Pacific For events in California, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, and Alaska.

The Unofficial WA BS thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-10, 09:18 PM
IS3_FTW
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL...you guys crack me up. Thanks for the smile

Anyways, so a couple weeks ago, I got pulled over for having dark tint(14%) and having my front plate on the passenger dash. Its visible through the windshield. So the cop must've been bored, cus I wasnt speeding and driving 20mph in the school zone. The flashy lights were blinking, and I spotted the unmarked Charger across the street. Next thing I know, he is pulling me over.
I have my driver window down, as he approaches my car. The first thing he says to me is, "where is your license plate". I tell him, "its on the dash shoved between the windsheild". He then tells me that my tint is to dark and I need to roll all my windows down half way, I do it. He comes back with this device that is 2 pieces with magnets. He puts one piece on the inside and magnetizes the other piece to the outside. Tells me that my back windshield is at 6% and the others are at 14%. He then tells me that the legal tint is 24%.
I was shocked when he told me that 24% is legal tint now. I didnt tell him, but thought it was 35%. The reason why I didnt say anything, is because I told him that I bought the car this way. He then starts pointing out how low my car is and there are some other things that are illegal. I told him that I am on airbags and raised the car. We talked for a second about it and he went back to his car. Came back and started to give me reasons why the license plate shouldnt be on the dash, but more on the bumper(blah blah blah).
He gave me a $248 ticket. $124 for no plate(Bull****) and $124 for tint below the legal limit of 24% Grrrr. Im fighting this and gonna subpeona him to court. The cop must've been bored to just pull me over for Bull**** like this.

I need help. I need to find someone that has 35% tint so I can take pics of it and compare it to the judge. You cant tell me that with a naked eye, your gonna be able to tell that the tint is below the legal law by me driving by.

2nd I didnt sign the ticket and I know there is an RCW code stating that I need to sign the ticket. Something about me admitting to the infraction by signing the ticket.

3rd thanks for the advice in advance
Old 01-17-10, 04:33 PM
LEXveryG8
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by markeezy
hahah i would let you guys, but i'm with 3 other roommates, two of them that i just met 2 weeks ago. plus it's an apartment through the university, so it's not the biggest apartment lol.

next year though. i'm plannin to rent a house with a couple of my friends (that i know). it'll probably be cool with them.
lol thanks man, it be cool to chill and go snowboardin and stuff.

Originally Posted by sway162
No no no......Deek meant......"Yogi, Matt, Josh and I"
lol

Originally Posted by IS3_FTW

Anyways, so a couple weeks ago, I got pulled over for having dark tint(14%) and having my front plate on the passenger dash. Its visible through the windshield. So the cop must've been bored, cus I wasnt speeding and driving 20mph in the school zone. The flashy lights were blinking, and I spotted the unmarked Charger across the street. Next thing I know, he is pulling me over.
I have my driver window down, as he approaches my car. The first thing he says to me is, "where is your license plate". I tell him, "its on the dash shoved between the windsheild". He then tells me that my tint is to dark and I need to roll all my windows down half way, I do it. He comes back with this device that is 2 pieces with magnets. He puts one piece on the inside and magnetizes the other piece to the outside. Tells me that my back windshield is at 6% and the others are at 14%. He then tells me that the legal tint is 24%.
I was shocked when he told me that 24% is legal tint now. I didnt tell him, but thought it was 35%. The reason why I didnt say anything, is because I told him that I bought the car this way. He then starts pointing out how low my car is and there are some other things that are illegal. I told him that I am on airbags and raised the car. We talked for a second about it and he went back to his car. Came back and started to give me reasons why the license plate shouldnt be on the dash, but more on the bumper(blah blah blah).
He gave me a $248 ticket. $124 for no plate(Bull****) and $124 for tint below the legal limit of 24% Grrrr. Im fighting this and gonna subpeona him to court. The cop must've been bored to just pull me over for Bull**** like this.

I need help. I need to find someone that has 35% tint so I can take pics of it and compare it to the judge. You cant tell me that with a naked eye, your gonna be able to tell that the tint is below the legal law by me driving by.

2nd I didnt sign the ticket and I know there is an RCW code stating that I need to sign the ticket. Something about me admitting to the infraction by signing the ticket.

Dang Deek, sorry to hear about this. That's pretty messed up!
Old 01-17-10, 10:34 PM
benr33tz
Rookie

Just looked and the car has a factory LSD wooo!
Old 01-18-10, 04:13 PM
sway162
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS3_FTW

Deek, I will hit you up this week on this BS^. We can take pics of my car compare to yours. Mine is at 25% and yours just looks slightly darker than mine...no way it can be 14%! That's hella dark. Hit u up later.

Here's RCW on front license plates. It doesn't clearly state that it needed to be mounted on a front bumper. It clearly states that it needs to be clearly visible and not more than 4 ft from the ground.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.16.240

Most of times (depending on the judge) you can get your front plate ticket dismissed if you go to court showing a picture that you mounted the front plate on your car.

