Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Egr delete '93 sc300 please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-23, 12:04 AM
SCthreehundeezy
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Egr delete '93 sc300 please help

Hi all,

Need some help. Reviving an "old" thread from 2016 lol and before I get the "search" response, I have been researching this for a while now. Reading and re-reading the posts with the MS Paint drawing of the EGR sticker, reading on supra forums, reading on here about completed egr removal... and here is where I am:

Some backstory, I recently bought a mint 1993 sc300 bone stock (2JZGE N/A) with 117k miles from a 75 year old in Princeton NJ(he was the only owner and bought it off the lot in May of '94 with only 107 miles, yea I couldn't believe it either). For $2800 (one of those facebook marketplace barnyard finds) I couldn't pass up on this car, so I impulsively purchased it and began flooding my brain with all there was to know about this engine/car. Fast forward to today, now that I am a proud owner and member of the 2jz club lol, I'm planning to do a tune up and also tackle the egr delete which at first didn't seem so difficult, but after hours and hours of reading various conflicting threads, I'm at a standstill. So my question is does anyone have a picture of everything they removed? Because this is what I am trying to accomplish... EGR removal with no check engine light and a fully functioning evap system. It seems that some of the vacuum hoses used for evap that go through the vsv's need to stay but it seems that egr lines run through there as well. So simply removing it all won't work for me.I want to buy the egr delete plates but it doesn't seem as straight forward as "take it all out and cap it" like many of the posts have shown.

So if anyone has a picture of exactly what they removed and has an engine idling normally with no CEL that would be extremely helpful as I prepare for this task.

I'll be using the resistor for the egr as well.

Please feel free to post, PM me, text me at 201- six five four - 283 eight.
Any help is GREATLY appreciated!
Old 10-22-23, 07:05 PM
Turbostar
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Not to take any wind out of your sails, but why are you so set on EGR delete right now? I have a 93 SC300 also, and you can see the build thread in my signature. It is fun to drive it, and it drives well, even with the stock engine with the EGR stuff in place.

I am planning on going NA-T soon, and I will delete all the EGR stuff then, but unless you are planning on other engine modifications right now, just drive it with the EGR stuff in place. The car will drive just fine.
The following users liked this post:
KahnBB6 (10-22-23)
Old 10-22-23, 08:02 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Is there an EGR temp sensor? If not cap the vacuum line going to the EGR valve no need to remove anything.
Old 10-23-23, 07:28 PM
GAsc300
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

This might help a little with your future egr block off project.

you mentioned that photo another club Lexus guy posted that had the vacuum diagram from our hoods and colored the different lines showing which ones to remove, keep same and reroute. After egr delete it’s mostly removal of lines no longer needed. This photo is very helpful. I reposted it below. The colors are key: red lines are removed, blue are kept the same, yellow are added (rerouted).

i have my egr blocked off but I never removed all the pieces so photos of my engine bay won’t help ya as it will look like yours with egr stuff still in place.

The block off part of job is the harder part, the vacuum lines are easy.

here’s a photo of the egr piece (without the egr pipe attached):

In the photo above, the view is where the egr connects to “engine”. you’ve gotta fill the space of those two black channels with a block off plate. It’s damn tough to work in the space available to do this. On the other side of this egr piece would be the egr pipe. The egr temperature sensor screws into the egr pipe. After you add the block off plate, the egr and all its components are no longer needed. The sensor will continue to trigger cel until resistor added to it (or other fix applied).

If you left egr system in place and just unplugged and applied resistor mod to egr temp sensor, you’d get rid of cel without needing to do any more work. But whatever is going on with your egr will stay the same until you clean or replace components or block it off.

—GAsc300
Old 10-24-23, 08:36 PM
SCthreehundeezy
6th Gear

i just took off the egr pipe but i dont see where the temp sensor screws in? I have a 93 sc300 for better context, from what i read my year sc300 has an egr temp sensor but maybe im missing something, please let me know lol

Old 10-24-23, 08:55 PM
SCthreehundeezy
6th Gear

NVM i just checked the engine bay, I just saw the temp sensor connected to the actual egr. Im dumb...
Old 10-24-23, 10:44 PM
GAsc300
Driver

You holding the egr pipe as you realize. Yeah the sensor screws into the egr itself. Importantly though, I realize I misstated where the block off piece goes. You block off where the egr pipe meets the engine, not the back of the egr. Sorry.

here’s photo of egr block off plate for once sold by Arizona Performance. I ended up making my own but they were gonna be my fallback if I failed. Couple years ago.

you can see how their plate fits where the egr pipe would be in a functioning system and how their silicone ring seals to help blocks off flow:

