Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2JZ NA-T lean afr and no start

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-23, 01:22 PM
SimbaSC300
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2JZ NA-T lean afr and no start

Anyone have a clue what would randomly cause no start and lean air fuel ratios, I drove the car last night with no problems parked it out front and left it over night, tried to start it this morning, and it would only crank over, so I went ahead and loaded the new tune revision my tuner sent me for startups since the car would sometimes die on cold starts, the car cranks over and hardly starts but is idling with ~19ish afr even though my fuel tables were never touched just startup fueling. I drive the car with a high afr around neighborhood and it doesn't drop so I pull back to my house, I reflash back the original tune hoping it would run right and start with the engine now warm, it hardly starts but also has a high afr which car never had before. I went ahead and sent a log over to my tuner which he is currently taking a look at but hasnt been able to pinpoint anything yet. I did replace the pcv valve the night before it had issues but I can't imagine the new pcv valve is causing issues. The car is making fuel pressure so I'm not concerned with a failing pump, and everything as far as fueling goes is brand new parts. I'm running an ecumaster emu black with pnp patch harness, car never had afr issues before this and ran smoothly just around 14.7. My thought is that the iacv failed but my tuner said that likely isnt the issue from seeing the log. As of right now the car will only start on the revised startup tune from a cold start and takes about 6 seconds of cranking over until it sputters to life then once it smooths out it idles at a low 750 rpm instead of the usual 900 rpm at 19 afr. Any idea where to start as far as diagnosing goes?
Old 08-03-23, 05:20 AM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

Received 141 Likes on 110 Posts

It sounds like a fueling issue. If it's running lean, consider checking the fuel filter. Maybe even the Oxygen sensor as the ECU uses feedback from that sensor to add more fuel or not.
Old 08-14-23, 07:28 PM
SimbaSC300
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My tuner ended up taking the car back in and it turned out that the wiring into injector 5 somehow broke down and the wires were shorting out, thank you 90's wiring harness