Pacific For events in California, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, and Alaska.

Looking to move to Seattle or Bellevue, looking for locals input

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-11, 05:10 PM
fleishelja
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking to move to Seattle or Bellevue, looking for locals input

Im looking for life adventure number 2. Im from Atlanta and have these wild hairs to go live a random place every once in a while. The first time was Chicago. It was fun but the whole state was hideous. Now since Im 25 and figured, not getting any younger Id try out the Pacific Northwest. Ive only been to Seattle once when I was younger so I really don't know much about the areas. I guess my main questions are:

-Wintertime? How bad is it and how long is it?

-What are the bad areas of Seattle/Bellevue?

-I'm a Lexus Master Tech of 5 years, will it be hard to find a job?

-Whats the deal with emmissions? and is gas really really expensive?

-Is the cost of living astronomically high?

-any other random things a total Washington state nube should know

thanks!
Old 08-05-11, 12:11 AM
All4sho350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) winter is short

6) You have to drive with a front license plate(required) or ticketed/harrassed
Old 08-05-11, 04:43 AM
fleishelja
Lead Lap

thanks for the input! I don't mind the front plate that much. I doubt I'll be modding my car when I'm up there anyway. anybody else?
Old 08-05-11, 07:22 AM
sway162
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fleishelja
Im looking for life adventure number 2. Im from Atlanta and have these wild hairs to go live a random place every once in a while. The first time was Chicago. It was fun but the whole state was hideous. Now since Im 25 and figured, not getting any younger Id try out the Pacific Northwest. Ive only been to Seattle once when I was younger so I really don't know much about the areas. I guess my main questions are:

-any other random things a total Washington state nube should know

thanks!
Winter here is nothing like Chicago. It's like thanksgiving through end of April. Summer though doesn't really start til after July 4th. This year didn't start till last week! lol

I am not too familiar with the bad areas in Seattle because I live 45 minutes south where cost of living is much cheaper. =) I know that Seattle roads are crap compare to south sound and gas is at least 10-20 cents more in Seattle area. Housing is like 20% more. Seattle is the place to live though for a newcomer because the job market is actually doing very well here compare to other major cities in the US.

Emissions is a bunch of crap...but basically it's every 2 years your car has to go through this. http://www.ecy.wa.gov/pubs/94br08.pdf

Gas has been going down a lil bit but I am paying $3.90 down here it's probably a lil above $4 for premium in the Seattle/Bellevue area.

The Pacific Northwest overall is a great place to live......if you like the outdoors there is so much to do. If you ski or board...its like 60 min to snoqualmie for some quick runs. The ocean beaches 2-3 hours away. The night life is fun. Food here is the best. =) Only thing I wish is of having more sunny days but when its sunny this is the best place to be imo.

Last edited by sway162; 08-05-11 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-05-11, 07:39 AM
fleishelja
Lead Lap

Well I think I could handle another 4 months of winter haha. Especially in a good town thats prepared for it. Im definitely going to have a car with some nice comfy OEM suspension. I figured I would be taking lots of hiking trips and long drives while im there. Gas seems to be about the same then compared to GA. right now were paying about 3.90 for premium. thanks alot for the info! all my stuff is already for sale on CL lol. I cant wait for next spring!!
Old 08-05-11, 07:49 AM
sway162
Lexus Champion

Right on bro! What kind of car are you picking up? The northwest is filled with great hiking spots. We have some of the best views. Winter is not bad at all we get a few inches a year in the metro area. Its just rain and low 40s for a few months.
Old 08-05-11, 08:03 AM
fleishelja
Lead Lap

I was looking to trade for an IS300 or a G35 sedan. if I cant do that then I was just going to trade my corbeaus for some minty stock seats and my suspension and wheels for stock stuff. if your winter is only low 40s and rain then its better than atlanta lol. we get into the teens here for about 3 months and then it stays in the 20s for about another 2
Old 08-05-11, 08:13 AM
sway162
Lexus Champion

Damn, yeah we don't hit the teens much at all but it happens occasionally for a couple days or so. It can get 20s over night but then again not for a long period of time.

