Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

New SC 2JZ-GTE

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-03, 06:24 PM
TurboSCLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New SC 2JZ-GTE

Ok, so I found out that I did not blow a headgasket I just had falty thermostat. So least but not leat I am producing 386.2 rwhp and 420.2 rw-torque. The hp is a little low I know considering I am pushing about 18 psi of boost. The tunner told me that there are two items that I need inorder to get into the 400's and thats a better air filter and a larger catback exhaust. The air filter is so tiny its almost cute. It was temporary blitz that a friend gave me till I get a new one that would flow 400hp worth of air. The catback exhasut is a 2.25'' maybe 2.5'' y from a RMM 3'' downpipe, ending at a pair of Dynamax turbo mufflers. "Can you say restriction." I think that the exhaust will be changed to RMM catback and I have no idea on what air cleaner I should use (Blitz SUS, HKS, Greedy...What do you guys think). Regardless, This car is now absolutely AWESOME! The only problem right now is the chattering clutch and flywheel combo. I hope that after I break it in it will cease, the annoying embarassing on/off clutch screach.

Let me know what you guys think, especially the air cleaner stuff.

Happy Boosting,
Adriel
Old 10-29-03, 07:55 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There was a post on supraforums.com on filter comparison. I think the hks was rated the worst for letting the most dirt in.

I found the link.

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

Last edited by aliga; 10-29-03 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-29-03, 08:43 PM
TurboB6
Lead Lap

As far as exhuast goes I'm running a GReddy MX catback (3" to dual 65mm pipes i believe) with a 3" PHR downpipe. Your not doing bad for power though. I've put down 390rwhp and 436ft/tq when I first finished the car.
Old 10-29-03, 09:30 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Man I need turbo... well, need a new engine first, lol ME WANTS TO GO FAST!!
Old 10-29-03, 09:58 PM
whiteSc3
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats 2jzgte and sc go together very well. Please give a list of mods and any pics if you have them.
Old 10-29-03, 11:50 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: New SC 2JZ-GTE

Originally posted by TurboSCLex
what you guys think, especially the air cleaner stuff.
Is there some reason you would not do the BFI for this engine? That would slam air up to your filter.

Forgot to ask, US 2jz-gte or JDM? Your mods?

Last edited by SCoupe; 10-30-03 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-30-03, 07:50 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by aliga
There was a post on supraforums.com on filter comparison. I think the hks was rated the worst for letting the most dirt in.

I found the link.

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/
Further more the particles of the filter foam brake loose and go into your engine. HKS is a horrible filter. I belive Apexi was first and K&N was second.

Chris
Old 10-30-03, 03:34 PM
JDMJim
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default clutch chatter problem?

I wouldn't call a little clutch chatter a problem.......really. That is just the nature of a performance clutch , no big deal!

Jimmy
Old 10-30-03, 04:01 PM
moua4c
Driver School Candidate

hey, are you guys putting down these numbers on stock HG ?
Old 10-30-03, 04:43 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

sorry to say turbosc, the chatter doesn't get better lol. my friends supra rattles like a truck, it sounds really bad but that's how it is if you want preformance i guess.
Old 10-30-03, 09:28 PM
quikturbo
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by moua4c
hey, are you guys putting down these numbers on stock HG ?
It looks like he has a GTE swap, the stock tt hg will take lots and lots of power.

People usually lower compression by either stacking or installing a thicker head gaskets on the na block.
Old 10-31-03, 03:16 AM
marlew
Driver School Candidate

Default 2jzgte

Turbosclex.
Well done mate a very good engine choice.
What turboes are you running(stock)??
if so replace the cast Manifold between the turbos with a set on dump pipes
start off with 2" until thay are under the turboes facing towards the back of car ,then expand the diameter to 21/2" and run a complete twin 21/2" system all the way and out the back this will be good for around 25-30hp
The waste gate and the exhaust should be seperated for at least 10" then rejoined into the exhaust pipe.
This acts as a ventury and will suck the gases out when the waste gate is opened .
also it will not interfer with the flow straight out of the turbo.
I had a set on mine and the results were 20hp just from fitting the dumps (into the standard exhaust )
Then I replaced the exhaust single 3" all the way through and achieved another 12 hp.
I since have gone to twin GT28 Garretts and have had to change the whole system again but **** happens ..
I now have 330hp and thats out of a 1jzgte .
Also if you can get your hands on a 1gzgte head grab it as quick as possible and fit that on (power port it first) Match up the 2jz intake manifold (match port it).
And watch what happens to your hp then with a set of 550cc injectors and the tuning gear you need .You will putting out around 450hp upwards
The 1jzgte head bolts straight on the 2jzgte block and thay are better heads (flowing ability) .
Cheers mate
Have fun
Lew
Old 10-31-03, 04:14 PM
TurboSCLex
Driver School Candidate

Well I guess you all want to know my mods, here they are:

Greedy 3-row FMIC, flex-dual lite fans, Apexi SAFC and AVCR, Greedy BCC, turbos are stock for now, RMM 3" downpipe, Fluidyne radiator, aluminum Fidanza non-turbo flyweel (aprox 11 lbs), Custom Spec Clutch.....holds aprox 550-650 ft-lbs of torque ( very touchy and hard to drive), and a tiny stainless steel Blitz air cleaner that definately does not give 400+ rwhp worth of air ( need to change soon).
There are other stuff like gauges, rims, stereo but whatever.

I 'll post pictures as soon as I give her a bath, so dirty after I finished her...lol. Later guys I'll keep in touch and thanks for all your input.

Bests,
Adriel
Old 10-31-03, 08:21 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How are those dual electrics cooling for ya? I have mine on my na motor and they do fine, but what about the higher heat of the turboed engine?
Old 11-01-03, 03:43 AM
whiteSc3
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How are those dual electrics cooling for ya? I have mine on my na motor and they do fine, but what about the higher heat of the turboed engine?
Flexalite dual's worked great on my car with stock auto rad., and even kept cool with a leaking HG.

Quick Reply: New SC 2JZ-GTE