Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 Water pump and Crankshaft seal leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-23, 10:34 AM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

Received 141 Likes on 110 Posts
Default SC400 Water pump and Crankshaft seal leaking?

Question:
I've had my SC on ramps for about 6 months trying to remove this high-pressure hose to no avail. Yes, I did lay there for a few minutes staring into the twilight zone in defeat. I don't have any leaks coming from the front of the engine, and like I've said, I've laid there looking in that general direction, been doing this for a few weeks, have been hitting that bolt with PB blaster and no luck. I gave in and took the SC to the shop, so that they could remove the hose and install a Drift Motion hose. After their inspection they said they weren't doing the job, because the power steering pump, high-pressure hose and steering rack were leaking. They additionally pointed out that it was leaking from the front crankshaft and water pump. I never told them I had it up on ramps, just told them it was groaning, and they could hear it. The front is caked with power steering fluid, and I did replace my radiator right before I parked it with power steering groan, so assuming there is some residue from the coolant at the bottom which made them think it was leaking, but I didn't see anything crystalized down there. For the record I did replace my 07 Tundra's water pump and you could tell when it was leaking.

After all my complaining how could I tell these 2 are leaking, if I don't see any evidence about it? I tried looking up the service history of my SC, but Toyota has updated their servers and my maintenance history is gone... I have a print out, but it's lost among my many moves.
Any input will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.