Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

No power steering after rack and pinion replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-23, 09:24 AM
louis2456
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power steering after rack and pinion replacement

Just replaced the steering rack in my 99’ sc400 and the power steering feels completely gone even after Turning lock to lock and topping off reservoir. Any suggestions?
Old 11-14-23, 11:31 AM
- V -
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 123 Posts

You'll need to give more info, like what rack you used, OEM or aftermarket, variable or not, did you do the work or had a shop do it?
Old 11-14-23, 12:43 PM
louis2456
3rd Gear

I used a remanufactured rack and I put it in myself.after testing it some more the power steering will work at higher rpm’s but is stuck when the car is at idle. I’m wondering if it’s some problem with the pump (pump is leaky and should probably be replaced next anyways) or something with the solenoid from the new rack?
Old 11-14-23, 02:29 PM
- V -
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 123 Posts

Did the new rack come with a solenoid or did you have to swap it in from your old one. These cars have variable power steering that tightens up at higher speed which is controlled by a solenoid on the steering rack. If you didn't plug it in, it could be stuck in the 'tight' mode.

If i remember correctly, the 99 SC400 also uses a different rack from the other model years (I could be wrong on this one). You may want to double check that the one you have will work for your specific model year. Some places will say 92-00 even thought the later year cars aren't compatible.

EDIT:
forgot to mention one more thing. When you decide to deal with the leaky pump, you're more than likely going to have to rebuild it because the 99-00 sc400 pump is different from the rest and its VERY unlikely that you'll find one. If you do it will probably be an arm and a leg. When you do fix the leak, replace the alternator along with it because it will fail shortly after. Your power steering fluid is leaking into the alternator right now. When you fix the leak the fluid in there will turn into gunk and you'll end up having to replace it which is much more of a pain in the *** when the power steering pump is there. This is what most threads i read said and i chose to do it one at a time and sure enough once i rebuilt my pump, a few months later the alternator crapped out and was a pain to take out and replace. Have fun!

Last edited by - V -; 11-14-23 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-14-23, 02:49 PM
louis2456
3rd Gear

It came with a new solenoid which is plugged in. I don’t think it’s the variable steering because it’ll work fine at 3k rpm’s in park but it’s still extremely tight when driving the car at a low engine speed. I’ve also noticed my rpm’s don’t change when I turn on the wheel at idle which they use too before I started the rack replacement. Not sure if this could be an issue with the new solenoid? I Just ordered a replacement pump and I’m going to try and flush the system tonight and try to make sure the fluids circulating.not sure where else to go besides that and checking the connections to the solenoid.

Edit: Yes I made sure the rack was a 1999 specifically, and for the pump I’ve found threads on here that show you can use the 98-00 ls400 pump just with the original bracket. Thanks for the reminder on the alternator, I’ll definitely have to order one too as mine is completely covered in ps fluid.

Last edited by louis2456; 11-14-23 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-15-23, 04:51 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Received 327 Likes on 253 Posts

I love dumb questions and here is mine for today. Did you purge the system?
Bill