Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

New PS worked at first and now not as easy to turn.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-23, 11:14 AM
Billy305
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Default New PS worked at first and now not as easy to turn.

I had a dead power steering pump on my 95 SC300 and there was 0 assist and turning the wheel was very difficult when I first got it. I bought a new toyota pump a while back and installed it with a new DM high pressure hose. I bled the system and everything was working perfectly... I could basically turn the wheels with 1 finder. After a few hundred miles I see that it seems to be harder to turn the wheels. Not nearly as bad as when the old pump was dead, but surely not as easy at first. I do notice now that it seems to make an whiiring or noise off and on as the belt spins that it didnt make at first.

The fluid is still at the correct level and I dont see any leaks. Is it possible for there to be a clog or something past the high pressure hose that might be starving the pump or messing with something else? Any ideas?
Old 06-30-23, 10:02 AM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

Received 140 Likes on 109 Posts

Did you clean the filter in the reservoir? All aftermarket replacement parts state, you must clean the filter or any damage to parts and any warranty will be voided. I'm not saying that this is the problem, but you can probably start there looking for any debris caught up in there and starving the pump of lubrication.
Old 06-30-23, 10:42 AM
xaviuhr
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Billy305
I had a dead power steering pump on my 95 SC300 and there was 0 assist and turning the wheel was very difficult when I first got it. I bought a new toyota pump a while back and installed it with a new DM high pressure hose. I bled the system and everything was working perfectly... I could basically turn the wheels with 1 finder. After a few hundred miles I see that it seems to be harder to turn the wheels. Not nearly as bad as when the old pump was dead, but surely not as easy at first. I do notice now that it seems to make an whiiring or noise off and on as the belt spins that it didnt make at first.

The fluid is still at the correct level and I dont see any leaks. Is it possible for there to be a clog or something past the high pressure hose that might be starving the pump or messing with something else? Any ideas?
I have a 400 but im not sure if this has it on the 300’s but is there a vac hose going into the intake from the end of the high pressure line? For mine when I did the DM ps hose the feel of it felt a lot more heavier even with the new pump. I put the old high pressure hose back and the vac into the intake and the vac helped a lot. The problem with the DM one is that it doesnt have the fitting for the vacuum. and if it were clogged and starving you would hear it immediately

Old 06-30-23, 03:54 PM
Billy305
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Tallyhoe
Did you clean the filter in the reservoir? All aftermarket replacement parts state, you must clean the filter or any damage to parts and any warranty will be voided. I'm not saying that this is the problem, but you can probably start there looking for any debris caught up in there and starving the pump of lubrication.
I installed a brand new reservoir from a TT supra as im running a GTE swap