Pacific For events in California, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, and Alaska.

Smart phone gurus... I need help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-09, 01:27 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Smart phone gurus... I need help.

I am switching over from Verizon (THANK GOD!) to AT&T in a week or so and I was just wondering which smart phone (except Crapberries) you would recommend. So far I am thinking about the Blackjack 2 and the 3G iPhone, but after my multiple ipod experiences, it's looking a bit on the grim side for Apple... I want to keep it under $200 because it will most likely be broken within 4 months due to portable electronic anger issues (do they make meds for this problem yet?!) or carelessness... My first Treo decided to go surfing with me in Hawaii and then my second felt it was necessary to fall out of my pocket and take a nap under my car tire... Back on track! Which of those two do you think is the better candidate for my love and why? Any input/personal experiences would be much appreciated! Thanks everyone
Old 03-08-09, 01:33 AM
markeezy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

first off, don't get a full touchscreen phone. at least the LG VU. it sucks *****.

i've tried the iphone. it's cool, but again, if you text a lot, i wouldn't recommend a full touchscreen phone.

i recently went to the AT&T store, and i saw the Samsung Epix. its the best of both worlds since it has a full qwerty keyboard, but it still a touchscreen also. not too bulky either. i think it's a really cool phone. it's basically a blackjack 2 with touchscreen.

as far as the price, from what i remember, it's $199 with a 2year plan.

i usually go to cnet for reviews:
http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/...-33351203.html

Last edited by markeezy; 03-08-09 at 01:39 AM.
Old 03-08-09, 01:42 AM
Sarg
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on if you like to push real buttons or touchscreen ones....I hate the touch screen buttons because you really have to be sure about what you're typing out, they have a greater tendency to break....the screen is thin to allow the touch technology....I had a smart phone....screen broke 3 times before I got a Blackberry....with Verizon...lol...I don't know what people don't like about it....best phone I've ever had....Verizon is rated #1 in consumer reports....AT&T is on the very low side....especially customer service.
Old 03-08-09, 03:02 AM
markeezy
Lead Lap

the thing about blackberry's is that if you get one, unless you sign up for the additional blackberry service, you won't be using the whole potential of the phone.

i've never had any problems with AT&T/cingular customer service. i've been with them for 5 years now. i've had numerous phones over the years, i think about 5-6. all i got to say is that if you're looking for durability, sony ericsson is out of this world. i used to drop, throw, abuse my w810i, z520i and w600i, they still worked afterwards. i actually still have all 3 of them.

then, i was rockin' the htc 8525 smart phone for a couple of months. it was an AWESOME phone, especially since it has wifi capabilities, full internet explorer window, touchscreen+full slide out keyboard, etc. but the only con was it was too bulky.

i sold the 8525 for an unlocked tmobile (htc) shadow smartphone. best phone i've ever owned. the texting was great, and it was a nice overall phone (looks, functionality, size). it had WM9.

had the pantech duo smart phone for a couple of months. i thought it was pretty cool since has both regular keypad and full qwerty keyboard. because i had too many phones, and i wanted new rims

now i have the LG Vu. it sucks. don't get it. it's slow, it smears, it feels cheap, and i hate full touchscreen. worst phone ever. i'd rather have a razr.

i've used a palm centro and blackjack 2. i like them both since its easy to text with. also a blackberry pearl and curve. they're texter friendly also.

Last edited by markeezy; 03-08-09 at 03:30 AM.
Old 03-08-09, 03:27 AM
is300chris
Lead Lap

to bad your not going with tmobile because ive heard really good things about the g1, and i have the wing which is also good.
Old 03-08-09, 03:31 AM
markeezy
Lead Lap

yup, i agree with chris. a have a handful of friends with the G1, and it looks pretty sweet.
Old 03-08-09, 04:05 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

95% of the people I talk to absolutely loathe Verizon with every inch of their body and switch to AT&T. Everyone I know with AT&T says nothing but good things about them. My buddy's mom, who is a real estate agent, switched from T-Mobil to Verizon and within 2 months switched to AT&T because Verizon wouldn't put calls through or deliver messages. Because of Verizon she figures she lost 2 different home sales and just got fed up with them. I get dropped calls almost every time, texts take about 4-6 times to send and sometimes it sends them all over and over again, texts sometime come days late, and voicemails are placed all out of order. Whenever I call Verizon to ask them about it, they proceed to tell me I need a new phone............ Give me a break! I tell them I had JUST bought a new phone for this very reason, they blame it on my roaming update....... I tell them I did that as well, get put on hold and 2/3 times get forgotten. Verizon is horrible and those reviews are probably employees getting paid to go on there haha. Sorry to rant...

