Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SoCal Sc400 Exhaust Options

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-23, 02:26 PM
socal400
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default SoCal Sc400 Exhaust Options

Evidently I live in southern California where doing most things to your car is not appreciated. With that being said, I'd love to do some exhaust work to my 93 sc4 but I am struggling with what method to pursue as I'm both under a little bit of a budget and daily this car. Is the resonator delete (the ones by the muffler) a good option? How badly does it drone? Same question for straight pipes (no res delete). I'm trying to keep it quiet enough to be tolerable but loud enough to have some fun. I know there's an exhaust thread but didn't find any super useful information. Let me know what you guys recommend. Thanks!!
The following users liked this post:
CurtK (05-13-23)
Old 05-13-23, 03:55 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

As a former CA resident (who bought and operated his SC in California) normally for an SC400 I would also suggest the resonator delete just behind the mufflers but with the new exhaust noise laws in CA it might be wise to not do that since replacement mid exhaust pipes for SC400's are not all that easy to come by these days should you need them again (of course if you can locate an identical OEM midpipe with the stock resonators intact to have as a backup then go for that option if you wish to).

I would suggest instead focusing on an axle-back exhaust and keeping/storing your OEM mufflers should they ever need to be refitted again (they last near forever as long as they aren't rusted).

One good option is the Manzo/M2 dual axle back muffler set (they may be available as copies now on ebay) which sound good on both the I6 and V8 SC's. Borla did or still does make a nice axle back set that sounds good on SC400's specifically. Then there are also those from more popular Japanese brands such as Tanabe.

The main thing in CA is that you should always keep a good condition unmodified full exhaust system set aside in case for whatever reason the car needs to be set back to stock.

Without a heavily custom modified 1UZ with forced induction the main thing you will gain here is a nice difference in sound anyway, so even just focusing on a nice set of axle-back bolt on mufflers can make a significant change in that department. There are many examples on youtube of what different bolt-on axle backs sound like with the 1UZ-FE engine. Microphone quality does vary but you should be able to get a fairly good idea of what each one sounds like.

I recommend the Manzo/M2 style mufflers because they sort of don't have as much of a "look at me, I'm modified!" look to them and they also aren't TOO loud. And I believe they are still well under the decibel limit for car exhaust systems in CA. And they sound great on both the I6 and V8 engines.

I ran a set of Manzo/M2 axle backs on my SC300 in California with the rest of the exhaust system being stock for many years. I never had legal troubles with them and I loved the sound improvement. I only recently removed them years later but still have them and might switch back eventually.

It is large can style mufflers that will give you MUCH higher loudness and probably some droning. Those would have the higher probability of attracting police attention in CA.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 05-13-23 at 03:58 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by KahnBB6:
Kira X (05-13-23), RudysSC (05-15-23), socal400 (05-13-23)
Old 05-13-23, 07:17 PM
CurtK
8th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default SoCal Exhaust ...SC400

The laws here in California keep getting stricter and what may have been OK just a few years ago , may cause a No Pass at the required smog tests now .
Last year my Smog Technician rolled a large mirror under my 1995 SC400 to check for ANY exhaust mods. And then just about looked at every part under the hood , before starting the engine ,
SI be careful; if you do anything to that stock system , be sure to keep the original parts , marked KEEP !
The following 4 users liked this post by CurtK:
KahnBB6 (05-14-23), RudysSC (05-15-23), socal400 (05-13-23), wellsolong (05-16-23)
Old 05-13-23, 09:30 PM
socal400
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll be on the lookout for those! Thank you!!
The following users liked this post:
RudysSC (05-15-23)
Old 05-16-23, 10:46 AM
wellsolong
Driver

Received 67 Likes on 30 Posts

I've been eyeing the Tanabe axle-back myself. I'm gonna look into Manzo now as well.