Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1gz-fe??

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-03, 07:52 PM
1JZGTEVVTi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1gz-fe??

Hey, I'm a new member to the forums and I don't have a Lexus, but I do know a lot about cars,engines and the whole bit. Please flame me if youd like because this is an incredibly stupid idea. Toyota had their luxury sedan out in Japan known as the Century. Now it came with a V12, the 1GZ-FE. I was wondering if, since the Soarer's (SC's) came with I6's, would there be anyway, even if it meant placing the engine in a mid engine setup, would it be almost feasible to place this engine in this car. That is if you could find one...

Flame away...
Old 11-04-03, 08:59 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Relax, people here are generally quite civil

Anyhow, the 1GZ has come up here on CL occasionally(usually in threads about rumors for a V-12 in the next generation of the LS sedan). I'd love to find out more about this engine, too (physical dimensions as opposed to the "U" series V8's, true HP, and TQ numbers--it's always listed as 280HP due to the Japanese "gentlemen's agreement" regarding advertised HP). Tried Googling 1GZ-FE but couldn't come up with anything useful in English. I have a feeling others will advocate a massively boosted inline-6 as the way to get massive power out of an SC, but the V12 would put it in the league with the classic V12 tourers from BMW (850Ci), Jag (forgot the designation), and M-B (CL600, and all of its past designations).
Old 11-05-03, 12:06 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

We don't tollerate Flames very much around here, something to remember

The idea of the 12 seems intriguing except you will find most people on Club Lexus don't even like the v-8, much less a v-12. The majority of people here prefer the I6 for all the potential it has for turbo's so if anything, you will find most won't agree to the idea simply because they can't TT it easily
Old 11-05-03, 01:26 PM
1JZGTEVVTi
Driver School Candidate

It's all good. Usually I enjoy I6's more anyway. Hence my name. But, I love all motors of every shape and size, and besides being in a heavy super sedan such as the Century, I was wondering If the 1GZ-FE would be of any use in any other Toyota. I also figured it would be stock, and I was going to see if, say, a 1JZ or any other GE I6 head would bolt in with little modification. On the flames, it is good that they are not tolerated. I never flame and I'm very used to seeing it on other message boards.
Old 11-05-03, 04:07 PM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

there was a thread a while back about it being able to fit in the front of the SC. It is a fairly large front end. Check the search and see what comes up.

Kevin
Old 11-06-03, 08:52 AM
1JZGTEVVTi
Driver School Candidate

Alright, I checked the thread with the swap from about a year ago, and now i definately want to do this swap. Does anyone, say Odd-Ball SC300, know where I can pick up a Century clip, I'm probably gonna do less than what he was talking about, but I'm pretty sure that this would be an awesome swap.
Old 11-07-03, 11:22 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

well, you are definately going to have to import it most likely. So do web searches for JDM sites overseas and you'll find something.

Also, I don't know if he can help, but ask member acleansc4 (tony) if he knows any hookups or ask Emerald.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 11-07-03 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-08-03, 04:20 PM
lspower
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont like the v8? i love my 1uz so..... ever been to lextreme.com? hmm.....tons of people love the 1uz....so i dont know where u got that ?

lata
Old 11-08-03, 05:11 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might try one of the places that sell used Japanese engines, and ask them to throw in a V-12 the next time they load a container with the usual four cylinders.
I can remember buying twin cam, dual carb Toyota engines back in the eighties,for $300 and they usually had at least one strange, non-US engine sitting around. Nissan made some V-8s for their limos, looked just like a total copy of a Ford smallblock to me.
Old 11-08-03, 07:27 PM
1JZGTEVVTi
Driver School Candidate

Yea, the grand old Y40 block out of the Nissan President. That's the V8 you are talking about. There have been several discussions on Hybrid Z about this engine. It is almost identical to the Ford block of that era. Anyway, I'm probably gonna see if JARCO can quote me on a clip. I hope the clip won't be to awful expensive. I plan to do a 1JZ 240Z, so the SC wold be next in line. I'm also gonna look into doing a 6-speed swap to the V12. Now I'm probably gonna have to pay out hand and foot, but in the end it should be well worth it. Now I have to find out if a GE head would bolt in with little effort, since the FE head is nice, but in a sense of massive power, I'd proably go with a GE head. If I can't find one to fit, I'll stick with the FE head, which is still an awesome head design, actually better than the GE, but it can't hold the power.