I am looking into the tint law right now....

So I guess it's 24% or more for tint. I thought it was 35 too but that's for reflectance. This is from RCW 46.37.430
(a) The maximum level of net film sunscreening to be applied to any window, except the windshield, shall have a total reflectance of thirty-five percent or less, and a light transmission of twenty-four percent or more, where the vehicle is equipped with outside rearview mirrors on both the right and left. Installation of more than a single sheet of film sunscreening material to any window is prohibited.

Check this out:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/Rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.680

I guess it is an infraction.^^ Such BS.

For the tint infraction. You could go to any tint shop and ask for a "tint removal receipt." It will probably be a small fee but then take that to the court and the charges should be dropped. Just don't actually drive your car to the court! =) Have someone take you.

I don't think there's a RCW on not signing an infraction. I know that it might be a misdemeanor if you don't sign the ticket, or they have the right to arrest you. I think it's best that you do admit in court of your infractions....because that is why you got pulled over. So denying this would be pointless and the judge may just laugh at you and make you pay. So, the objective is to persuade the judge that you are aware of your infractions and you didn't intend to break the law and hopefully you could get your tickets reduced or canceled. You could mention that you bought the car with the tint like you said to the officer. Then say that you weren't aware that it was 14% and show your "remove tint receipt" to the judge. Do you have any pics of your car with no tint on it? You could show that pic to the judge as well. Just don't drive your IS to the court!! =)

As for the front plate.....say something like you have seen many vehicles with no front plate or in the windshield and thought it was okay to mount on front windshield because according to RCW 46.16.240 (above^) as long as it's visible it's okay. Also say that you didn't want to drill holes in your bumper and you just put on a new one recently. Or like I said above, just mount the license plate, snap a pic and show it to the judge.

If you have a clean record, it's good to mention that as well. Just saying that you are not trying to break any laws and you apologize...blah blah. Basically sucking up to the judge is good. You should also be in business casual attire.

Last edited by sway162; 01-19-10 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-19-10, 04:03 PM
mkiiisupra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You dont need to sign the ticket anymore, found that out after a ticket by Seward Park. I've got 35%, but I'll tell you right now it DEFINITELY looks different if you know what to look for.
Old 01-19-10, 08:10 PM
IS3_FTW
Pole Position

Thanks JOSH. I always had tint on my car. I guess when I take a pic of the cars front plate, Ill have all the windows down so it shines inside the car hehe

I will be printing some paperwork out for the court hearing. I wont subpeona the cop as it would be 2 against 1. U know, the judge always takes the cops side, even if they are wrong
Old 01-20-10, 03:45 PM
drksyde
Driver

I got a window tint ticket about 2-3 months ago. Supposedly my window tint is 5% but the cop that pulled me over also had a tint meter and it read that I had 3% tint. I was actually thinking in my head "thats cool, i like it darker anyways" lol. either way, im illegal lol. but 2 weeks after i got the ticket the same cop pulled me over and he was like "didn't i pull you over a couple of days ago?" I was like "you sure it was me?" he said "yea, i remember your nos bottle and camera in the car from the last time" and i was like "yea but that was 2 weeks ago" and i forgot the rest...but then he talked to me about the last time he gave me the tint ticket and i was just like "yea, i just paid off the ticket and called it a day" and then he just let me go. There is no moral to this or anything... I just wanted to share lol

But how I see it, we all know that modifying a car in anyway is illegal but we do it anyways knowing the risk... getting a ticket for it shouldn't be that much of a surprise... think of it as a car modifying tax lol.
Old 01-23-10, 12:45 PM
gdot
Lead Lap

I was parallel parked on 1st in Belltown last night and came back to my car to discover someone sideswiped my driver side mirror.
Old 01-23-10, 02:27 PM
markeezy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

anyone know of a shop that can do a transmission fluid flush/refill for a 2002 is300?
Old 01-23-10, 10:57 PM
benr33tz
Rookie

anyone know of a shop that can do a transmission fluid flush/refill for a 2002 is300?
completely flushed ? or drained?
Old 01-24-10, 12:41 AM
markeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by benr33tz
completely flushed ? or drained?
completely flushed.

drain/refill i can do myself

you know of a place?
Old 01-24-10, 12:42 AM
markeezy
Lead Lap

oh yeah, are the acme bowl sunday meets going on anymore?
Old 01-25-10, 09:54 PM
benr33tz
Rookie

Hmm not sure what shops around here have that equipment besides dealerships.. I know a couple toyota dealerships give discounts to pstoc members?? *shrug*
Old 01-25-10, 10:17 PM
markeezy
Lead Lap

which toyota dealerships give discounts? fill me in please
Old 01-25-10, 10:33 PM
benr33tz
Rookie

which toyota dealerships give discounts? fill me in please
hmm searching.. I saw it posted before on there.

Quick Reply: The Unofficial WA BS thread