Pacific For events in California, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, and Alaska.

Turbo install help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-07, 05:08 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo install help?

Hey guys I will be turboing my GS within the next 2 months. I was wondering if anyone here had some experience with it. The only things I am really worried about are:

1. Oil pan drilling
2. Beading/Cutting IC piping

Those are the two main things I am going to have trouble with, and I could just use a person to help in general. If anyone feels like they have the time to help a brother out and would like some money or lunch or something please let me know.

Thanks,
Elliott
Old 04-05-07, 07:42 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can help you by pm if you like. I can basically walk you through the whole install. Shoot me a pm with everything you have to put on and I will let you know if there is anything else to watch for.
Old 04-05-07, 07:59 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by macd7919
I can help you by pm if you like. I can basically walk you through the whole install. Shoot me a pm with everything you have to put on and I will let you know if there is anything else to watch for.
I'll definitely be pming you. Haha I still need someone to help me weld and drill!
Old 04-06-07, 09:26 AM
golfkid777
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey man, I have done custom turbo installs on a few cars. I can get you access to a guy that will weld up pretty much anything you need. I am leaving for hawaii tomorrow morning, but ill hit you up on IM in a couple weeks and we can figure something out!
Old 04-06-07, 01:00 PM
golfkid777
Lexus Test Driver

All good advice right there!!! ^^^

Turbos are not something you want to try and do cheap!

Like i said man, Ill hit you up when I get back into town and give you a hand! Ill more than likely be doing FI on my GS3 eventually and would love to get a basic knowledge of the engine before I start digging into mine!
Old 04-06-07, 02:00 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NoS
- For the oil pan try to made the bung connection as low as possible.
Wrong.

You dont want the bung as low as possible in the pan as oil will back up into return. You want the return flowing without resistance, the return line should be as high up on the pan as you can without hitting anything on the inside.

Elliot, pm me and I will walk you through the correct way to tap your pan and approx. where to do it, ttyl man.
Old 04-06-07, 06:40 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Thanks for all the help guys! I'll be pming some of you sometime in the near future.
Old 04-06-07, 08:47 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

well if its a gs3 you already have a spot on the upper oil pan for an oil return line. all you need to do is tap the holes and drill out the center.
Old 04-07-07, 08:34 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by audi2nr
well if its a gs3 you already have a spot on the upper oil pan for an oil return line. all you need to do is tap the holes and drill out the center.
If you use that spot though there is a high probability of shavings dropping into the pan. To completely clean it you would have to drop the pan. On a Gs 300 the pan is blocked by the crossmember so you would need to lift the motor to get it out.

If I was you Elliot, I would follow the pic a couple posts above . When the time comes, pm me for specifics, you can do it safely without metal shavings or dropping the pan
Old 04-07-07, 08:45 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by macd7919
If you use that spot though there is a high probability of shavings dropping into the pan. To completely clean it you would have to drop the pan. On a Gs 300 the pan is blocked by the crossmember so you would need to lift the motor to get it out.

If I was you Elliot, I would follow the pic a couple posts above . When the time comes, pm me for specifics, you can do it safely without metal shavings or dropping the pan
ya which ever. i had my engine out because i did a swap. my engine was from a chaser which is a front sump so i had to change oil pan's. eitherway you still dont want to have the oil return on the lower pan because thats below the oil line and u dont want oil backing up on the turbo

hey whats up nos. well the swap is pretty much done, im just doing all the little bs stuff to make my car daily driveable. i'll be at the next meet so u can see it.
Old 04-08-07, 02:39 AM
DemonIS300
Driver

hey if you need an ultimate emanage, i have one with wire harness, it's brand new in box. well hell, i pretty much have a whole kit without the intercooler piping for sale. PM and tell me what you need and i'll give you a price for it. injectors, the whole shebang
Old 04-10-07, 05:17 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NoS
He could use a magnetite to get the shaving out.
Whats a magnetite? Never heard of it honestly, you arent referring to a magnet are you?
Old 04-11-07, 04:38 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Well I knew the definition of magnetite (thanks wikipedia, lol) but I wanted to make sure you were talking about fishing it out with a magnet and not some new tool I had never heard about, lol...

Btw- That method wont work because the lower oilpan is aluminum.