Pacific For events in California, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, and Alaska.

Anyone in WA with no front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-08, 04:49 PM
JDM_Soarer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?Cite=46.16.240

Here is a link to the law. I also carry it in my car and as far as arguing with the officer about it, it most likely wont help, but in court, where the wording of the law actually matters, I think it could help you a lot. Couple of things to keep in mind:

"The vehicle license number plates shall be attached conspicuously at the front and rear of each vehicle for which the same are issued and in such a manner that they can be plainly seen and read at all times."

Note "front" and "rear" are not defined, neither in this section nor in the RCW definitions section so this is open to interpretation and is arguable.

"Each vehicle license number plate shall be placed or hung in a horizontal position at a distance of not more than four feet from the ground and shall be kept clean so as to be plainly seen and read at all times."

So don't hang it so it can scrape the ground and beware those with ridiculously lifted trucks, if its more then 4 feet off the ground your breaking the law lol, even if its on the stock mounting brackets

"It shall be unlawful to display upon the front or rear of any vehicle, vehicle license number plate or plates other than those furnished by the director for such vehicle.."

This is for the people using those JDM plates and such.