Pacific For events in California, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, and Alaska.

Is this traffic ticket valid

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-08, 07:35 PM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that sucks.
Old 03-06-08, 08:20 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go here

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.16.240

Then google IRLJ 6.2 which seems to be where the monetary penalty is defined as noted on the page in the link.

Good luck
Old 03-06-08, 08:31 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

cops are the ghey...
Old 03-06-08, 08:54 PM
JDM_Soarer

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=1&gl=us

Switching license plates, loan of license or use of another's
(RCW 46.16.240)
$82

Altering or using altered license plates (RCW 46.16.240) $82

Just for compairison

1) Traffic Infractions

Second Degree Negligent Driving $250

Wish I actually knew more about this stuff, like can cops put whatever they want for penalties and its up to you to go get it reduced or is there some limit they work in? At the top of that page they have some legal jargon I don't quite understand.

Last edited by JDM_Soarer; 03-06-08 at 09:15 PM.
Old 03-09-08, 11:36 PM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

man that sucks i got a speeding ticket in a school zone when there was no kids around lol...i still had to pay the ticket when i went to court...they hated on me for driving a lexus lol
Old 03-10-08, 09:12 AM
JDM_Soarer

Ugh me too, back when I was in HS I got one taking my friend back to her HS. It was 2 hours after school got out and there was 2 bike cops sitting in one of the entrances and busted me for going the speed limit but not the "school zone" speed limit. Cops can be so retarded, especially about how they are being hard asses on the front plate thing because of the stupid red light cams.

Originally Posted by Drunkebuda
man that sucks i got a speeding ticket in a school zone when there was no kids around lol...i still had to pay the ticket when i went to court...they hated on me for driving a lexus lol
Old 03-10-08, 04:52 PM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay. Here's a few questions.

a) How long has the vehicle been in Washington State? WA St Law says 30 days from the time the vehicle is purchased to be registered in this state. Have you had possesion of the car for more than 30 days?

b) Signatures are NOT required any more on tickets. How many people do you think sign for their tickets after they run red lights

Here's what you should do. Go get your plate ASAP. Say you did not commit the infraction and take the new registration and plate in to the court. I'm sure it will be dropped, or significantly reduced.

If you try to fight it, and say you didn't do it and have a lawyer present, if you've had the car longer than 30 days the judge will keep the fine.

If you're worried about your insurance going up for something like this, don't be. This is not the type of ticket that your insurance company looks at.

Whatever happens, best of luck to you, hope it gets resolved.
Old 03-10-08, 07:05 PM
kitsune
Pole Position

I would contest it and go to the Law Library in downtown Seattle and research the RCW. Also subpoena the cop to show up to court. I believe they don't get paid to go to court. And present your evidence regarding the incorrect amount of the ticket.

More than likely your ticket will get dropped and will teach the cop a lesson or two in doing his job properly.

Mike
Old 03-10-08, 07:21 PM
IS3_FTW
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jcrome04
If you're worried about your insurance going up for something like this, don't be. This is not the type of ticket that your insurance company looks at.
I was with you, until your last statement. I have 3 tickets since I have owned my car. My insurance has gone up $600 a yr. since then. Not saying that all insurance companies are the same. Just saying that my insurance(progressive) has been raising my rate.

Yeah, harrassment BS. Its the cops that envy peeps in high end cars.
Old 03-10-08, 07:23 PM
IS3_FTW
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kitsune
I would contest it and go to the Law Library in downtown Seattle and research the RCW. Also subpoena the cop to show up to court. I believe they don't get paid to go to court. And present your evidence regarding the incorrect amount of the ticket.

More than likely your ticket will get dropped and will teach the cop a lesson or two in doing his job properly.

Mike
Good point. Just make sure you have a case, before going in. Have an attorney as well. Dont fight the case with proper representation. Civilians dont have the same respect/laws as an attorney.
Old 03-10-08, 11:28 PM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey that was my buddy who posted that, he knows a lot about the law so I let him post something.

I personally think that the cop did his job. Yeah it sucks but in WA state it's the LAW to have a lisence plate on the front of your car.

I got pulled over in my 93 Saturn SC2 for having no front plate because my bracket broke and I needed a new one.

There's no reason to get pissed at the cop for doing his job, he's there to enforce the law.

I'd advise you to get the plates, or if you have it put it on. Get dressed up very nicely and go to court. Tell the judge it just slipped your mind and you forgot to put it on, but it's on now. and ask that the infraction be respectfully dropped.

So, do you not have the plate or did you just not put it on cause it's ugly? Just curious