Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Would like to get 1997 SC300 going DIY - Hints?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-23, 05:43 PM
patstizzi
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would like to get 1997 SC300 going DIY - Hints?

Hi All,

I just inherited this car. My brother bought it online and not sure if it ever ran. It’s been sitting in his garage for a long time. It’s at 1997 sc300 with about 120k miles on it. I just put a working battery in it. I am trying to start it up but just keeps trying. Here is a video.

would love some hints if this is something straight forward to troubleshoot, a starter, fuel pump? I am thinking to have it towed to a repair shop but not sure how much this work will cost to get it going again. Seems like a nice car.

thanks !

Last edited by patstizzi; 10-22-23 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Updating link
Old 10-23-23, 06:26 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

Hey there, welcome to ClubLexus! That appears to be an SC400, not an SC300.

That said, you'll want to check the three things that make a car run - fuel, spark, and air. I'd check for fuel pressure at the rail, then injectors, and plugs/wires.
Old 10-23-23, 12:33 PM
Klapped96
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Welcome welcome. alrighty so ya got yourself a garage queen thats sat there for a couple years. so here's a few basic thing you can do yourself just to try and isolate you're no start.
1. by your words you just dropped a battery and went for it. good news starters healthy, cranking just fine. first simple step especially for sitting for who knows how long, grab a gas can and fill it up with the high grade 93 octane. It's what sc400's like yours crave. chances are you might have some stale gas and it needs a refresher. nothing much. 3-5 gallons should be plenty.
2. Check your engine air box. make sure the filters clean and espescially no rodent nests. that being said check over everything else. look for chewed up wires or evidence of rodents.
3. you checked it over and no obvious signs of mice meddling. great. now give it a crank. does it start? Yes? fantastic. no? ****. alright then. gonna have to dig a bit further.
Please dont take me as an ***. I just dont know how versed you are in repair but this should be basic enough for you to help eliminate possible issues.
Hope it helps
Tom (Klapped96)
The following 2 users liked this post by Klapped96:
Bimmerbill (10-24-23), patstizzi (10-23-23)
Old 10-23-23, 06:44 PM
patstizzi
2nd gear

Default Will dig deeper. Found rat feces

Thank you for the reply. I’ll start digging based on your recommendations. There isn’t a noticeable rat nest but there is rat s@@t on the block. I don’t see chewed wires but could be…

The gas tank is nearly full so I think I need to empty it and put some fresh gas in there. It’s probably been sitting 10 years.

thank you again for the pointers! I can do basic stuff but haven’t dug deep before so thanks for breaking it down.

Originally Posted by Klapped96
Welcome welcome. alrighty so ya got yourself a garage queen thats sat there for a couple years. so here's a few basic thing you can do yourself just to try and isolate you're no start.
1. by your words you just dropped a battery and went for it. good news starters healthy, cranking just fine. first simple step especially for sitting for who knows how long, grab a gas can and fill it up with the high grade 93 octane. It's what sc400's like yours crave. chances are you might have some stale gas and it needs a refresher. nothing much. 3-5 gallons should be plenty.
2. Check your engine air box. make sure the filters clean and espescially no rodent nests. that being said check over everything else. look for chewed up wires or evidence of rodents.
3. you checked it over and no obvious signs of mice meddling. great. now give it a crank. does it start? Yes? fantastic. no? ****. alright then. gonna have to dig a bit further.
Please dont take me as an ***. I just dont know how versed you are in repair but this should be basic enough for you to help eliminate possible issues.
Hope it helps
Tom (Klapped96)
Old 10-23-23, 07:21 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,929 Likes on 2,467 Posts

Broken timing belt is possible check compression.
The following users liked this post:
Bimmerbill (10-24-23)
Old 10-24-23, 01:01 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Received 327 Likes on 253 Posts

patstizzi
LeX2K is right on the money with the broken timing belt. After a car sits up for a long time the belt will get a set in it and then someone comes along and tries to crank it and the belt will break. This is not a 100% but it does happen. Good luck on this new project. Enjoy it.
Bill
Old 10-28-23, 09:25 PM
tfwnoturbo
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

it *sounds* like it has compression, a car cranking over with no compression won't have the constantly changing pitch of it's startup noise, will sound more uniform. Furthermore if the timing belt was indeed snapped it'd probably be incapable of pushing the valves shut and would just lock up after your first crank attempt and just stop turning over entirely. I'd start checking for fuel given it's been sitting a while, since old fuel goes bad and rusts the fuel pump and tank from the inside and can also push rust and debris to the injectors as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by tfwnoturbo:
Bimmerbill (10-29-23), Klapped96 (10-30-23)
Old 10-29-23, 09:49 PM
RobbieTex
4th Gear

Welcome to the club. New member myself.