We have quite of few is300s and g35s out here....so hopefully that works out! I vote for a IS300. =)
Old 08-05-11, 08:29 AM
fleishelja
Lead Lap

Id rather have an IS300 too but g35s are so comfortable it would be nice for the long trips
Old 08-05-11, 09:22 AM
sway162
Lexus Champion

True^

There's a lot of G35s on the road here in the Seattle area....see them everywhere! lol If you get one....gotta mod it and stand out! haha
Old 08-05-11, 09:50 AM
fleishelja
Lead Lap

haha, Id probably just use it as a beater car while im up that way. my plan is to live there for 2-3 years then try another place and keep moving across the country
Old 08-06-11, 09:35 AM
KuyaPatz
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

haha, Id probably just use it as a beater car while im up that way. my plan is to live there for 2-3 years then try another place and keep moving across the country
Careful. You might fall in love with Seattle
Old 08-06-11, 03:21 PM
fleishelja
Lead Lap

thats what everyone keeps telling me, Im really excited to get this move underway. sucks that its going to be about 4 months before I actually start the 5 day drive
Old 08-07-11, 12:43 AM
c-low
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KuyaPatz
Careful. You might fall in love with Seattle

fall in love with seattle?? only a sick minded person would say such a thing lol =P
Old 08-07-11, 07:18 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Im looking for life adventure number 2. Im from Atlanta and have these wild hairs to go live a random place every once in a while. The first time was Chicago. It was fun but the whole state was hideous. Now since Im 25 and figured, not getting any younger Id try out the Pacific Northwest. Ive only been to Seattle once when I was younger so I really don't know much about the areas.

Seattle is unlike anyplace in the nation really. Ive been to Chicago a lot, I have a place in Buckhead (Atlanta for those that dont know) that I rent out...Many friends and Fam there. I also have a place in Bellevue (for sale) and Seattle.

I prefer Seattle because I hate going over the bridge from Bellevue...plus they're about to make it a toll bridge.

We have mild winters. NOTHING like Chicago or cold as the ATL....people freak out over 4-5" of snow! LoL!!

Chicago and atlanta get cold as $#!^ in the winter. We have 4 seasons here...all are mild. You'll see people drop the top in 75 weather...because 90 is rare...and no heat/humidity mixes that are found in GA / Fla...

it rains here a lot but its not like the rain in ATL. We sprinkle you to death over time...not a flash tsunami with 4" of rain in an hour like Ga. LoL!!!

not too hot / not too cold

uh, you live in Atlanta (and have lived in Chi) we have no ghetto's that could come close to comparing with bad areas in those places. You'd laugh at what people call "A bad area" up here.

Automotive and medical are still thriving in the bad economy. You'll find a job being a master Lex tech.

yup, fuel is expensive here...period.

seattle and bellevue have strict emissions but they dont care about swaps,RHD, carb tags or any other type of modding...as long as u have a functioning CAT and dont smoke/stink up the block and disturb the scenery

If you move to some counties, there are no emissions tests at all.

yup! Bellevue is higher than seattle. I'd live in an Atlanta mansion for the price I just paid for my last small / older seattle home...and its a "fixer"

However, Wages are higher than the ATL by a long shot.

any other random things a total Washington state nube should know
-Its cleaner here...lots of water / trees and people generally give a freak about the way things look.

-nightlife doesnt compare to where you're from...its just a different vibe up here. Pretty laid back and chill...we have nice spots tho.

- Snow boarding, Jet ski, hiking & Biking trails,fishing, ATV (gonna buy one soon) trails.

-We love our sports teams

- random DriftGirl sightings are always a plus

-Food...i was gonna say its a tie between ATL and Seattle. I like the southern foods a bit more but the variety is amazing in the PNW. So many cultures are embraced here.

-People generally get along well. Racism (exists ) but its not like when u leave the city limits of ATL!! LoL!! There is a very nice mix of people here that live and work together

-High taxes...because our politicians think everyone has 100k jobs...or seem to think we should pay more because we can see a few mountains or sumthin.

-We have nicer moded cars than ATL and Chi.

-Seattle police=not cool. The DOJ will straighten that out shortly tho.

- If you find the right job, it will be hard to leave...

Ive been all over the world...but always seem to make my way back to the PNW

Gotta love the EMERALD City

Quick Reply: Looking to move to Seattle or Bellevue, looking for locals input