haste to get the car back together, I actually stripped the bolt that held the seat belt to the frame, as well as the frame! Taking the car to the dealership to get that fixed would likely be in the hundreds of dollars.

Luckily, I was able to fix the frame with an M12 tap, and silkiechic worked her connections to get us a new bolt. So as a bit of advice, if working on your car and putting a bolt into the frame, definately start that thing out by hand. Once you know it is biting, then go ahead and take the wrench to it.
Old 06-25-06, 10:09 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

job well done, you two. Yall are engineering majors, yeah?

By the way, Is that an olympus you're using?
Old 06-26-06, 07:33 AM
silkiechic
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, we're in engineering. Royicus is the one with the EE stuff and I'm trying to work with living systems... ie biology pretending to be engineering

Olympus? I don't get it. They are infinity reference speakers sitting on top of our custom brackets.
Old 06-26-06, 07:53 AM
blk on blk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by silkiechic
Olympus? I don't get it. They are infinity reference speakers sitting on top of our custom brackets.
I think he was talking about the camera...
Old 06-26-06, 06:11 PM
silkiechic
Lead Lap

ah, I get it now. hehe I dunno what the camera was. Royicus would have to answer that one.
Old 06-26-06, 06:45 PM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks good! do you have any pics with the tray and seat back on?
Old 06-26-06, 08:00 PM
silkiechic
Lead Lap

Thanks. Don't have any pics off hand but it looks stock. The normal thing just fit right back over it with like a quarter to a half inch of clearance.
Old 06-27-06, 12:27 AM
Royicus
Driver School Candidate

Yes, as silkiechic said, everything just fit back where it should, so if we were to take a picture, it would look like any other well maintained SC300 out there :P

As for the camera, it is pretty old: Canon PowerShot A75. It is only 3.2MP. The pictures were taken at 2048x1536 and scaled down from there.
Old 06-27-06, 08:50 AM
Splatsc300
Lead Lap

Nice job!