Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Power steering leaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-23, 03:43 PM
avrg4Slow
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering leaking

New owner of a 1993 SC400. Just picked it up a little over a month ago. The previous owner told me that the power steering was leaking so he drained all the fluid out. I picked up a power steering pump from a pick and pull off of a 93 SC400. I bought a rebuild kit from autozone and followed the LexLS power steering pump rebuild guide. Reinstalled the rebuilt pump and everything seemed to be fine. No leaks to my knowledge until I got under the car the other day for other reasons and saw power steering fluid dripping from the pump and the alternator. I sprayed everything down with some brake clean in the general region, took it for a quick spin and put it back on ramps to find that it’s still leaking. Does anyone have any idea where else the fluid could be coming from? I did not change the crush washers on the banjo bolt. Maybe I need a new power steering hose all together? Any answers or advice will be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-11-23, 03:51 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,929 Likes on 2,467 Posts

Probably need at least one power steering line. Watch carefully to see if the line leaks where the hard portion meets the flexible one.
Old 06-12-23, 06:40 AM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

Received 140 Likes on 109 Posts

It's more than likely the high-pressure hose... I have the same issue, but the original bolt is seized in mine, so I'm working a new angle. I do have the front caked with oil since it leaks out between the flexible and hardline part of the power steering hose, it does spray all over the place. . The pump may be leaking, or while using brake clean is clearing off some of the residue left behind from the previous leak that was probably baked into the block making it appear as a new leak?
Old 06-12-23, 10:12 AM
GAsc300
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice job on the rebuild. Sorry leak still there after that work.

just gotta find the leak or leak sources now

if alternator wet then likely coming from top down, so that’s good clue

can get leaks from bottom of power steering reservoir as well as high and low pressure lines

Clean areas and then start car and turn wheel a few times. Leak in high pressure line will probably be really clear when turning wheel, especially if you can be looking at lines while wheel being turned by another person.

low pressure line leaks are likely more slow drips. Start by looking at sections where the rubber hoses join the metal lines as this rubber gets brittle and cracks and leaks. Oreilly auto parts usually has power steering or fuel line hose in this diameter that most stores have in stock and sell by foot. But Make sure you get hose type you want from these places as I’ve been given windshield fluid hose when asking for fuel line rated hose. Get some new high quality hose clamps too when repairing sections of low pressure lines.

goog luck and let us know what eventually works

GAsc300