Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

'92 SC300 Smoking from intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-23, 03:06 PM
brainlesss
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '92 SC300 Smoking from intake manifold

Hello all, I'm new here so I don't know if there's any customs or traditions that I need to follow or respect, but I'll try to be as descriptive as possible while explaining my problem, although I'm not too sure how much these things relate to the main problem.
Recently, me and my buddy replaced the timing belt, timing belt tensioner, water pump, and cam and crank seals.

We finished with the job a couple of days ago (or so we thought), and we drove it about 2 miles before the oil pressure light came on. I shut it off, started it back up, drove it across the street to were my buddy was and parked it.
I started it back up a bit later and noticed that we forgot to secure the upper radiator hose clamp and that we forgot to put the PCV valve hose entirely so it was vomiting all its coolant and oil out. We towed it back and figured out the problem, next day my buddy was driving it and temp started spiking again, and we noticed that the LOWER radiator hose was also missing a hose clamp. I know, I know, we're ((((brainless)))) but the car was fighting us through the whole repair so we were trying to finish it and skipped a few steps in our desperation to get it back up.

I got the hose clamp on and started it again, and it was idling fine, started it later and the engine started squealing, took the crossover intake off and it sounded like it was coming from inside the engine, and it started smoking, didnt have a smell, and it was white smoke. It won't stay running and on the last start a larger than before amount of smoke was coming out of the engine.

Again, neither me nor my friend know if any of the previous ****ups have anything to do with this new problem, but I figured having the most information would help in diagnosing the problem.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer, cheers.
Old 10-14-23, 03:12 PM
brainlesss
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New problem, the engine won't turn over. Gonna compression test it tonight and report back
Old 10-16-23, 12:50 PM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

Received 138 Likes on 108 Posts

OK.... I'm no expert, but it appears that coolant got in the engine somehow. maybe ingesting through the intake, if it was spreading coolant like a wet t-shirt contest. Squealing was probably from the drive belt getting drenched and retaining condensation in the belt. Not starting may or may not be an issue, depending if coolant got in the engine.
Old 10-17-23, 06:39 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

I think Tally is right, sounds like you might have sucked up some coolant during the process of all of this... I'd start by pulling the plugs (and probably replacing them with fresh ones while you're in there), inspect the cylinders, and see if you have any coolant in there. If you do I'd get an air hose in there and blow out everything that you can (it's going to be a mess so get ready). After you do this, throw in the new plugs, reinstall everything, change the oil, and check closely for any other missing hardware/seals/hoses before starting it again. As long as you have a little luck on your side nothing should be bent and you may be in good shape.
The following users liked this post:
Bimmerbill (10-18-23)