Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Battery light at high RPM

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-23, 01:25 PM
Ldepaso
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Question Battery light at high RPM

Hi all, recently i started noticing that the Battery light on my dash comes on when i go over 2000 RPM and turns off as the RPM drops. alternator was replaced less than 8 months ago. any idea what the reason could be? also the light comes on intermittently when i turn on the the engine and goes away after 30 sec or so but this happens only sometimes.
Old 06-16-23, 07:38 AM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

Received 138 Likes on 108 Posts

I would have it checked at a local auto parts store or take it back to the mechanic that replaced it or contact the place you purchased it from. Some places have a year long warranty on the part and some parts are faulty out of the box so try your luck there. 2nd, does your power steering pump leak? That may be your culprit in damaging your alternator.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tallyhoe:
Ldepaso (06-19-23), RudysSC (06-16-23)
Old 06-17-23, 07:03 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Received 327 Likes on 253 Posts

Good morning Tally,
Good thoughts except if he has a 300 the alternator is on the right side and will not get the power steering drip which is on the left side.
Tally keep up the good work, we need you.
Bill
Old 06-17-23, 10:21 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 189 Posts

On the 300's, the distributor o-ring will leak and run down right into the alternator. VVT-I doesn't have this problem nearly as bad unless valve cover seals are shot; but those kind of leak all over.

The lights should come on when cranking, and go away once the car is started. I'm also curious about your grounds, or if there is a damaged/cut wire going from your battery harness under the motor to the alternator.

One thing you could do is go to any parts store (NAPA, O'Reillys etc) and have them test your battery/alternator in the parking lot and bring the RPM's up to see if your having an intermittent charge issue, or overcharge issue.
The following users liked this post:
Ldepaso (06-19-23)
Old 06-18-23, 06:08 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Good morning Joe and Tally,
Have just read Joe's correction of my comment about the dripping of oil on the right side onto the alternator. In my defense let me make a couple of statements and bare in mind I am not trying to start an argument I am too old for that. I come from playing with older BMW's which I have seven at this time. I came to this Club when I bought my 300 somewhere around five years ago with no Lexus experience at all other than knowing I love the car and had wanted one since they first came out. With that said let us move on. I have tried to read all the questions and statements that come out daily from the Club and have learned a lot about my car and the 400's. In my time I do not remember anyone writing in about their alternator being ruined by a leaking "O" ring on a distributor on a 300. There may have been a bunch but I just missed them. I did see articles about replacing the "O" ring.
Leaks occur where there is the most pressure. I don't know but it seems to me that the power steering pump with its load would be putting out a lot more pressure than the oil pump ( on an average). Please explain to me where I am wrong, I am a big boy and I can take it.
Good luck to both of you,
Bill
Old 06-19-23, 07:08 PM
Ldepaso
Driver

Thank you all for the replies. Few things i forgot to mention, when I replaced the alternator , I also got my power steering replaced because old one was leaking on the alternator so I replaced both the alternator and the power steering even though I was not having any issues with my alternator at the time. Just did it as a preventative maintenance. I think first thing I will check is to see if I have a bad battery or alternator. I will get back with the results on those tests. Let me know if y’all have any other suggestions or things that I missed on my question description. Thanks again. I have always been able to get an answer for my question on this forum and been able to apply all the suggested fix at a 100% rate success. Thank all for all you do!!
Bimmerbill (06-19-23)
Old 06-22-23, 01:58 AM
Kxdza
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ldepaso
Hi all, recently i started noticing that the Battery light on my dash comes on when i go over 2000 RPM and turns off as the RPM drops. alternator was replaced less than 8 months ago. any idea what the reason could be? also the light comes on intermittently when i turn on the the engine and goes away after 30 sec or so but this happens only sometimes.
Check the battery and make sure it’s outputting 12vs aswell as the alternator which should put out about 13-15vs depending on how good the one you bought is. I saw that you had the power steering pump replaced but still check if there’s a leak. If so you need a new alternator. I replaced mine and it started leaking a few months later. Might just be my bad luck but the rebuilt pump I bought was faulty(if you got the rebuilt pump like me cough up the extra dollars and just get a new one lol). Could be the same case.
Take care and good luck.

Last edited by Kxdza; 06-22-23 at 02:03 AM.
Ldepaso (06-22-23)
Old 06-22-23, 07:24 AM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bimmerbill
Good morning Joe and Tally,
Have just read Joe's correction of my comment about the dripping of oil on the right side onto the alternator. In my defense let me make a couple of statements and bare in mind I am not trying to start an argument I am too old for that. I come from playing with older BMW's which I have seven at this time. I came to this Club when I bought my 300 somewhere around five years ago with no Lexus experience at all other than knowing I love the car and had wanted one since they first came out. With that said let us move on. I have tried to read all the questions and statements that come out daily from the Club and have learned a lot about my car and the 400's. In my time I do not remember anyone writing in about their alternator being ruined by a leaking "O" ring on a distributor on a 300. There may have been a bunch but I just missed them. I did see articles about replacing the "O" ring.
Leaks occur where there is the most pressure. I don't know but it seems to me that the power steering pump with its load would be putting out a lot more pressure than the oil pump ( on an average). Please explain to me where I am wrong, I am a big boy and I can take it.
Good luck to both of you,
Bill
Hey Bill,
First of all I took a SWAG (swinging wild *** guess), lol. Since I didn't see his introduction thread, additionally I made an *** out of my self, by assuming it was a 400. Once I read it was a 300 I withdrew myself from the conversation as it was out of my realm of knowledge. I'm no expert on either platform, just applying some life experience with Toyotas and snags and problems I've encountered and been reading on this site.
Old 06-22-23, 09:08 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Tally,
NO ONE MADE A REAR OUT OF THEIR SELVES. So no feeling guilty, You were just trying to help. Get it out of your mind and do like I have for the last few years
read and learn. You can always ask questions. I bought a OEM shop manual and a OEM parts book. You would not believe how many times I have been in those books. They are very expensive now and I probably would not buy with todays prices. Just as an example I bought the parts book out of England for $50.00 and the shop manuals were in that same range.
Tally you are a good person . I ran two plants for Reynolds Aluminum, in Memphis and here in Mobile. I would hire you sight unseen today if I was not retired and in that same management position. The plants don't exist any more since Reynolds sold our division and then was bought out themselves, But I still receive my retirement check monthly.
Best of luck to you in your future endeavors,
Bill
Tallyhoe (06-22-23)
Old 06-22-23, 11:13 AM
Ldepaso
Driver

Originally Posted by Tallyhoe
Hey Bill,
First of all I took a SWAG (swinging wild *** guess), lol. Since I didn't see his introduction thread, additionally I made an *** out of my self, by assuming it was a 400. Once I read it was a 300 I withdrew myself from the conversation as it was out of my realm of knowledge. I'm no expert on either platform, just applying some life experience with Toyotas and snags and problems I've encountered and been reading on this site.
sorry for causing confusion guys its actually a 400!!
Tallyhoe (06-23-23)
Old 06-23-23, 06:26 AM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ldepaso
sorry for causing confusion guys its actually a 400!!
No worries man, I don't take things personally, I just took a leap of faith and I was wrong. lol...
The following 2 users liked this post by Tallyhoe:
Bimmerbill (06-23-23), Ldepaso (06-24-23)