Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Coolant leak Deep inside the drivetrain

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-23, 11:22 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 507 Likes on 301 Posts
Default Coolant leak Deep inside the drivetrain

I wouldn't be surprised if there are some of you that already know what the problem is

Had a coolant leak while the car was parked, in my driveway where the engine and transmission connect
Took it to a local shop so they could put it on a lift

The verdict was a coolant plug in the back of the engine failed and to replace it the trans would have to separate from the engine so they could get at it.
It was a bigger job than they wanted to do.

Any advice on the best way to handle this. I still need to get it repaired, would like to know the best fix for it. Thanks

So this is the 1st driveline repair or really any other repair I make since I had it. Even here the car did me right. Just did a 700 plus hard miles to the the Grand Canyon North Rim. It got me home before it broke, broke the day after, sitting in my driveway.
Joe

ps; North Rim may be even more spectacular then the regular South Rim entrance. I'll be posting photos
Old 09-22-23, 10:46 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Has this coolant leak happened to anybody?
Old 09-22-23, 11:27 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,031 Likes on 2,546 Posts

I've only seen this once was due to salt build up which caused rust and eventual failure. If the diagnosis is correct then you'll be pulling the engine what choice is there?
Old 09-23-23, 09:34 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I've only seen this once was due to salt build up which caused rust and eventual failure. If the diagnosis is correct then you'll be pulling the engine what choice is there?
Thank you for the reply, the car has always been a west, southwest driven car. Don't think salt would be a problem here. I wonder if dropping the trans to get to the leak would be possible, easier and less expensive. I would be hesitant to pull the engine
Old 09-23-23, 09:54 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Dropping only the transmission is relatively easy on your car but it still comes with its own challenges. If a freeze plug is indeed leaking what is the plan to fix it? I'd really like to know why it leaked.
The following users liked this post:
Barbary (09-28-23)
Old 09-24-23, 11:43 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Fingers crossed / hope it's something else, but the cars been a daily driver for 30 yrs, has over 300,000 miles and I've driven it long and hard, so stuff happens. The 1UZ has reached legendary status as one of the best V8's ever, I think the best, not really concerned about the engine. The 1st shop suggested replace all 3 plugs. I'd probably park the car then to pull the engine and all the mess that goes with that.
Will find out tomorrow. Will post
Old 09-25-23, 10:39 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,206 Likes on 835 Posts

I'd definitely get a quick second opinion before letting anyone pull the engine and/or trans out. I don't know if I've ever seen a coolant plug leak in all my years working on cars, buuuuut.... That certainly doesn't mean it can't happen!
Barbary (09-28-23)
Old 09-25-23, 07:00 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Yeh thanks Rudy, I'm definitely going to check it out thoroughly. The leak is coming from between the trans and motor.
But no one is going to pull the engine out. I'll go as far as dropping the trans to get to the engine, but thats it.
I'll park the car before they pull its heart out.
Old 09-26-23, 09:23 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,206 Likes on 835 Posts

Let us know what comes of it Joe! Cars get old, leaks happen, and it certainly wouldn't be the end of the world to pull the trans and/or motor if totally necessary.
Old 09-26-23, 10:52 AM
wellsolong
Driver

Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts

Will definitely be following this thread for updates, hope all goes well Barbary.

P.S. I will have to make the drive out there from SoCal sometime, I've actually never been to the Grand Canyon before!
Barbary (09-28-23)
Old 09-27-23, 11:03 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Thanks guys. Got a date for an inspection, specifically the coolant leak next monday. It's not gushing out of the car but it's there. Anxious to see what the deal is. Will post results, Again thanks.
wellsolong: this is for you (and everyone else)

Took this pic on the 13th of this month. This is actually on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Grand Canyon is as good as they say. Well worth a visit
Lived in downtown SF and the Bay Area for many years, now I live around the 4 Corners. Have traveled all over the west with the Bullet for 20 yrs taking photos like this
Take care, hope you make it up here some day
I'll be posting more of the trip in my build

RudysSC (09-28-23)
Old 09-28-23, 08:39 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Took the car out a couple of times. Today on a longer trip (not that long). Got back, didn't spot any coolant on the ground under the back of the engine, but it was making making an under pressure noise and steam was coming out from the top front of the motor. The problem may be nothing more then a worn out thermostat 🤷‍♂️ Hoping that. Other wise it ran real well.

I guess the biggest problem I have up here is, you can't just go down the street to a Best Buy or, Meineki and get something done. I have a thermostat now I have to get it installed. (life of an expatriate) ha ha

Old 09-28-23, 09:02 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Please only use a Toyota thermostat there is no substitute. I've tried them all they all suck.
The following 2 users liked this post by LeX2K:
Barbary (09-28-23), Bimmerbill (09-29-23)
Old 09-28-23, 10:59 PM
Barbary
Instructor

^^
Thanks
Old 09-29-23, 03:55 PM
wellsolong
Driver

Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts

Awesome photo @Barbary, looks like a classic American painting. Happy driving!
Barbary (09-30-23)

Quick Reply: Coolant leak Deep inside the drivetrain