Old 10-25-23, 11:49 PM
SCthreehundeezy
6th Gear

Thanks so much for that diagram, this one makes the most sense out of the countless ones I've seen, ordered the egr delete kit last night, just playing the waiting game now lol. I get where one of the plates goes for the egr delete(where the bottom of the egr pipe meets the block), just a little uncertain where the other one goes since the top of the egr pipe is cylindrical, im assuming I'd block off where the actual egr valve meets the pelenum i think. Im pretty sure ill figure it out, just dont have the engine infront of me to check since its already dark out and i went inside.
Bimmerbill (10-26-23)
Old 10-26-23, 06:36 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Received 327 Likes on 253 Posts

Hey SCthreehundeezy,
This a mod I have been wanting to do for a long time. Please share with me your source for the block off kit you have ordered. I would appreciate very much.
Thanks again,
Bill
Old 10-26-23, 08:32 AM
GAsc300
Driver

Originally Posted by SCthreehundeezy
Thanks so much for that diagram, this one makes the most sense out of the countless ones I've seen, ordered the egr delete kit last night, just playing the waiting game now lol. I get where one of the plates goes for the egr delete(where the bottom of the egr pipe meets the block), just a little uncertain where the other one goes since the top of the egr pipe is cylindrical, im assuming I'd block off where the actual egr valve meets the pelenum i think. Im pretty sure ill figure it out, just dont have the engine infront of me to check since its already dark out and i went inside.
You moving quickly and getting things accomplished. All that egr stuff was a huge pain in the **** I recall. I remember having heavily bruised forearms after removing and cleaning and then reconnecting those various egr components. Soaking the pipe, cleaning out all them channels and lines. And then doing it again for block-off stuff after fix attempts failed. So congrats to you!

as to that block plate photo I posted from
arizona performance… yes it was very helpful to me when I actually saw it too. It’s confusing that they write the part has two pieces. It’s just one doggone block off plate. They photo the top and bottom of plate and put em side by side. The “two pieces” I bet are the block off plate and the screws or maybe the silicone gasket (but I bet that’s attached). If you look at their photos of that shiny engine you might be able to find their block off plate installed in it.

but yeah, just one thing to block off as you wrote: where bottom of egr pipe meets block.

Good luck!

GAsc300
Old 10-27-23, 09:20 PM
GAsc300
Driver

Originally Posted by Bimmerbill
Hey SCthreehundeezy,
This a mod I have been wanting to do for a long time. Please share with me your source for the block off kit you have ordered. I would appreciate very much.
Thanks again,
Bill
Hey bimmerbill,

I’m pretty sure he went with the place I posted photo from: Arizona Performance, link
being
http://www.a-r-z.com/2JZ-GE-EGR-Bloc...uded_p_61.html

that link sure looks weird but it will take you to the order page.

I just reread their description and they mention it coming with 2 block off plates. I didn’t end up buying anything from them as I made my own plate so I can’t recommend anything other than to say it looks good and seems a reasonable enough price $42 plus tax and maybe shipping.

good luck,

GAsc300
Old 10-27-23, 10:37 PM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

GAsc300
I tried Arizona Performance and the guy I talked to stated that the company had been sold to Drift Motion. I will try there but I bet the price has gone up at least $10.00 now and if so I will make my own also for I have just remembered I have a piece of aluminum plate in the garage. Thanks for responding.
Bill
Old 10-29-23, 08:20 AM
GAsc300
Driver

GAsc300
I tried Arizona Performance and the guy I talked to stated that the company had been sold to Drift Motion. I will try there but I bet the price has gone up at least $10.00 now and if so I will make my own also for I have just remembered I have a piece of aluminum plate in the garage. Thanks for responding.
Bill
Bimmerbill,

I used something close to 1/8 inch steel (I’m pretty sure) for mine. Think it was Home Depot that had section of randomly sized metal pieces in different thicknesses.
Someone from Supra site explained job this way:“ I simply removed the EGR from the intake manifold (2 nuts and a securing bolt), undid the electrical connector, unscrewed and disconnected the large nut holding the two pieces of the EGR together (not necessary), then got at the two bolts on the engine side of the EGR and removed it all.

Assembly was super easy, bolt on the plates with some gasket sealant and reused the old metal gaskets, installed the resistor, and plugged up the 3 vaccuum lines. Reset the ECU and it started up”

Bimmerbill (10-29-23)
Old 10-29-23, 05:37 PM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

GAsc300,
Thank you for this information. I am going to call Drift Motion tomorrow and if the price has not gone up I will buy. But if it has I will make them out of the aluminum plate that I mentioned and use the old gaskets with sealant. Oh by the way have you checked the price on new gaskets?
If you ever come to Mobile I will send you my phone number and we can have lunch
Bill
Old 10-29-23, 08:00 PM
GAsc300
Driver

GAsc300,
Oh by the way have you checked the price on new gaskets?
If you ever come to Mobile I will send you my phone number and we can have lunch
Bill
Thanks and that would be cool. I’m little outside Athens, GA.
Good luck with the job. I’ll bet aluminum could work fine too. Would be easier to cut too. Could always double up on the aluminum layers it to make it thicker if needed. Seems like that could work anyway. No, I never looked into the gasket prices.

GAsc300