Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

New SC 2JZ-GTE

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-03, 10:30 PM
Tommyd1919
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TURBOSCLEX- Who did the swap for you? Did you have it one or did you do it yourself?
Old 11-03-03, 04:04 PM
TurboSCLex
Driver School Candidate

Tommyd1919,

I did it myself over the summer. It took a total of 8 weeks for the conversion and onther couple weeks to get the bugs out. Most of my parts and help came from my close friends at Modern American Sports Cars. Let me know I you need to know anything else.

Bests,
Adriel
Old 11-09-03, 03:07 PM
dmora
Rookie

Originally posted by TurboSCLex
Well I guess you all want to know my mods, here they are:

Greedy 3-row FMIC, flex-dual lite fans, Apexi SAFC and AVCR, Greedy BCC, turbos are stock for now, RMM 3" downpipe, Fluidyne radiator, aluminum Fidanza non-turbo flyweel (aprox 11 lbs), Custom Spec Clutch.....holds aprox 550-650 ft-lbs of torque ( very touchy and hard to drive), and a tiny stainless steel Blitz air cleaner that definately does not give 400+ rwhp worth of air ( need to change soon).
There are other stuff like gauges, rims, stereo but whatever.
I 'll post pictures as soon as I give her a bath, so dirty after I finished her...lol. Later guys I'll keep in touch and thanks for all your input.
Bests,
Adriel
The intake and exhaust might account for ~20rwhp. But nothing significant, unless the exhaust is a really curvy and thin one. The key components for gaining power on a BPU Supra setup are, open exhaust, tuned fuel via fuel computer and an FMIC. Do you have a Getrag? Or is it the stock 5sp? You shouldnt need such a twitchy clutch for a BPU setup. A nice smooth single disk and stock flywheel would be fine. No chatter and easy engagement.

Originally posted by tggoodrich
How are those dual electrics cooling for ya? I have mine on my na motor and they do fine, but what about the higher heat of the turboed engine?
The electric fans will never flow as good as the stock fan. If you dont live in a warm/hot climate or dont do a lot of driving/racing, then they should be fine. If not, stick with the stock fan.
Old 11-09-03, 05:46 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by dmora

The electric fans will never flow as good as the stock fan. If you dont live in a warm/hot climate or dont do a lot of driving/racing, then they should be fine. If not, stick with the stock fan.

I am sick of people telling me this. I live on OKC, OK where it gets to 100+ for a couple of weeks over the summer and have not had a single problem. Maybe they don't flow as well, but I have never seen my temp guage over the half way mark, so there is nothing to worry about.
Old 11-09-03, 07:10 PM
dmora
Rookie

Originally posted by tggoodrich

I am sick of people telling me this. I live on OKC, OK where it gets to 100+ for a couple of weeks over the summer and have not had a single problem. Maybe they don't flow as well, but I have never seen my temp guage over the half way mark, so there is nothing to worry about.
electric fans do not flow as much as the stock fan. its simple fact.
they may be good enough, but they should be used with a note of caution.

i also just read that you are using an NA motor. NA's run inherently cooler than a turbo charged engine.

Last edited by dmora; 11-09-03 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-10-03, 05:46 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts

the supra guys seam to be returning to the
old school k&n - funny i never stopped?
(im running a 9" on a 4" inlet dia)
as far as the clutch goes - a solid flywheel
on a 6 speed box gets LOUDER as
it becomes broken in
i love that sound - like a heavy rod knock
@ idle / add in the howl of a big external
on 12v - pep think its a p.o.s. till the light turns
- you'll get use to it / its all practice
- why would you route the wastegate back
into the exhaust?
Old 11-12-03, 11:53 AM
bmsport
Lead Lap

TurboSCLex, where in Florida are you located? I'm in melbourne, mid east coast. Are you planning on going to the lexus meet on dec 7th or maybe the toyota meet at racerock this weekend. Nice to see another full swap like mine.