Well it sounds like the Blackjack 2 suits me the best because I do like being able to feel the keypad when I text. The iphone was kind of a random thought because it looks kinda cool, but apple products have proven themselves to be garbage to me... Including the laptops

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I'm just gonna see what kinda deals I can work with AT&T.
Old 03-08-09, 04:18 AM
markeezy
Lead Lap

^make sure to look at the sumsung epix, the one i mentioned. the blackjack 2 is kinda outdated. since you're gonna get a new phone, might as well get a phone that just came out.
Old 03-08-09, 04:47 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by markeezy
^make sure to look at the sumsung epix, the one i mentioned. the blackjack 2 is kinda outdated. since you're gonna get a new phone, might as well get a phone that just came out.
I actually did play with that one in the store today and liked it, but I was sort of in the same boat with the iphone as far as price and my lack of care goes Although the Blackjack 2 is a little bit dated, you can't beat the price, ESPECIALLY since it will most likely be in pieces sooner or later Maybe if I can get them for a somewhat similar price... Doubt they will swing that way though. I have mixed feelings about the touch screen ever since I had a Treo, but maybe it will grow on me a bit!

Again, I appreciate all the speedy help you guys have given I just get so worried about these kinda things because all these years Verizon has been misleading and I always ended up buying pure JUNK with them (8 phones since 2005). No more bucking my futt for you Verizon!
Old 03-08-09, 11:53 AM
gdot
Lead Lap

My friend had a blackjack II and hated it. It would freeze up all the time, reset itself randomly, lose all of his ringtones, etc... I have an iphone myself and I love it, but I also don't text/email a lot. If you do text/email or are hard on your phones, the blackberry bold is a good choice.
Old 03-08-09, 01:38 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gdot
My friend had a blackjack II and hated it. It would freeze up all the time, reset itself randomly, lose all of his ringtones, etc... I have an iphone myself and I love it, but I also don't text/email a lot. If you do text/email or are hard on your phones, the blackberry bold is a good choice.
That's weird because I've heard the exact opposite about the two. Everyone I've asked with the Blackjack 1 and 2 always say it's the best phone they've ever owned and can withstand a beating (which is what I need). My friend who owned the 3G iphone just text me back this morning saying she sold it because she couldn't stand the thing... I know there are a lot of different experiences with these things out there, but from the sound of it the Blackjack suits me best. Which iphone do you have?
Old 03-08-09, 06:06 PM
gdot
Lead Lap

i don't doubt the blackjack 2 can take a beating. my buddy kept trying to break his and it just kept on going. it's a good phone, but windows mobile gets really annoying.

currently, I have the original 8gb iphone. before that i had a pantech duo and before that i had a blackjack 1. when i had the duo, I had a ipod touch at the same time. by far, the iphone is my favorite of all three, but my usage is mostly browsing and apps. browsing and lack of apps on the other two phones sucked. i figure if i'm paying for the data plan, i should be able to use it.

i should say that i talk less than 450 minutes a month, text less than 200 times a month and send a few emails a day. if i used more of the phone features or emailed more, i'd definitely get a blackberry bold.
Old 03-09-09, 08:03 PM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

okay coming from a phone guru. DONT get any of them phone listed period. I work for att. Black jack is crap. Iphone is cool but no insurnce for you being hard on the phone. I recommend waiting a little bit for a new cool nokia. Its a nokia n71x. BEST smart phone i have played with in a while. I would give up my blackberry bold and my iphone 3g for this bad boy. Its running simband and its by far a great phone period. It has a 3.2 mega pixel camera with a 6 action shot photo frame if you want to take action shot. It has 4 diffrent photo options.

The neat and cool thing about this phone is text to speech. It will read text to you when you are driving and it will also take your speech for text input. I was playing with this phone all day long today. I dont know when it will hit att stores but i know soon. There is also a new phone called the Pantech Matrix PRO and its going to also be releasing pretty soon. Its like the pantech matrix with duo slide functions but runs WM. I have the phone now because i won it as a contest before it hit the stores shelves and i really like it. It has changed and stepped up from the pantech DUO which was a POS. I will keep you posted on that phone. Wait it out a bit since the blackjack 2 sucks and the epix is okay. Coming from a person who works for att. ATT is by far one of the best in customer service. The rating is just dumb because of Iphone rules about no buying without contracts and having to buy at 399 and 499 if you break it and still have to renew the contract to 24 months because its never sold without contracts. Any more questions let me know. I have multiple smart phones.
Old 03-09-09, 10:38 PM
LEXveryG8
Lexus Champion

I agree with drunkebuda about nokia phones. I have owned several nokia n-series and so far the n95 is one have used is by far really good. But, recently I was in the market for a new phone again and really wanted the n97 badly but it's not out yet. So I decided to go with the Sony Ericsson Xperia X1. I recently bought it, and boy is it good. It's got windows mobile 6.1 the newest on the market, and the whole thing is made out of metal !!! I actually like the windows mobile over the symbian OS. Just don't get those blackjack or treo because you'll regret it after getting it. Any smart phones from nokia or sony ericsson won't disappoint you.
Old 03-09-09, 10:55 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

The Nokia sounds pretty badass. I looked it up and the retail price is a bit high I'm not going to get the data plan for it right away because I'm currently not working and an extra $30 a month doesn't sound too nice... The guy at ATT told me I could buy the Blackjack 2 for like $175 with the family plan and not have to do the data package right away... So would the Nokia go for less as well? Because I know the retail on the BLackjack 2 isn't just $175. I want the phone now because I will eventually be doing the data plan and I looked at the normal texting phones through ATT and they seem pretty lame. Thanks for the input!

Quick Reply: Smart phone gurus... I need help.