Pacific For events in California, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, and Alaska.

Anybody feeling the effects of this poor economy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-08, 09:06 PM
shonn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea i'm hearing alot of rumors of lay offs here at Boeing. But, we'll just have to see. So far so good, but ya never know.
Old 12-07-08, 05:55 AM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

i think that our country has just gone to ****....compared to things that we should be doing and what we are doing now just is dumb. People who have money saved up will be fine and all and people who will be needing social security in the near later down the line wont even have any. People in the corporate office who are making millions and billions of dollars are not going to stop spending. Its their life style and they dont care jack **** about the people. Its the people that are making them millions of dollars but i think the stand that our government needs to take is not bailing out all these company and just put that money to better use. Bailing out the company only puts the us back in more debt. Like peoples 401k is **** now... Its everyone for themselves right now...this ****ty economy is crap. Us wasting money in the ****ing boonies and we cant even take care of our own country to start out with. I have had close friends and family die for no god damm good reason in the dessert. I think its just Bull ****, i just hope there is change soon.
Old 12-07-08, 07:41 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Change has come!!!!! LOL. Seriously let us wait and see what the new incoming administration can do.

The war in Iraq is HUGE in terms of the current economic mess regardless of whether you are for or against the war.

IMO the sub-prime mess boiled down to a lot of people's greed by wanting something they could not afford (a house BEYOND their income) and spending money on luxuries they should not have been spending using Home equity loans based on their inflated home values. I don't care if somebody is begging me to take a loan. The buck still stops with me on whether I need it and whether I can afford to pay it.

I worked with people who are crying about how they have a hard time making ends meet but refuse not to eat out everyday and have a fishing boat and a big *** SUV to boot.

Last edited by Autobacs; 12-07-08 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-08-08, 10:56 AM
blksc300t
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a state worker and i fear that Lay offs are just around the bend.
Old 12-08-08, 12:08 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IS3_FTW
I work in the commercial side of life.
So am I. Commerical construction and development and we see things slowing down, but thankfully dont seem to be effected by it. Its the kind of work thats been feast or famine for the last few years. We have been very fortunate.

Originally Posted by golfkid777
No, most of what I do is multi family living litigation. $2 million minimum in losses, so insurance companies are usually decently smart and either pay the construction/engineering/architectural/investigative fees as they come in. Or wait until all costs have been incurred and paid by a third party, usually a bank in the form of a short term loan. Dont see a lot of fraud in my line of work.
Mark, do you mitigate the E&O ins. between the Arch/MEP and the Construction company ?

Originally Posted by Autobacs

The war in Iraq is HUGE in terms of the current economic mess regardless of whether you are for or against the war.
Without question. I still cant believe the amount of people that would argue the fact...

Originally Posted by blksc300t
What line of work ? There are still quite a few govt jobs to be had right now. I think mainly due to some of the initatives passed before the economic downfall.

EDIT: Oh and I also think we are fortunate to live in a state that seems to recover from economic hardships faster than most of the country. We were later to see the trouble and faster to recover...I hope this time will be the same.

Last edited by twojayzee; 12-08-08 at 12:12 PM. Reason: add topic
Old 12-08-08, 12:18 PM
golfkid777
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by twojayzee
Mark, do you mitigate the E&O ins. between the Arch/MEP and the Construction company ?
We dont just do one thing, but the main source of our work for the last year since the boss foresaw a slowdown in development and new construction innevitible has been insurance litigation expert witness work. We do work for both sides, no job is ever the same.
Old 12-08-08, 02:49 PM
kitsune
Pole Position

Originally Posted by blksc300t
I hear that the DSHS has laid off a few employees due to state budget. Glad that my dad had retired from working for the state back in July.

Originally Posted by shonn
Yea i'm hearing alot of rumors of lay offs here at Boeing. But, we'll just have to see. So far so good, but ya never know.
Shonn, Boeing is laying off IDS side of Boeing. I haven't heard of anything on the BCA side.

I really hope that Boeing doesn't touch the BCA side because I really don't want to lose my job either.

Lets all pray.

Mike
Old 12-08-08, 03:32 PM
blksc300t
Pole Position

[QUOTE=kitsune;4068036]I hear that the DSHS has laid off a few employees due to state budget. Glad that my dad had retired from working for the state back in July.

yes DSHS is getting hit hard. I work for the Department of Health. The position that i am in is kind of safe. Anything is possible in the long run.
Old 12-09-08, 01:08 AM
aharvin
Driver School Candidate

Im glad so many of you had a great bit of constructive input to add to this thread. I hope for alot of you that your near futures serve to be better than mine and that your job security doesn't fail. Im hoping to find a job within the week and hope to be a bit more conservative when it comes to investments or non-investment spending lol... good luck to you guys at boeing it always seems to be right around the corner for you guys. Im also glad to hear it hasnt effected some of you guys. Appreciate what all of you have lol... we do all have a lexus in the driveway... i want a ULed LS430...
Old 12-10-08, 08:44 AM
maying856
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually dont feel them at all, if anything I gained from it. Cheaper gas, constant sales at favorite stores, forclosure of homes (I do real estate).
Old 12-15-08, 03:45 PM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

it affected me last year. i tried looking for other jobs but no luck so i just went back to the military. cuz i already had 4 years and got out. ever since im glad i got back in, i dont have to worry bout getting laid off again unless i do something really stupid like drugs or commit some type of crime.
Old 12-16-08, 02:01 AM
maying856
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by metalgear
it affected me last year. i tried looking for other jobs but no luck so i just went back to the military. cuz i already had 4 years and got out. ever since im glad i got back in, i dont have to worry bout getting laid off again unless i do something really stupid like drugs or commit some type of crime.
What branch?
Old 12-16-08, 09:35 AM
blksc300t
Pole Position

Keep your heads up everybody!