Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Is it possible to manually move the steering wheel? (1992 SC400)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-24, 11:35 AM
XsSC400
3rd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Is it possible to manually move the steering wheel? (1992 SC400)

Hi all,

Before I ask my question, I'm aware of the threads about using the washers to fix the tilt telescopic. This option isn't really available to me as my motor/gear doesn't even make a noise or engage when I press the button to tilt the telescopic (My up down motion doesn't work, the in/out one still makes a clicking noise as if it were trying to engage). I'd like to replace the motor at some point but currently I have other maintenance that's higher priority and will need to be taken care of first.

My question is, can I manually adjust the steering wheel to my liking and just keep it locked there until I have the time/funds to replace the tilt telescopic motor?

Vehicle is a 1992 SC400.
Old 02-05-24, 03:12 PM
GAsc300
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Do those denso motors ever fail? I’d assume it’s still working and follow procedure for adding washer or investigate components further. The procedure will let u view gear and see exactly what it’s doing when you power it. There’s also wiring issues and or fuses at play to consider.

I’ve seen partouts with those motors for sale and I wanna say I’ve seen $79 as price once.

this doesn’t address getting it to work manually, I realize
Old 02-05-24, 09:47 PM
XsSC400
3rd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GAsc300
Do those denso motors ever fail? I’d assume it’s still working and follow procedure for adding washer or investigate components further. The procedure will let u view gear and see exactly what it’s doing when you power it. There’s also wiring issues and or fuses at play to consider.

I’ve seen partouts with those motors for sale and I wanna say I’ve seen $79 as price once.

this doesn’t address getting it to work manually, I realize
Thank you for response @GAsc300. Was just about to update the thread with some new info and it might tie into what you brought up.

Over the weekend I went to remove the brick phone antenna off my windshield. The wire was connected on the inside and there was no other way I knew to disconnect (outside of removing the headliner) so I decided to cut it.

When I went to cut it, I wanted to be safe so I disconnected the battery. When I reconnected the battery I heard the steering wheel make the gear engage sound, but it didn’t move the wheel. Which was great news.

Went ahead and proceeded to open it back up to do the washer method. The button didn’t make the engage sound after I opened it but I figured since I was there I’d follow through and add the washers anyway.

Did one more battery disconnect/reconnect and telescopic is back to life haha. Good ole power cycle did the trick!

Could very well have to do with fuses/wiring for why it wouldn’t engage. Thank you for input!

hope this thread helps someone else.
Old 02-06-24, 12:12 AM
GAsc300
Driver

Hey, that’s great news that it’s back in working order. So it could be loose wire, bad ground, loose battery cables. Hope it stays right for ya.

It’s a battle sometimes with these cars and it stinks when problem stops car from being driven til ya figure it out or get the parts.

good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by GAsc300:
Bimmerbill (02-06-24), XsSC400 (02-06-24)
Old 02-06-24, 06:22 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Received 327 Likes on 253 Posts

Hey Guys,
Just a note from the Bleachers,
I told a friend (now retired) that worked at Lexus that I had found an SC300 at a fantastic buy and I was going to buy it. He said no, no back away from it. He said you just don't know what you are getting into, with all the electrical problems. No mention of mechanical problems. I turned a deft ear and later that same day I took ownership of my prize. That was six years ago and I have just plowed straight ahead which is the best advice I can share with anyone. And yes I installed the washers when I got the car (thanks to an article here) and have not had a problem in 45K miles. Good luck to both of you in your ownership of one of the most beautiful cars ever.
Bill
The following users liked this post:
XsSC400 (02-06-24)
Old 02-06-24, 06:44 AM
GAsc300
Driver

Originally Posted by Bimmerbill
Hey Guys,
Just a note from the Bleachers,
I told a friend (now retired) that worked at Lexus that I had found an SC300 at a fantastic buy and I was going to buy it. He said no, no back away from it. He said you just don't know what you are getting into, with all the electrical problems. No mention of mechanical problems. I turned a deft ear and later that same day I took ownership of my prize. That was six years ago and I have just plowed straight ahead which is the best advice I can share with anyone. And yes I installed the washers when I got the car (thanks to an article here) and have not had a problem in 45K miles. Good luck to both of you in your ownership of one of the most beautiful cars ever.
Bill
Great words, BimmerBill! I’ve been keeping two SC300s on road as near-daily drivers for past few years. In the middle of some frustrating work on both of them right now, but nothing I wouldn’t have had to face on cars half their age.
The following 2 users liked this post by GAsc300:
Bimmerbill (02-06-24), XsSC400 (02-06-24)