Pacific For events in California, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, and Alaska.

Is there any problems changing address Wa vehicle renewal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-08 | 05:56 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Is there any problems changing address Wa vehicle renewal?

Is it difficult to change the registration
and go to an area in the state with no emissions testing?

thanks
Ivan
3dog

Last edited by 3dog; 02-21-08 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-21-08 | 05:59 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Default Is it easy to change address to skip emission test in Wa

For Washington residents

Here is the problem I'm having.

I need to get renewal tabs and live in the Seattle area.
This area tests vehicles for emissions

I have an RMM Supercharger on my 1999 GS 400
This last Oct I switched from an Apexi SAFC2 Fuel Management
to an HKS V-Pro.

I went in this week and because the VPro causes the Check Engine Light to come on I thought I would be clever and disconnect the battery just before the test. I figured the CEL might be a problem. This is usually good for about 30 miles before the CEL comes back on.

Well the test aborted and they asked me if I had had any work done where they had to disconnect the battery recently. Of course I said yes.

Well apparently this disconnects the On-Board Diagnostic System.
The vehicle will be rejected until the readiness monitors are set to ready. I called my buddy at Lexus and he told me he did not know at what point the monitors reset but he did say if the CEL is on I will not pass. I asked about taking out the CEL bulb and he said I do not want to mess with that.

From what I see I need to do one of two things. Find a way to get the CEL light off and the Diagnostic system to work or change my address to an area in Washington state that does not require an emissions test. Of the two changing my address sounmds easier.

My brother lives in an area in Wash. where there are no tests and he suggested I register the car where he lives.

This sounds easy enough but will this set off any alarms at the Department of Motor Vehicles?

I'm wondering if trying to pass an emissions test and failing and then moving might look kind of phoney.

Would I need to change my Drivers Lic also?

Someone told me I can just go in tell them my new address and there will be no problem. Could that be true? Is it possible that it will be that simple?

Thanks for any info

Ivan
3dog

Last edited by 3dog; 02-21-08 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-21-08 | 07:26 PM
davidsong
Lead Lap

better yet, pretend to sell your car to ur bro then the address will be changed
and you didnt lie to DMV, and the car is registered in another location while you are "borrowing" / driving it.

dont know if that works, why not give it a try? good luck on passing/changing address
Old 02-21-08 | 08:00 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

I say screw it..get rid of all the emission controls and pollute as much as possible
Old 02-22-08 | 09:29 AM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Yesssssss screw the liberal WA government!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-22-08 | 05:57 PM
NoS
Lexus Champion

It's really easy, I switched counties when I moved to attend school. All you do is need to show proof of residence like an electric bill or something. Tabs too are much cheaper! I still have my parents address on my license too

I did this on my other car, right before I was moving I took the test and failed in Pierce County due to turboness So I registered in the new county, no questions or problems.

Heck I even tried resetting the codes right before the test and no luck lol

You might want to switch your mobile phone bill to your brothers house, then you have a bill with your name on it and the address.

Call the county DMV and double check too on what documents you need for proof, I did that.
Old 02-27-08 | 09:57 AM
JDM_Soarer

Originally Posted by NoS
You might want to switch your mobile phone bill to your brothers house, then you have a bill with your name on it and the address.
Thats a really good idea, especially if you just pay your phone bill online or something and never need to see it.
Old 02-27-08 | 03:35 PM
IS3_FTW
Pole Position

If you pay for insurance. You will have to use that address, so they think your car is there more than 51% of the time. I do that, its way cheaper to insure my car. Now I might need to do that for my loan.