Pacific For events in California, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, and Alaska.

front license plate?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-06, 09:50 PM
ShaiKmai
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front license plate?

Hey do any of you guys know what the deal in washington about the front plates? I took mine off earlier this summer, but got scared and put it back on. is it legal to leave it off?
Old 08-14-06, 10:10 PM
VinnyQH
Lead Lap

well i think it's still illegal, but i traveled up there without a plate and cruised around for essentially a week, and never got bothered with. mostly i think cops pull ricer cars over with no front plates.
Old 08-17-06, 01:48 PM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

Its still illegal however until I bought my IS350 6 months ago, on all previous cars for the past 7+ years I didnt have one. Never got pulled over for it and when I got pulled over for speeding, they didnt care.
Old 08-17-06, 04:32 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

I never get pulled over in the '95 Impala SS(had to specify the year ) and I have no front plate, been like 5 yr too.
Old 09-03-06, 10:16 AM
RedLine78
Driver School Candidate

It's illegal. I drove my S2000 without front plate for 2 years without any problem. Then my TL without front plate lasted for 14 months before I got pulled over in Brier for it. The cop just gave me a warning to put the front plate back on. I think it just depends on the cop. Most cops won't pull you over for not having front plate. Brier cops have nothing better to do... I just leave my front plate on with my IS350 because I don't want to deal with the Brier cops because I use that road a lot...
Old 09-03-06, 10:54 PM
silkiechic
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's illegal, but as I like to talk with my local cops, unless you **** them off, they won't ticket or even bother to pull you over for it. I do have my front plate on though because I'd rather have one less thing to worry about. I mean, they gotta have that extra reflective surface to try to bounce some radar off of you. Headlights aren't enough!
Old 09-05-06, 12:59 AM
Royicus
Driver School Candidate

Actually, that license plate is great for bouncing off laser. Radar could care less :P

As for what the letter of the law is, I was just looking it up. Here it is, the RCW (revised code of Washington) states:

RCW 46.16.240
Attachment of plates to vehicles — Violations enumerated.

The vehicle license number plates shall be attached conspicuously at the front and rear of each vehicle for which the same are issued and in such a manner that they can be plainly seen and read at all times. However, if only one license number plate is legally issued for any vehicle such plate shall be conspicuously attached to the rear of such vehicle. Each vehicle license number plate shall be placed or hung in a horizontal position at a distance of not more than four feet from the ground and shall be kept clean so as to be plainly seen and read at all times. In cases where the body construction of the vehicle is such that compliance with this section is impossible, permission to deviate therefrom may be granted by the state patrol. It shall be unlawful to display upon the front or rear of any vehicle, vehicle license number plate or plates other than those furnished by the director for such vehicle or to display upon any vehicle any vehicle license number plate or plates which have been in any manner changed, altered, disfigured or have become illegible. License plate frames may be used on vehicle license number plates only if the frames do not obscure license tabs or identifying letters or numbers on the plates and the plates can be plainly seen and read at all times. It is unlawful to use any holders, frames, or any materials that in any manner change, alter, or make the vehicle license number plates illegible. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate any vehicle unless there shall be displayed thereon valid vehicle license number plates attached as herein provided.

And there you have it. Yes it is clearly illegal, but nobody really cares. However, a cop shooting laser will notice it since that is what they aim for. They could either just go for your headlights, or they could pull you over and write you a ticket.

Last edited by Royicus; 09-06-06 at 12:14 AM.
Old 09-05-06, 03:02 PM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

Wash coppers are pretty good, I even did an internship with the WSP. By and large good guys. Put it this way, Ive been pulled over in Wash maybe 5 times in my life and have 0 tickets. Ive been pulled over in OR 5 times and have 5 tickets. OR cops are ******, especially to Wash people.
Old 09-06-06, 12:14 AM
Royicus
Driver School Candidate

Eh, that is kind of a generalization, isn't it? I've not been pulled over by WSP, but I've been pulled over by OSP. The trooper knocked a few MPH off the ticket to only 20 over instead of 22 or 23 over, reducing the ticket by over $100. I deserved a ticket that night, so I've got no qualms with that. Also, the trooper didn't make a big deal out of me not being able to show my insurance (silkiechic couldn't find it, even though it was in her hand, lol).
Old 09-06-06, 01:28 AM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

When my car was delivered, I made sure the dealership didn't drill into the front bumper to install the plate mount, because I knew I wasn't going to have one on. It totally kills the clean lines of the front. My previous car that I had for 10 years also didn't have a front plate, and I never received a ticket. I was pulled over for it twice, but both times, I was let go. I have yet to be pulled over in my IS.

What's my secret?

I have my front plate, plate bracket and bolts all in a plastic bag under the seat. Should I ever get pulled over for it, I just tell the officer that the Lexus dealership just ordered the plate mount directly from Japan, and I'm scheduled to have them install it in a few days. I show him the bag of parts, factory-sealed, and then show him the plate. Works like a charm.
Old 09-06-06, 08:05 AM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Reyngel

What's my secret?

I have my front plate, plate bracket and bolts all in a plastic bag under the seat. Should I ever get pulled over for it, I just tell the officer that the Lexus dealership just ordered the plate mount directly from Japan, and I'm scheduled to have them install it in a few days. I show him the bag of parts, factory-sealed, and then show him the plate. Works like a charm.
haha that is pretty damn smart. Why didn't I think of that?
Old 09-06-06, 05:01 PM
Royicus
Driver School Candidate

It is smart until you get pulled over by the same cop. Then you will surely get a ticket, and a ticket for whatever other infraction they can find because I doubt cops like getting lied to
Old 09-06-06, 10:15 PM
RedLine78
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by y2ks2k
Wash coppers are pretty good, I even did an internship with the WSP. By and large good guys. Put it this way, Ive been pulled over in Wash maybe 5 times in my life and have 0 tickets. Ive been pulled over in OR 5 times and have 5 tickets. OR cops are ******, especially to Wash people.
OR cops gave you tickets because they knew you were from out of town and won't contest the tickets in court.

Last edited by RedLine78; 09-06-06 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-07-06, 12:36 AM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Royicus
It is smart until you get pulled over by the same cop. Then you will surely get a ticket, and a ticket for whatever other infraction they can find because I doubt cops like getting lied to
Nah, it's really not that complicated. If, by chance, you get pulled over by the same cop two weeks later, and he happens to remember you for some reason, you just say that the bolts didn't fit, and they're reordering you a new set. You then continue by saying that you'd just install it yourself, but you don't want to void the warranty. If you get nabbed a third time by the same cop, then the cop has a grudge to settle with you, or, there are bigger reasons behind the stop, and you need to reconsider how you drive, heh.